Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

SpeedPuck- Pros and Cons?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• We had a speed puck on my Stiletto 27 for first time this weekend.

It got cooked in the sun and now only reads "1.45" and is stuck on that display.
    Removing batteries has not fixed it.

Back to manufacturer it goes..

Cheers

Al
  • Interesting!! I wonder if they are using "offshore" resources to build and test their units.

When I first received my SpeedPuck, it could not get a satellite fix and I had to send it back for exchange. They obviously don't turn them on because it was immediately apparent on mine that it wasn't working. It sounds the same for your unit.

Have them send it back to you overnight and make them throw in a hoodie! I wish I asked for a hoodie but they did ship it overnight at their expense.
  • TahoePrindle18We had a speed puck on my Stiletto 27 for first time this weekend.
    It got cooked in the sun and now only reads "1.45" and is stuck on that display.
    Removing batteries has not fixed it.

So it was in direct sunlight at like 95 degrees for a day and that killed it?
    It will melt off my boom in Arizona. That isn't going to work.
    Disappointing.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • It was ambient around 70f and in direct sunlight 50% of the time.
    Looks like 1.45 is the software version so looks like the unit is hanging up on booting.

Bummed that it blew up on first time out for such an expensive piece of gear.
  • klozhaldSo it was in direct sunlight at like 95 degrees for a day and that killed it?
    It will melt off my boom in Arizona. That isn't going to work.
    Disappointing.

Bob, great product, well designed, tough as nails, and backed by great customer support. It ain't gonna melt. As with any electronics, you get a problem some times. Al, is it still in the warranty period? Customer support should take care of it.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Its being returned.
    When it worked it was great really liked the big digits on the front of the Stiletto cockpit tray
  • Klozhald
    bachoI have found my iPhone very difficult to read in the sun and battery life to be a major problem to be used on the boat.

I had the same battery problem initially. Turning off wireless, bluetooth and 3G in the phone made a big difference in battery life. The latest software update has a more contrasty readout interface, but I have yet to try it in the summer AZ sun.

I tested the app on the lake for three hours this weekend with dissapointing results. The app (MotionX-GPS) works well but with the iPhone in a waterproof bag around my neck the screen was not bright enough to see effectively. I have used the software quite a bit in rehearsal prior to this, but I did not memoriuze the location of buttons or the sequence of screens, so I barely got a tracing of our 3 hour path and a few on the go readings of our speed and direction. The bubbles trapped by the AquaPac film over the screen could be eliminated and this will help, but I can't say I have resolved that yet. The battery usage was good with everything else turned off, though. I had 68% battery left after three hours.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • If you're mounting an iPhone or iPod on the boom or on deck, do you think some form of hood would give you the contrast you need to see the screen? I use one on the screen on my photography rig, and it works well. But it's got a really restricted angle of view.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7058/6811077496_5f0cd26fcf_z.jpg

It's just some black ABS plastic bent into a box shape and attached with Velcro. Leaving the bottom open like that gives access for fingers (important on an iPhone, but not so much on a monitor like this), but if you can set up the iPhone first and then slap the hood on, the hood could be a complete wrap-around.

I haven't tried this yet, but I was hoping to. I'm just bummed that most of the iPhone speed apps won't do decimal knots. I'd like to know if I'm doing 11.2 knots versus 11.6!

Tom

--
    Tom Benedict
    Island of Hawaii
    P-Cat 18 / Sail# 361 / HA 7633 H / "Smilodon"
    --
  • benedictI haven't tried this yet, but I was hoping to. I'm just bummed that most of the iPhone speed apps won't do decimal knots. I'd like to know if I'm doing 11.2 knots versus 11.6!

MotionX-GPS does show decimals in miles and knots. They may have a free version, but I bought the full app with NOAA map for US$4.00.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Hey cool! $4 is cheap compared to everything else that goes into a boat. I may go ahead and install it, and try this with a hood.

Barring any unfortunate accidents, I should have my boat out on the water this weekend (FINALLY!!) so I can start to play with all this stuff!

Tom

--
    Tom Benedict
    Island of Hawaii
    P-Cat 18 / Sail# 361 / HA 7633 H / "Smilodon"
    --
  • ~~ Garmen has 2 for the wrist.. A 301 & 401.. This is the link for the 301
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/…470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.