Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Mast repair?  Bottom

• I was lowering my mast to cover up my H16 for the winter and my mast ( somehow half full of water ) was too heavy for me and fell and broke up near the comp tip (it's fine). Is there any way to repair - weld the aluminum area, or do I just need to buy a whole new mast? I'm in N Mississippi at the DSA. I've seen alot of neglected rotting away cats there - wonder if one of the members would sell me their boat for parts? Will a mast from a different brand cat of the same size work at all?? I've got several months to hopefully work this out :-/
    Thanks guys!!
    Tim

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • I'm assuming the metal tore away and is heavily corroded. Probably not worth trying to weld. A used mast should be easy to obtain. Watch Craigslist. I see hobie 16s on there all the time for less than $400. Buy one and part the rest to get your money back.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Yeah, if it were a hard to find stayed mast in good shape you could sleeve it and repair with rivets and sealant (no welding required) but you would still need a piece from another mast to make the sleeve. Hobie 16 masts are so common it likely isn't worth the time and effort. If you see some of those old cast and they aren't on the local craigslist your best bet is to just knock on the owners door and ask them. A lot of people who have an old hobie sitting in the bush would just be happy to see you remove the old hulk from thier lot.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • There's a members list at the sailing club here, I'll get some names/numbers when it warms up ( doors always locked ). The mast is(was) solid and in great condition. The break was a clean snap. Looks like a common mast. Can I re use the comp tip on a different mast? It looks great still. I imagine winter would be time to buy parts since no ones sailing around here ;) thanks for your input guys!!
    Tim

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    --
  • My experience is that there are a lotta 16s languishing on beaches everywhere. If you're always scanning, and asking to find the owners, you'll come across boats for little money, to free.

Dave
  • Tim - this Bo in Biloxi, i have an extra hobie 16 mast. i bought a h16 a few weeks ago for the trailer, the hulls were soft and no good, so i pitched them and kept some extra parts. The mast seems to be in good shape, it has been repainted at some point in it's history, but it is straight and the halyard is good. I will be in greenwood in two weeks duck hunting. If you are interested i can bring it to greenwood on top of my suburban. i would be interested in trading for your comptip or just selling it. let me know your thoughts. Bo
  • I sent a 24 inch front crossbar piece from a P-16 along with a sample of the internal box aluminum (used where coñecter bolts go thru) to Jose Luis in Santiago, Chile in Nov. Haven´t heard yet if he has been able to splice his mast. Pete
  • Thanks Bo for the mast! Great Karma alert!
    Thanks to all who have contacted me and offered to help!
    Tim

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    --
  • tim - i am glad it worked out for both of us. i think are fair trade on each side one used mast for one used comp tip. now come sail with us on the coast. Ocean springs has some great regattas lined up this year. Bo

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.