Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Cheap source for shackles, hardware  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Any suggestions on cheap sources for stainless hardware for hobies? Hobie Cat tends to charge some steep prices for their shackes and such.

--
    Karl, Captain of Stayin' Thirsty
    2011 Hobie 16SE
    Atlanta, GA
    --
  • I looked up most of the shackles from Hobie and they range in price from $ 4.50-$5.50. You could replace almost all of them at one time for abou $25-$35. In my opinion thats not bad at all. I always believe in supporting my local Hobie dealer, if you don't, when you really need something Hobie specific, they might no longer be there.
  • 10-4 and agreed. What I was looking for was some of the quick release pins and such, which can be mighty expensive ($25 and up). I should have been more specific. Living in Atlanta, there's not a "local shop" to deal with, so any options would be great.

--
    2011 Hobie 16SE
    Atlanta, GA
    --
  • there are very few places i would suggest using a quick pin on a cat.
    sure they are easier than turning a shackle pin (as if that's hard)... i recently saw someone with 2 quick pins in his forestay chainplate (h18). When i asked why 2.. he said "i dont trust them"..... LOL $45 in quick pins vs 1 $4 shackle

they can:
    seize and need to be drilled out (happens often on hiking sticks, and anywhere they are left)
    worm a hole into any brass clewplate (dont ask me how i know) and pop out at the WORST TIME
    are very expensive and only save you a minute of rigging time.

If you need parts Murry's is a standard... www.apsltd.com is pretty great, http://www.saltydogmarine.com/ is good and you can call my local guy ... Ellie's Sailing Shop (727) 442-3281
  • I use a quick pin to attach my Boom to the mast and to attach my boom to the sail and to attach the mainsheet to the boom. Everything else is clevis pin or shackles. The last one I probably don't have to have but sometimes it is easier to remove this pin on the beach when I want to free the sail quickly than the other as it can be under a bit of load or still has outhaul applied or something. On the beach I usually drop the boom and let the sail fly free in the wind at least while I am close by to watch it.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • QuoteI use a quick pin to attach my boom to the sail .

I had a quick pin worm out the clew plate on my H18 sail. It failed during a tack in high winds right next to a seawall and bridge. the wind was pushing me into the seawall and close to the bridge. If my crew didn't lash the main to the boom... my cat would have been destroyed... that was the last time i did that with a quick pin.

QuoteI use a quick pin to attach my Boom to the mast .

Probably fine use here.. but if it came out.... could be devastating

QuoteOn the beach I usually drop the boom and let the sail fly free in the wind at least while I am close by to watch it.

To each their own, but that will let your main beat its self up in any real wind. I personally leave the boom on and outhaul it. this will dramatically reduce the flagging and without blocks, we would need a 110" wind shift to really be an issue (flip)
  • QuoteOn the beach I usually drop the boom and let the sail fly free in the wind at least while I am close by to watch it.

Boom on, blocks unhooked, downhaul off, outhaul on full.

There are 2 West Marine's around atlanta. The one on Cobb Pky is not so great but the Buford store is pretty good for sailing stuff.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • In Panama City I found that the local Hobie dealer (sunjammers) had better prices than west marine on misc hardware. I order online for most of my parts and buy a few extras

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • I don't notice any problem with the sail loose withou he boom on the beach . It just swing with them wind I doesn't beat itself or anything like a loose jib. The main reason I do this is the connection from the blocks uses a quick pin+shackle and the pin is tied to the shackle but you could still drop both together if your not really careful. As for the connection from boom to sail on the P18 it is almost like it was mad for a quick pin. Their is no clew plate only a gromet that slides between the two upright pieces on the outhaul. Pop in the pin and your ready to go.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • QuoteI don't notice any problem with the sail loose without he boom on the beach . It just swing with them wind I doesn't beat itself or anything like a loose jib.

to each their own... but on all 3 of my cats (h16,h18,m5.5) the sails would flog if left without an outhauled boom in anything over say 12mph. in 15-20 its just ugly.

a few years back, we got hit with a squall line. my cat was on the beach and i simply touched my jib cleat to make sure it was snug and the jib flew open and was shredded. i currently still use some of that jib as a seat cover when i leave the beach after a day sailing

Edited by MN3 on Aug 25, 2011 - 08:38 AM.
  • QuoteThere are 2 West Marine's around atlanta. The one on Cobb Pky is not so great but the Buford store is pretty good for sailing stuff.

Thanks, I'm not too far from Buford and will look into it.

--
    2011 Hobie 16SE
    Atlanta, GA
    --
  • Quotei simply touched my jib cleat to make sure it was snug and the jib flew open and was shredded.

As a result of your experience at making dental floss, I never leave my furling line just in the cleat. I use a cleat on the mast,(the old jib downhaul cleat) As soon as I cleat the line, I wrap the rest around the mast a few times, so that it holds the line in the cleat, then secure it with a couple of 1/2 hitches.
    Of course if that line were to break, all would be for naught, so when I leave the boat overnight, or longer, I have another bit of line that is always left attached to the clew cringle of the jib. I wrap that around the furled jib & tie. It might be overkill, but I sleep better if we are away for a week.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I rock a bunch of the quick pins too. Boat came that way. Doubled up in the forestay and shrouds. They are wired to each other which is nice. They are on both ends of the main block, tiller extention, and lastly my homemade sail tube. Bought the boat used and was already loaded up with'em.

Gotta keep the sand OUT.

--
    The Bone
    H16
    Mass / NH
    --
  • I used to use one on my forestay but after all I have heard here I am with the no quick pins in the standing rigging crowd.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • MN3
    to each their own... but on all 3 of my cats (h16,h18,m5.5) the sails would flog if left without an outhauled boom in anything over say 12mph. in 15-20 its just ugly.

If it's 15-20 and I am not sailing my main is probably not even up. I have had it blow over on me once on the beach when i thought nothing was cleated in and don't want o see it again. It was to embarrassing. I felt the wind pickup and change direction and was 15 ft from the boat and moving towards it to turn it when damn thing blew over on top of me and sent me ass over teakettle in 6 inches of water in front of everyone. There were a half a dozen cats on the beach but was the only one to move.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • Just a reminder, most quick pins are hollow, more prone to fail at the worst time. It is always best to release the downhaul and outhaul while the boat is at rest on the shore. Next time there is a strong breeze put the downhaul on and then release it. You will notice a significant difference.
  • My buddies cat West Marine told me that the price of quick pins has fallen and where a good bargain... icon_cool
    Bill 404 21SE

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • QuoteJust a reminder, most quick pins are hollow, more prone to fail at the worst time. It is always best to release the downhaul and outhaul while the boat is at rest on the shore. Next time there is a strong breeze put the downhaul on and then release it. You will notice a significant difference.

I strongly disagree with releasing the outhaul.

On all my cats the boom / main will swing pretty violently on the beach until i tighten the outhaul. it reduces the swing by about 80% in med-med/heavy air
  • QuoteIf it's 15-20 and I am not sailing my main is probably not even up. I have had it blow over on me once on the beach when i thought nothing was cleated in and don't want o see it again. It was to embarrassing.

Yes.. can be embarassing... but screw em... who cares!!!! A few years ago we had 2 camera men in the water and we were flying a hull over them.. I got hit with a puff, and at the worst time my tiller extension failed... over i went .. ON video. Some guy was laughing at me and i said to him "you dont even know me, you can't laugh at me.." He then told me a story about falling off his H18 wing in front of the beach... his shorts got ripped off him and he was dragged across the entire beach with his ass hanging out mooning everyone. I conceded and said "laugh away at me...you win!"... stupid stuff happens!!!

When we camp.. our cats are on anchor through tide and wind changes and it's not rare they start to dance around and at least 1 cat will go on her side almost every time we camp (given enough time... it will happen). Even when not camping .. in a good breeze.. our cats will dance and a few of them are prone to flying a hull (while on anchor)... always makes it exciting.

I would encourage you to push yourself and sail in 15 (if you are semi-confidant in you skills) as pushing our limits is a good way to increase our skills at sailing. Plus it gets real exciting.

I am a bit concerned about sailing in 20+ this weekend.. (only cause i dont want to break my cat) but can't wait to wear ski goggles and sail over 20mph....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTznLz-lojg
  • MN3I would encourage you to push yourself and sail in 15 (if you are semi-confidant in you skills) as pushing our limits is a good way to increase our skills at sailing. Plus it gets real exciting.

I am a bit concerned about sailing in 20+ this weekend.. (only cause i don't want to break my cat) but can't wait to wear ski goggles and sail over 20mph....

Yes I am actually to the point where that kind of wind doesn't scare me so much and I can get out and have some fun. I am a pretty big guy and am usually with one of my sons so until recently had not really done much but get the hull to lift a bit but never out of the water. Some of this was my weight I think.

The first timed I went out solo I capsized on a bad gybe to to bad weight distribution and timing. Since then I had not been out by myself at it is a chore for me to get back on the hulls to right it and reboard the boat.

A few weeks ago we went to Yuba reservoir on the Sevier River in Central Utah and we had about the best wind experience i think we have ever had on a 4 day sailing campout. First time out was the heaviest wind and there was nothing fancy as I had my Dad on board but it was a very wet ride on the P18. Later the the wind was down a bit and from a more favorable direction and I decided to get back on the horse and go out single handed again. It was some of the best sailing I have ever had. I was able to fly the hulls well out of the water for varying lengths. I only almost fell of the boat backwards once. Had the leeward hull completely underwater from bow to the front beam. There was no sign of try to pitch but I panicked a bit and let out the main too fast.. Got a nice shroud wire bruise on the back of my arm from that one. Almost slid down the tramp once. Overall I started to get the feel of it. The hardest part is I would try to adjust my self forward or back a bit to balance the boat and would move the tiller to much in the process sometimes making the boat shimmy back and forth and lose speed. It is amazing how little you need to move the tiller when sailing fast.

All this is from sitting on the hull as I am to big to trap. What is the best way to make small adjustments when flying? Steering or mainsheet, or both? What works and what don't you want to do? I was mostly using the sheet for flying but the point of sail made a difference in how easy it was to fly.

The next day was more of the same but without the little incidents. Even went out a bit with my son at the helm and flew a bit though I was more inboard to enable the hull to fly easier.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.