Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Which offshore GPS???  Bottom

• I need to be able to put in way points in the GPS (Lat/Long) and get to them over open ocean. I'm talking about 11 to 14 nm reaches with no land in sight to use for nav purposes. I would like to hear recommendations on which GPS you have used in this way. A lot of GPS units "have" the capability, but it is really usable? Two local teams went to the coast last summer and tried to use their handheld units unsuccessfully. One unit would not save the waypoiints and the other one saved the course but was too confusing for the crew to use while sailing.

I will be in a race that uses an oil derrick (11 miles out) and then an island as marks. Once I clear the island, there is a 14 nm broad reach to the finish. Once I round that island I will have little idea which course to sail. If I just use a compass I will have to guess how much side slip I am getting from having my centerboards up. I could run ashore halfway there and have to beat back out to the finish.

To restate, has anyone used and can recommend a marine hand held GPS unit that they have used in offshore racing?
    Sheet In!
    Bob

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • hi Bob, i've been happy with the reasonably basic garmin etrex line for many years.

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/G…C-GPS-Receiver-/70076403

for modern GPS what you want to do is very very basic, you don't even need a map or track

however both are very useful and cost no extra

if you've never owned a handheld GPS the problem is in not getting lost in the hundreds of other options

so get something very soon and use it lots, walking, cycling and driving before you disappear over the horizon with it

Edited by erice on Nov 23, 2011 - 03:03 PM.
  • I use the garmin forrunner 305. Goes on my wrist and is water proof. Easy to use as well.
  • Quoteif you've never owned a handheld GPS the problem is in not getting lost in the hundreds of other options

so get something very soon and use it lots, walking, cycling and driving before you disappear over the horizon with it

erice,

This is good advice, thanks.

I guess what I am wanting is for the GPS to tell me what course I should set on a broad reach with significant side slip (current, waves and centerboards up) to make the set point. Obviously I will know the compass course needed, but I want the GPS to take into account live data and tell me where I am headed in relation to the set point. Is this doable on the Garmin eTrex?

Disappearing over the horizon sounds ominous... maybe i should take flares? :)

Edited by klozhald on Nov 28, 2011 - 09:07 AM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Bob, the answer is yes. Etrex models with navigation will do it all (i.e. Etrex Legend) as will most handhelds with this feature. You can build a route and no matter how you sail it, the software will automatically calculate for what/where you are and proceed you to the next point. If you were to skip a point on the route, the device will figure it out on its own and recalculate and guide you to your next point, without any input from you. The units are even programmed to automatically switch to page views set up to your preference if you like. This is very handy as I'm usually to busy keeping the cat going fast, trapping, sheeting, etc. than to be screwing around with the GPS. Typically I find this handy when sailing to a point that is miles away and/or you cannot see.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Hey Bob,

I have been using the Garmin GPS 96C with an Aquapack for this race for the past five years and it has worked well..... My crew last year had a Garmin 76 that he picked up on Craig's list for $70.00 that had many of the features mine had... and worked just as well

If you get a Garmin, send me your email, and I'll send ya the file that has all the Milt Ingram and Tri-Point race information.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Thank you John,
    I sent you a private post with my email address.
    Bob

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • West Marine has the Garmin GPS Map 76cx on sale for $149.99. It's a good deal, I'm picking up one today.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.