Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Towing a kayak ??  Bottom

• So I'm headed out camping in a couple of weeks. The spot has some awesome fishing, so I would like to bring my kayak out there too. Has anyone ever towed one long distances (approx 12 miles)? Apart from the general towing precautions ( quick release tow line, etc) I just would like an idea if it's no big deal, or if I'm asking for trouble..
    In case it matters, I've got an H18SX, and it's a homebuilt plywood sit-in style kayak, and only weighs around 30lbs.

Thanks in advance...

Edited by flaco on Aug 24, 2011 - 10:36 AM.
  • I towed a plastic yak about 4 miles from my place over to the beach at a provincial park, & once took one of the kids for a pull in one. You need to go out & try towing YOUR boat. Each boat rides a little differently in the water. If you have a rudder on your Yak, put it down. Tie a "V" bridle from each end of the rear beam to the yak. Then you have to experiment with length of towline. Some ride better with some line out, others do better right against the beam. I found that the white water boat (no keel or skeg, rounded bottom) could only be towed with the bow lifted up a bit & tied right to the beam, as close as could be done without interfering with the steering tie bar. If let out behind it would not track a straight line, was constantly turning sideways.
    I was never in more than 10 mph wind.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • some of my friends tow john boats and kayaks when we go camping.

the trick seems to be to create a bridal on the boat being towed (and run under the bows) so the bows are UP and can't dig in or doing a sideways shuffle/fllp

also some one told me they also had to keep their yak very close to the rear beam (on a 20' cat)

PS a quick release on your end is a good idea incase "it hits the fan"
  • QuotePS a quick release on your end is a good idea incase "it hits the fan"

Good idea. I used a really wimpy piece of line. A small yak tows with almost no drag force. I figured if the boat flipped, and/or dug in, it would snap the light line before anything else broke.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • I once towed a 13 foot sailboat called a zuma. The wind was blowing 20mph and my friend was hopeless. He took his sail down, rudder up, and keil up. Turning wasnt any harder. we were flying a haul while his boat was planing high. I made jokes "Thats the fastest that boat will ever go" Hobie 18s are like tow trucks biggthumpup

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Kevin219I once towed a 13 foot sailboat called a zuma. The wind was blowing 20mph and my friend was hopeless. He took his sail down, rudder up, and keil up. Turning wasnt any harder. we were flying a haul while his boat was planing high. I made jokes "Thats the fastest that boat will ever go" Hobie 18s are like tow trucks biggthumpup

Yeah, I used to have a Precision 16 mono. I dismasted in some nasty winds, and ended up getting towed by a 14' Hobie. He was flying a hull the whole way in. I was so humiliated I had to go out and get a Hobie myself...
  • QuoteI once towed a 13 foot sailboat called a zuma.

I damned near bought one of those for the cottage. It was like new, but the lady wanted more than I was willing to pay. After talking to the dealer, & being told,"they are a conservative boat, that's why the sail plan is small", I gave up & got an Invitation. After I got a Cat, & saw the site with Portsmouth numbers, I was really glad she was asking to much. I thinbk I would have been bored after the first bit, at least the Invitation will surf.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • QuoteYeah, I used to have a Precision 16 mono. I dismasted in some nasty winds, and ended up getting towed by a 14' Hobie. He was flying a hull the whole way in. I was so humiliated I had to go out and get a Hobie myself...

Thats really a great story of how you got into cats.

QuoteI damned near bought one of those for the cottage.

I sailed that same zuma for about 5 years. It was fun as a kid but as I grew older it wasn't worth taking out under 20 knots. Then it was a challenge!

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • So I'm curious - any further word on whether this worked well or not? Been exploring the same idea over longer distances and wanted to hear the results.

Thanks!

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.