Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Black anodized mast cleanup and decals  Bottom

• What can you do to clean up or touch up a black anodized mast, polish (well not shine polish but something similar), sand and paint?
    Winter is coming so I'm looking for a project or two.

Also

Does anyone put any type of decals on their masts?
    I'm thinking that some cut vinyl that say 'TheBeachcats.com" in a color to match my sails would look sweet, do these exist yet?
    Maybe something that says Captain: C.Santana or represents a sailing club or association. I've seen this on a cat or two but not many, I haven't really been around so I'm wondering what the community feedback on this is.

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --
  • I had some decals made up for my boat name at http://doityourselflettering.com/ Worked very nicely.

Also plan to put a scale next to the luff track just below the bottom of the my main tack to keep track of downhaul adjustments.

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • Alumabrite is OK, Penetrol is best. Put on a coat every fall it lasts a year or so.
    Stickers need to be UV /outdoor/waterproof vinyl or similar.

--
    H18, H17, P19, Glastron GT-150 (Bond jump boat)
    --
  • Penetrol works great and restoring luster to anodized surfaces is one of it's listed uses. I've more often used regular WD-40 which also cleans and makes the black really pop, doesn't last as long as Penetrol but it's probably already in your toolbox. icon_smile

Don't try to paint the mast unless it's to cover up serious damage.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Just put in an order with Jamestown Distributors for some penetrol and mclube. I haven't found anything locally that will clean up residue from black anodized surfaces. Thanks for the tip.

--
    Karl, Captain of Stayin' Thirsty
    2011 Hobie 16SE
    Atlanta, GA
    --
  • Thanks for the info, didn't even think about penetrol.
    NO PAINT, got it.

I have a family member that cuts vinyl. Jeff if you want we can do something cool for your down haul scale probably cheaper than that site.

Damon, thoughts on "TheBeachCats.com" vinyl? I just want to make sure that it's cool with the admins if I have it on my mast. I've Also maybe we cut and sell them at a reasonable price to members to help spread the name and raise some cash for site maintenance. I don't have any plans on making money, my kickback comes from my cousin when he buys beer for me for giving him something to do.
    Either way you can send me a PM so we can discuss a with a little more privacy if you prefer.

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --
  • I checked out the do it yourself decal site - cool and cheap. Thanks for the link.

--
    John Fricker
    Prindle 16
    Seabrook, Texas
    --
  • For the future, McLube is Silicon spray and Penetrol is paint thinner both sold at hardware stores and probably HD.

--
    H18, H17, P19, Glastron GT-150 (Bond jump boat)
    --
  • Wow, that was worth the price of admission. I've had my boat for about 8 months now. When I brought it home from Marco Island after a great weekend of sailing, all of the black metal was spotted with stains (salt, etc.). After a good sudsy washdown, I put some penetrol on a rag and coated all of the black metal surfaces, quickly followed by a clean rag to take up the excess. The boat looks like new. Awesome tip!!!

--
    Karl, Captain of Stayin' Thirsty
    2011 Hobie 16SE
    Atlanta, GA
    --
  • motivated The boat looks like new.

Are you friggin kidding me? YOUR BOAT IS NEW!

--
    Philip
    --
  • Penetrol has been around for years. Carried in paint stores for making paint easier to apply. Comes in pints, qts and gallons.. (if you have the Queen Mary).. Orange can in the thinner section.. cheers

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.