Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Just thinking......  Bottom

• So everyone agrees that the Hobie Getaway is an awesome platform for larger groups of people, it has the forward tramp and on some models it has the wing seats, the only gripe being that it is somewhat underpowered. So what about throwing a H18 rig on the Getaway just to power it up a bit?

think robinhood

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • As far as i have seen, it is rare that a major change to a sailing design is good in most wind conditions
  • Nice thought, but I'm with MN3. This could be a LOT of work and end up being a pig. The 18 rig has a different forestay angle, is boomless, no centerboards, has smaller rudders- yada yada yada. Your jib will not feed your main like it should, so less power and more difficult trimming. You could have out-of-control helm, even if you change out the whole rudder system. You are introducing a boom into a party situation. You may need custom shrouds... new mainsheet and downhaul blocks... You would spend less money and a whole lot less time if you just went to a sailmaker and had custom sails made- or added a howler.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I agree you could just add a Spinnaker or hooter to it.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • The getaways issue is the hull drag in the water. The leeward hull already digs in way too often with the existing sail plan.

--
    Uwe
    94 Prindle 19 - "überKat"
    DFW, TX
    --
  • There is a difference between a PARTY BOAT and a PERFORMANCE BOAT, don't buy a party boat when you want a performance boat.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.