Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra Rudder System, Pivmatics and Bungee Setup  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• Just replaced the bungees that retract the rudders up. Man! What a difference! My rudders no longer have erectile dysfunction, and I can always count on them to "be ready" when I get close to the "beach".

--
    Eric C

Force 5 project boat
    Unnamed

Previous boat
    1980 Nacra 5.2
    "Double Vision"
    --
  • contact a docter if it last more than 4 hours....

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • I'm tempted sometimes to rig a bungie type assist like that on my Prindle rudders because you really have to pull on them to get them to come up all the way. That sounded really bad but it's true.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • I have the old design rudders without the pivmatic system. If I hit something too hard while going too fast, they could get broken off, or rip off my transom. Being an older sailor, I am much more cautious, so not much chance of that. But when I get close to the beach, it's important for me to be ready. It's a fine line. If you aren't careful, and get in too much of a hurry, they can come up too fast. In this case, you would lose all directional control, and could be screwed.

--
    Eric C

Force 5 project boat
    Unnamed

Previous boat
    1980 Nacra 5.2
    "Double Vision"
    --
  • Quote It's a fine line. If you aren't careful, and get in too much of a hurry, they can come up too fast.

Pop one up early so you only have one to deal with. You'll still have plenty of steering.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • I like having the pivmatics for extra peace of mind, but I don't count on them. Overall I'm more worried about hitting something with the daggerboards than the rudders.

The one caveat with the shock cord. You will probably find that you have to replace it every season to keep the snap in how they retract, a little bit of weathering and they lose some tension. It's not too high a price to pay to get rid of the ED problem. ;)

Regards,
    Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Every season, to add some tension, I just pull the shock cord back from the top and add a couple hog rings. That keeps them nice and tight.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • A more permanent and desirable fix would to be to replace the bungee with a larger size. I went up like two sizes and it made a dramatic improvement. Threading it through the tubes can be a bit a bitch. What I did was fed a line through first, attached it to the bungee and stretched the bungee to get it into and through the tube. Leave the two bitter ends of the bungee exposed out the end of the rudder arm, one on either side of the pin that attaches the tiller cross bar. Then you can simply tie an over had knot and adjust the amount of bungee tension you like, finish with a square not and tuck the tails inside the tubes. This set up works flawlessly and you won't have to mess with it again for years. It will look like this (click on the image to see it in detail).
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=76051&g2_serialNumber=3
    The rudder will retract up and out of the way with authority, which is what you want, especially if you are negotiating beach landings in a strong surf. Check out the yellow boat with the high rudders compared to the others.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=18358&g2_serialNumber=7

--
    Philip
    --
  • QuoteA more permanent and desirable fix would to be to replace the bungee with a larger size. I went up like two sizes and it made a dramatic improvement. Threading it through the tubes can be a bit a *****. What I did was fed a line through first, attached it to the bungee and stretched the bungee to get it into and through the tube. Leave the two bitter ends of the bungee exposed out the end of the rudder arm, one on either side of the pin that attaches the tiller cross bar. Then you can simply tie an over had knot and adjust the amount of bungee tension you like, finish with a square not and tuck the tails inside the tubes. This set up works flawlessly and you won't have to mess with it again for years. It will look like this (click on the image to see it in detail).

+1

This is exactly what I've done, except after tying a knot in the shock cord, I give it a tug and put a couple hog rings on below the knot, and leave it exposed. This is really because I never thought of tucking it back in, but has the slight upside in that I can pull on the 'tail' that's created on the rare occasion it might be necessary and add even more force to bring up the rudder.

I'd add a pic, but basically it's just like mummp's only uglier. FWIW I used 5/16" shock cord. I think it would be quite a feat to fit anything larger.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • Decided to resurrect this thread instead starting new one so we can get to the topic quicker I hope, with out repeating basics.
    I am changing bungee cords on my N5.0 rudders and I am curious of what is the ideal position for the rudder to be in when in up position?
    My theory is to keep them in like 8 o'clock position so when you hit something and PIV-maticks kick up you will still have some steering left. Another pro of this is when cat is stored on the beach rudders will be siting in the sand and not "flying" in the wind, with out tension on the rudder cord. The con of this are the waves hiting rudders when landing on the beach.
    Am I right with this?

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • I set mine to the 9 o'clock position initially, figuring that by the time I get it in the water they will have stretched to about the position you describe. Your reasoning seems sound in wanting them on the ground when parked on the beach and i don't think that a little drag in the surf would be an issue, but I will let more experienced beach cat owners sound off on that one.

--
    Jeremy Hales
    1974 SOLCAT 18
    Salem, OR
    --
  • The pivmatics on my rudder system takes so much force to pop off the tillers and they're not brand new. Any fix for making the pivmatic easier to pop off the tiller?

--
    Zach
    Yorktown, VA
    1984 Nacra 5.7
    --
  • hc16runnerDecided to resurrect this thread instead starting new one so we can get to the topic quicker I hope, with out repeating basics.

Might get better and faster results with a new thread that has N5.0 and rudders in the title. People who have seen this thread before may ignore it because it's old and considered answered.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • windadictDecided to resurrect this thread instead starting new one so we can get to the topic quicker I hope, with out repeating basics.
    I am changing bungee cords on my N5.0 rudders and I am curious of what is the ideal position for the rudder to be in when in up position?
    My theory is to keep them in like 8 o'clock position so when you hit something and PIV-maticks kick up you will still have some steering left. Another pro of this is when cat is stored on the beach rudders will be siting in the sand and not "flying" in the wind, with out tension on the rudder cord. The con of this are the waves hiting rudders when landing on the beach.
    Am I right with this?

Adam,
    Did you read my post earlier in this thread? Flying in the wind? Really? If you want to store the rudders in the sand when stored, simply pull the pull down line and lock it in. I always did this when beached over night. Actually dug the sand a little to let the rudders sit in. Works flawlessly.

If you are concerned about hitting something and maintaining the ability to steer, go to the two line system. One line for lock down and one line for hold up.

I'm always amazed at how people hate the Nacra system, when their experience is from crappy, worn-out hardware and lines. I know that everybody doesn't agree, but the fact is they do work great when set up correctly. Like I have said before, replace with quality robust bungees, use a "quality" pull down line, and change out the cleats to aluminum. It all works good.

--
    Philip
    --
  • klozhald
    hc16runnerDecided to resurrect this thread instead starting new one so we can get to the topic quicker I hope, with out repeating basics.

Might get better and faster results with a new thread that has N5.0 and rudders in the title. People who have seen this thread before may ignore it because it's old and considered answered.

Disagree. There is helpful information here.
    If people ignore it, that's their choice. It further pollutes the sight to have multiple threads that covers a lot of the same issues.

--
    Philip
    --
  • mummp
    Did you read my post earlier in this thread? Flying in the wind? Really? If you want to store the rudders in the sand when stored, simply pull the pull down line and lock it in. I always did this when beached over night. Actually dug the sand a little to let the rudders sit in. Works flawlessly.

Philip, apparently I was blinded by the beautiful view of those cats and missed the second part of your answer. icon_confused I was trying to avoid keeping the tension on the rudder line when not in use. Now, on the second thought the cost of the line is nothing compared to possible rudders or gadgeons damage from the surf when landing on the beach. That makes sense now. icon_eek

QuoteIf you are concerned about hitting something and maintaining the ability to steer, go to the two line system. One line for lock down and one line for hold up.

I installed PIV-matics and 2 line system on my SolCat18 2 years ago and yesterday I ordered 2 extra cleats to install on this N5.0. The system is not perfect but works.

What do you use to prevent tiller bars digging into back side of rudders in up position?

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • mummp
    klozhald
    hc16runnerDecided to resurrect this thread instead starting new one so we can get to the topic quicker I hope, with out repeating basics.

Disagree. There is helpful information here.
    If people ignore it, that's their choice. It further pollutes the sight to have multiple threads that covers a lot of the same issues.

+1 Philip
    I wanted to keep all related information together so they will be easier and quicker found instead going thru multiple threads.

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • i've actually been looking to get new bungie for my boat. What length did you need per side? i've got a nacra 5.7 i measured the cord but forgot the measurement, if i recall correctly it was 5 feet per side.

--
    Nacra 5.7
    Falcon Lake Manitoba
    Canada
    --
  • I can change this thread title to make it easier to find in search.

What would be best?

Nacra Rudder System Repair

Nacra Rudder Kickup Bungee

Nacra Rudder System, Pivmatics

???

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Nacra Rudders, Pivmatics and bungee setup.

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.