Nacra Rudder System, Pivmatics and Bungee Setup

Just replaced the bungees that retract the rudders up. Man! What a difference! My rudders no longer have erectile dysfunction, and I can always count on them to "be ready" when I get close to the "beach".

--
Eric C

Force 5 project boat
Unnamed

Previous boat
1980 Nacra 5.2
"Double Vision"
--
contact a docter if it last more than 4 hours....

--
Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
bill harris
hattiesburg, mississippi
prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
--
I'm tempted sometimes to rig a bungie type assist like that on my Prindle rudders because you really have to pull on them to get them to come up all the way. That sounded really bad but it's true.

--
Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
Member: Utah Sailing Association
1982 Prindle 18
1986 Hobie 17
1982 Prindle 16
1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
--
I have the old design rudders without the pivmatic system. If I hit something too hard while going too fast, they could get broken off, or rip off my transom. Being an older sailor, I am much more cautious, so not much chance of that. But when I get close to the beach, it's important for me to be ready. It's a fine line. If you aren't careful, and get in too much of a hurry, they can come up too fast. In this case, you would lose all directional control, and could be screwed.

--
Eric C

Force 5 project boat
Unnamed

Previous boat
1980 Nacra 5.2
"Double Vision"
--
Quote It's a fine line. If you aren't careful, and get in too much of a hurry, they can come up too fast.

Pop one up early so you only have one to deal with. You'll still have plenty of steering.

--
Rob
OKC
Pile of Nacra parts..
--
I like having the pivmatics for extra peace of mind, but I don't count on them. Overall I'm more worried about hitting something with the daggerboards than the rudders.

The one caveat with the shock cord. You will probably find that you have to replace it every season to keep the snap in how they retract, a little bit of weathering and they lose some tension. It's not too high a price to pay to get rid of the ED problem. ;)

Regards,
Dave

--
Dave Bonin
1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
--
Every season, to add some tension, I just pull the shock cord back from the top and add a couple hog rings. That keeps them nice and tight.

--
Rob
OKC
Pile of Nacra parts..
--
A more permanent and desirable fix would to be to replace the bungee with a larger size. I went up like two sizes and it made a dramatic improvement. Threading it through the tubes can be a bit a bitch. What I did was fed a line through first, attached it to the bungee and stretched the bungee to get it into and through the tube. Leave the two bitter ends of the bungee exposed out the end of the rudder arm, one on either side of the pin that attaches the tiller cross bar. Then you can simply tie an over had knot and adjust the amount of bungee tension you like, finish with a square not and tuck the tails inside the tubes. This set up works flawlessly and you won't have to mess with it again for years. It will look like this (click on the image to see it in detail).
http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=76051&g2_serialNumber=3
The rudder will retract up and out of the way with authority, which is what you want, especially if you are negotiating beach landings in a strong surf. Check out the yellow boat with the high rudders compared to the others.
http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=18358&g2_serialNumber=7

--
Philip
--
QuoteA more permanent and desirable fix would to be to replace the bungee with a larger size. I went up like two sizes and it made a dramatic improvement. Threading it through the tubes can be a bit a *****. What I did was fed a line through first, attached it to the bungee and stretched the bungee to get it into and through the tube. Leave the two bitter ends of the bungee exposed out the end of the rudder arm, one on either side of the pin that attaches the tiller cross bar. Then you can simply tie an over had knot and adjust the amount of bungee tension you like, finish with a square not and tuck the tails inside the tubes. This set up works flawlessly and you won't have to mess with it again for years. It will look like this (click on the image to see it in detail).

+1

This is exactly what I've done, except after tying a knot in the shock cord, I give it a tug and put a couple hog rings on below the knot, and leave it exposed. This is really because I never thought of tucking it back in, but has the slight upside in that I can pull on the 'tail' that's created on the rare occasion it might be necessary and add even more force to bring up the rudder.

I'd add a pic, but basically it's just like mummp's only uglier. FWIW I used 5/16" shock cord. I think it would be quite a feat to fit anything larger.

--
Rob
OKC
Pile of Nacra parts..
--
Decided to resurrect this thread instead starting new one so we can get to the topic quicker I hope, with out repeating basics.
I am changing bungee cords on my N5.0 rudders and I am curious of what is the ideal position for the rudder to be in when in up position?
My theory is to keep them in like 8 o'clock position so when you hit something and PIV-maticks kick up you will still have some steering left. Another pro of this is when cat is stored on the beach rudders will be siting in the sand and not "flying" in the wind, with out tension on the rudder cord. The con of this are the waves hiting rudders when landing on the beach.
Am I right with this?

--
Adam Bartos
Nacra 5.0
SolCat 18 (sold)
Lake Zurich, IL
--
I set mine to the 9 o'clock position initially, figuring that by the time I get it in the water they will have stretched to about the position you describe. Your reasoning seems sound in wanting them on the ground when parked on the beach and i don't think that a little drag in the surf would be an issue, but I will let more experienced beach cat owners sound off on that one.

--
Jeremy Hales
1974 SOLCAT 18
Salem, OR
--
The pivmatics on my rudder system takes so much force to pop off the tillers and they're not brand new. Any fix for making the pivmatic easier to pop off the tiller?

--
Zach
Yorktown, VA
1984 Nacra 5.7
--
hc16runnerDecided to resurrect this thread instead starting new one so we can get to the topic quicker I hope, with out repeating basics.

Might get better and faster results with a new thread that has N5.0 and rudders in the title. People who have seen this thread before may ignore it because it's old and considered answered.

--
Sheet In!
Bob
_/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
(Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
Arizona, USA
--
windadictDecided to resurrect this thread instead starting new one so we can get to the topic quicker I hope, with out repeating basics.
I am changing bungee cords on my N5.0 rudders and I am curious of what is the ideal position for the rudder to be in when in up position?
My theory is to keep them in like 8 o'clock position so when you hit something and PIV-maticks kick up you will still have some steering left. Another pro of this is when cat is stored on the beach rudders will be siting in the sand and not "flying" in the wind, with out tension on the rudder cord. The con of this are the waves hiting rudders when landing on the beach.
Am I right with this?

Adam,
Did you read my post earlier in this thread? Flying in the wind? Really? If you want to store the rudders in the sand when stored, simply pull the pull down line and lock it in. I always did this when beached over night. Actually dug the sand a little to let the rudders sit in. Works flawlessly.

If you are concerned about hitting something and maintaining the ability to steer, go to the two line system. One line for lock down and one line for hold up.

I'm always amazed at how people hate the Nacra system, when their experience is from crappy, worn-out hardware and lines. I know that everybody doesn't agree, but the fact is they do work great when set up correctly. Like I have said before, replace with quality robust bungees, use a "quality" pull down line, and change out the cleats to aluminum. It all works good.

--
Philip
--
klozhald
hc16runnerDecided to resurrect this thread instead starting new one so we can get to the topic quicker I hope, with out repeating basics.

Might get better and faster results with a new thread that has N5.0 and rudders in the title. People who have seen this thread before may ignore it because it's old and considered answered.

Disagree. There is helpful information here.
If people ignore it, that's their choice. It further pollutes the sight to have multiple threads that covers a lot of the same issues.

--
Philip
--
mummp
Did you read my post earlier in this thread? Flying in the wind? Really? If you want to store the rudders in the sand when stored, simply pull the pull down line and lock it in. I always did this when beached over night. Actually dug the sand a little to let the rudders sit in. Works flawlessly.

Philip, apparently I was blinded by the beautiful view of those cats and missed the second part of your answer. icon_confused I was trying to avoid keeping the tension on the rudder line when not in use. Now, on the second thought the cost of the line is nothing compared to possible rudders or gadgeons damage from the surf when landing on the beach. That makes sense now. icon_eek

QuoteIf you are concerned about hitting something and maintaining the ability to steer, go to the two line system. One line for lock down and one line for hold up.

I installed PIV-matics and 2 line system on my SolCat18 2 years ago and yesterday I ordered 2 extra cleats to install on this N5.0. The system is not perfect but works.

What do you use to prevent tiller bars digging into back side of rudders in up position?

--
Adam Bartos
Nacra 5.0
SolCat 18 (sold)
Lake Zurich, IL
--
mummp
klozhald

Disagree. There is helpful information here.
If people ignore it, that's their choice. It further pollutes the sight to have multiple threads that covers a lot of the same issues.

+1 Philip
I wanted to keep all related information together so they will be easier and quicker found instead going thru multiple threads.

--
Adam Bartos
Nacra 5.0
SolCat 18 (sold)
Lake Zurich, IL
--
i've actually been looking to get new bungie for my boat. What length did you need per side? i've got a nacra 5.7 i measured the cord but forgot the measurement, if i recall correctly it was 5 feet per side.

--
Nacra 5.7
Falcon Lake Manitoba
Canada
--
I can change this thread title to make it easier to find in search.

What would be best?

Nacra Rudder System Repair

Nacra Rudder Kickup Bungee

Nacra Rudder System, Pivmatics

???

--
Damon Linkous
1992 Hobie 18
Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
--
Nacra Rudders, Pivmatics and bungee setup.

--
Adam Bartos
Nacra 5.0
SolCat 18 (sold)
Lake Zurich, IL
--
windadictWhat do you use to prevent tiller bars digging into back side of rudders in up position?

A short piece of braided vinyl tubing slipped over the bungee before feeding through the tiller arms. You could use a short scrap piece of garden hose. Let me add that I hog ring the bungee together at a point very close to the rudders.

--
Philip
--
mummp
windadictWhat do you use to prevent tiller bars digging into back side of rudders in up position?

A short piece of braided vinyl tubing slipped over the bungee before feeding through the tiller arms. You could use a short scrap piece of garden hose. Let me add that I hog ring the bungee together at a point very close to the rudders.

Was the extra hog ring just to keep things neat oor does it have a practical purpose? Also I like the spring your rudders appear to have how much 5/16" shock cord did you use per side?
Thanks!

--
Nacra 5.7
Falcon Lake Manitoba
Canada
--
mummp

You should take detailed pics of your set up and post in the technical album if you can. The one in the album explains it okay but the picture doesn't show much.

--
Zach
Yorktown, VA
1984 Nacra 5.7
--
mryellai've actually been looking to get new bungie for my boat. What length did you need per side? i've got a nacra 5.7 i measured the cord but forgot the measurement, if i recall correctly it was 5 feet per side.

That sounds about right. Proper bungie cord is not that expensive. Better to overestimate than under. I fed through the tubes without pvc or vinyl tubing, although I can see how that would make it easier. I'm just lazy. Agree on hog rings for securing the bungies. Once I got the bungies out the tube, with the rudder up, I stretched the bungie pretty tight and double hog-ringed as close to the tube as possible. Then cut the excess and allowed the end to retract into the end of the tube, a neater look.

--
Eric C

Force 5 project boat
Unnamed

Previous boat
1980 Nacra 5.2
"Double Vision"
--
mryellai've actually been looking to get new bungie for my boat. What length did you need per side? i've got a nacra 5.7 i measured the cord but forgot the measurement, if i recall correctly it was 5 feet per side.

On my Nacra 5.0 I measured that I need min 4.5ft to get them up, so get minimum 5ft. I am also going to use 3/8 diameter bungee instead 5/16. It fits well into tiller bar but need to get thinner wall plastic tubing to protect from scraping against tiller tubing.

--
Adam Bartos
Nacra 5.0
SolCat 18 (sold)
Lake Zurich, IL
--
mummp

That is great idea, I will do that.

One other place of concern that I noticed on the rudders, is the outside edge, right below the bungee, which dig into the bottom edge of tiller arm when they are pulled all way up. Do you have anything to protect them?

--
Adam Bartos
Nacra 5.0
SolCat 18 (sold)
Lake Zurich, IL
--
windadict
mummp

That is great idea, I will do that.

One other place of concern that I noticed on the rudders, is the outside edge, right below the bungee, which dig into the bottom edge of tiller arm when they are pulled all way up. Do you have anything to protect them?

Let me clear up a few thing. The only purpose of the short piece of vinyl tubing is to protect the trailing edge of the rudder from hitting into the tiller arm when raises up. I kept a lot of tension on the bungee because I wanted the rudders to come all the way up and stop against the tiller arm end, hence the protective tubing.

hyperope
That sounds about right. Proper bungie cord is not that expensive. Better to overestimate than under. I fed through the tubes without pvc or vinyl tubing, although I can see how that would make it easier. I'm just lazy. Agree on hog rings for securing the bungies. Once I got the bungies out the tube, with the rudder up, I stretched the bungie pretty tight and double hog-ringed as close to the tube as possible. Then cut the excess and allowed the end to retract into the end of the tube, a neater look.

Eric, the info above should clear up the tubing. As for the hog rings, you need to put a hog ring on the bungees as close as possible, under tension, to the rudder blade, in the aft most position, when the blade in in the down position. When you do this it prevents the bungee from falling to the sides of the rudder blade. I think you are talking about hog rings where the bungee comes out the "front" of the tubes, near the cross bar, and that works fine. As I said earlier, I overhand knot the bungee on the front end, pull it tight, let the knot work itself down to the pin or bolt than attaches the crossbar hardware, and finish with a square knot. This just eliminates the hog ring. If you look at the picture enlarged you can see the bungee stuffed into the end.

I'll look to see if I have some more pictures for Zach. Zach, if you click on the pictures they are pretty large and show a lot of detail.

--
Philip
--
QuoteOne other place of concern that I noticed on the rudders, is the outside edge, right below the bungee, which dig into the bottom edge of tiller arm when they are pulled all way up. Do you have anything to protect them?

Let me clear up a few thing. The only purpose of the short piece of vinyl tubing is to protect the trailing edge of the rudder from hitting into the tiller arm when raises up. I kept a lot of tension on the bungee because I wanted the rudders to come all the way up and stop against the tiller arm end, hence the protective tubing.

Philip, sorry if I confused you but that's not what I asked for, I understand the purpose and location of the plastic tubing, what I am asking is how to prevent the edge of tiller's aluminum arm digging into the back edge of the rudder, below the bungee. Perhaps you have not encounter this problem yet but on my rudders I have 1/4" notches cut by the tiller arms when rudders were all the way up. I am courious if anybody had the same problem and how did they solved that.

--
Adam Bartos
Nacra 5.0
SolCat 18 (sold)
Lake Zurich, IL
--
windadict
QuoteThe only purpose of the short piece of vinyl tubing is to protect the trailing edge of the rudder from hitting into the tiller arm when raises up.

what I am asking is how to prevent the edge of tiller's aluminum arm digging into the back edge of the rudder, below the bungee.

HELLOOOOO!! icon_eek

Read it again slowly. It acts as the protection (bushing, bumper, pad, buffer, cushion, what ever you want to call it) separating the rudder and edge of the tiller arm from ever hitting.

--
Philip
--
Adam, I use about a 1" piece of clear tubing,(a piece of garden hose will work), that is what Nacra gives you with a new boat.
Picture your rudder in the "up" position. See where it bangs against the tiller bar? Put the piece of tubing around the bungee right there. You have to think of this when you rig the rudders, as it has to be slid down the bungee,(as far down as it will go, right against the rudder blade) before you run the bungee up inside the tiller arm & tension it.
Before I put that short piece on I also slid about 12" of that woven tubing you use to prevent chafe on lines over the bungee, placed so it covers the bungee from the hole in the rudder up to the tiller arm. Previously the bungees would wear against the sides of the rudder blade, & the bungee barely lasted a year. It also helped to use a dremel or reamer & radius the edges at the end of the tiller arm. The tube is cut "square" & that edge was a major source of wear.
If you have a 1/4" gouge into your rudder blades, you may well be through the glass & into the core. One of my blades had a good gouge, & had split the outer sheath. Drill/dremel it out a bit if you need to, then stuff the cavity with some epoxy mixed with chopped matt strands. I also added some microfibres to the mix.
I'd mail you some in an envelope, but I think fine white powder being mailed might attract attention!

--
Hobie 18 Magnum
Dart 15
Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.0
Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
--
UFB!!! I hang by head in shame and frustration . . .

Has anybody actually READ this thread from the beginning?? wallbash

I'm curious Ed, are you providing a summary of everything I have said in this thread, or are you making an attempt to enlighten the literacy challenged? icon_confused I go back and read this whole thing and I don't know if I want to laugh or cry. Do I need to make a tutorial video??

mryella, you asked earlier . . . "Was the extra hog ring just to keep things neat or does it have a practical purpose?" It does have a purpose, it keeps the bungee in place (nearest the bungee hole on the trailing edge of the rudder) over the radius of the rudder, when in the down position, facilitating an efficient raising of the rudder (from a leverage perspective) and as previously mentioned, keeps the bungee from falling to the sides of the rudder when in the down position. If you folks are not doing this then it won't work worth a crap.

Zach, you're right! I've got a rudder here. I'm going to take some picture of it shortly and illustrate . . . .

--
Philip
--
QuoteUFB!!!

lol, that should probably be your sig. ;)

--
Rob
OKC
Pile of Nacra parts..
--
mummpUFB!!! I hang by head in shame and frustration . . .

Has anybody actually READ this thread from the beginning?? wallbash

I'm curious Ed, are you providing a summary of everything I have said in this thread, or are you making an attempt to enlighten the literacy challenged? icon_confused I go back and read this whole thing and I don't know if I want to laugh or cry. Do I need to make a tutorial video??

mryella, you asked earlier . . . "Was the extra hog ring just to keep things neat or does it have a practical purpose?" It does have a purpose, it keeps the bungee in place (nearest the bungee hole on the trailing edge of the rudder) over the radius of the rudder, when in the down position, facilitating an efficient raising of the rudder (from a leverage perspective) and as previously mentioned, keeps the bungee from falling to the sides of the rudder when in the down position. If you folks are not doing this then it won't work worth a crap.

Zach, you're right! I've got a rudder here. I'm going to take some picture of it shortly and illustrate . . . .

Makes perfect sense thanks man.

--
Nacra 5.7
Falcon Lake Manitoba
Canada
--
QuoteHas anybody actually READ this thread from the beginning??

YES
QuoteI'm curious Ed, are you providing a summary of everything I have said in this thread, or are you making an attempt to enlighten the literacy challenged?

Yes, & Yes.
I don't personally now the people on this forum. They might be ESL,(I know for a fact some are), they might be dyslexic, or perhaps they simply don't read/comprehend as well as others. My neighbour owns a tool & die making business. He has a CNC operator that if handed a detailed description, would butcher it. Show him a part, or give him a block of titanium & a micrometer & a copy of SolidWorks(CAD) & he can build anything.
I reiterated what you wrote, because through experience I have found that sometimes quite smart people don't understand what appear to be good directions. They ALWAYS make sense to the author, because, after all he wrote them! Often, the same information, in a slightly different wording, makes all the difference.
In my business 15 morgues are not big enough to handle the results of mistaken comprehensions, therefore we find multiple ways to convey the same information. In an earlier life, it was not good when your buddy shot YOU out of the sky due to a simple mistake, & it happened more often than the Brass would ever admit. One "comma" can make a sentence read entirely different to two separate minds, hence the plethora of lawyers.
Some folk read well, others understand what they hear, & many only what they see.
So, yeah, make a video, that will help out that weird tribe I ran across decades ago in Micronesia, & the Italians.

--
Hobie 18 Magnum
Dart 15
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.0
--
Man this thread really blew up. Mummp no need to post pics. Found a how to by searching on google with good pics. http://www.rclandsailing.com/licsa/LICSA98rudderuphaulproject.htm

Sorry for the short response, on my phone right now.

--
Zach
Yorktown, VA
1984 Nacra 5.7
--
That's what I thought Ed. Glad to know that I'm not the only one.

I've decided to nip this in the bud. The original Nacra rudders subject has been beat to death for years, even on the old website, and the old mail list from past years. I'm working on a detailed technical folder, that I will share the link to when it's ready. The intent will be to direct folks to it to get as much detailed information as they need.

In the mean time, someone else will need to champion the cause for the dreaded and redundant "I'm new to beachcats, which boat should I get?" ad nauseam threads.

--
Philip
--
Edchris177
QuoteHas anybody actually READ this thread from the beginning??

YES
QuoteI'm curious Ed, are you providing a summary of everything I have said in this thread, or are you making an attempt to enlighten the literacy challenged?

Yes, & Yes.
I don't personally now the people on this forum. They might be ESL,(I know for a fact some are), they might be dyslexic, or perhaps they simply don't read/comprehend as well as others.

...or somebody like me after car accident recovering from severe concussion and whom despite engineering education is still difficult to read and comprehend someone’s thoughts.
I thought that one of the main purposes for this forum is to learn, so I only ask for little patience for others.

--
Adam Bartos
Nacra 5.0
SolCat 18 (sold)
Lake Zurich, IL
--
+1

Edited by scotts1w on May 13, 2013 - 06:23 PM.

--
Mooched Beachcats in the past
Time to try ownership with Nacra 5.7
Port Clinton, Lake Erie Islands, Ohio
--
In case anyone misconstrues my post, the flavour was/is that it is perfectly OK to ask the same question a hundred times.
Anyone who does any teaching sees the same questions asked year after year. If I had a $ for every skier I see leading the turns with the upper body, I'd be retired.
In the second quote above, I should not have included the 2nd "yes".

--
Hobie 18 Magnum
Dart 15
Nacra 5.7
Nacra 5.0
--
Also included, should have been the use of spell check, know, not now, in the sentence "I don't personally now the people on this forum"quote=Edchris177]In case anyone misconstrues my post, the flavour was/is that it is perfectly OK to ask the same question a hundred times.
Anyone who does any teaching sees the same questions asked year after year. If I had a $ for every skier I see leading the turns with the upper body, I'd be retired.
In the second quote above, I should not have included the 2nd "yes".[/quote]
I just replaced the bungees on my 5.7. One departure that I noted on my boat, not my idea but I stayed with it, was to use a 1" hose clamp instead of the hog rings on the upper ends of the bungees. It still allows you to tuck the clamp/bungees into the rudder arm, and will allow some easy adjustment to compensate for stretching down the road.

--
Tim
81 Hobie 16
87 Nacra 5.7
Austin, TX
--
I have been away from the site for a while but I pitched the bungee/rope BS and put on a set of Inter Rudders on my 5.5 and it is the single best mod I have made to the boat. JMHO. Got most of the stuff used and had to buy one arm and one casting all in about $700 if I remember correctly. Worth it in my opinion. RIchard.

--
Lake Perry KS
H-18
N-5.5 UNI +spin
--