Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Boston Whaler catamaran  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• I just found one of these while biking near my beach house. Looked to be about 18-19 feet with large volume hulls. I'll try to remember to take a camera the next time I'm out. Judging by the colors, I am guessing late 80's or maybe early 90's manufacture.

Anyone know anything about them?
  • there is some in the classifies
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…er-supercat-20-sc20.html
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…/p11512-supercat-17.html

--
    Angelo
    1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
    2008 laser 4.7/radial #190471
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • I asked this question when I first got on here too here is the response that I got from MN3:

"same cat as the supercat 17 now made by aqurius-sails - http://www.aquarius-sail.com/

great cat.
    VERY VERY WET (lots of splash, and spray)
    great for 1 or 2 people
    can be a bit tippy when sailed very hard (capsize)
    has shroud extenders to help right the boat after a capsize (again a bit tippy if driven hard) "

I'm on a H16 right now but wouldn't rule one of these out if the price was right.

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --
  • Well if it is a Boston Whaler it is a Supercat !! Great boat !!! I have a SC19 and a SC15. Would not go anywhere else but these !!! If it has the Boston Whaler decal on it.... It is an early 80's boat. If the price is right don't pass this by. Get some pictures posted up here for us to see her.
  • SuperCats were rockets. Are they for sale or did you just happen on them?

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I have the Supercat 20. If it is 12' wide, it is the Supercat 20'. If it is on the trailer, you should see the telescoping beams.

Any boat can be tippy if you push it, the boat is extremely buoyant. If it is the standard (33' mast), it is actually a little harder to capsize than other boats because of the beam width. If it is the "Tall Rig" (38 1/2' mast), it is easier to capsize than other boats. The extra sail area up top makes a big difference. The Supercat 20 is also harder to tack than most boats because of the wide beam. If you do everything correct and learn how to backwind the jib and reverse the rudders, it is a piece of cake even in challenging situations.

--
    Craig Van Eaton
    West Palm Beach
    Supercat 20
    www.teamcyberspeed.com
    www.sailseries.com
    --
  • QuoteAny boat can be tippy if you push it, the boat is extremely buoyant. If it is the standard (33' mast), it is actually a little harder to capsize than other boats because of the beam width. If it is the "Tall Rig" (38 1/2' mast), it is easier to capsize than other boats. The extra sail area up top makes a big difference.

How do you step 38.5 feet of mast? I don't even want to think about having to right it...

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I am using the 33' mast right now. I broke the 38 1/2' mast doing the Round the Island race in Pensacola quite a few years back. I use a "Gin Pole" with a set of old Prindle 16 blocks which makes it fairly easy for both the short rig and the tall rig.

As stated earlier, it has extendible shrouds which makes righting it easier. You have a few more steps but it works.

--
    Craig Van Eaton
    West Palm Beach
    Supercat 20
    www.teamcyberspeed.com
    www.sailseries.com
    --
  • Craig,
    You got that boat from me, right? That Tall rig mast was a monster, for sure. I had a low tech solution to a high tech problem--that gin pole was the bomb. I'm working on one for my SC15 for next year. I can lift that mast, but the extrusion is so friggin heavy, it is hard to step it.

I'm working with a guy that is selling off years of collecting boat parts as well as buying out dealerships. He just picked up a 20 Tall rig mast, new still in the packaging. It has the three spreaders, but you could convert it to the single one with your broken mast parts.
  • cyberspeedI broke the 38 1/2' mast doing the Round the Island race in Pensacola quite a few years back.

I remember it well, right there at the East Pass. We were in the vicinity when I saw you go over. I was thinking that the inbound tide combined with the breeze wasn't going to look good for you, not to mention the shallow water. That was ugly.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Yeah, current tangled the spin and pulled us turtle. The hardest thing I had to do with the 12' wide boat was try to right the boat without a mast. Took about 10 people.

--
    Craig Van Eaton
    West Palm Beach
    Supercat 20
    www.teamcyberspeed.com
    www.sailseries.com
    --
  • Hey Philip,

Were you on one of the powerboats in the vicinity? It would have been great to have received help from a fellow sailor. We got help from other power boaters, I kinda felt like we got abandoned. I know there were a few boats from the sail club but none stayed to help.

--
    Craig Van Eaton
    West Palm Beach
    Supercat 20
    www.teamcyberspeed.com
    www.sailseries.com
    --
  • I have access to a SC 20 tall rig with probably 5 sailing trips on it. It has Smyth sails including spinnaker and a self tacking jib. Its an awesome boat and is for sale right now, and the price is right.

My own SC20 was a standard rig and tacked better than any boat(cat) I have ever owned, it would almost throw you off the boat if you jammed the rudders over it tacked so quick. Ive owned a N20, F18, N5.2, GCat 21, Gcat 5.0, H16, Wave, and by far this was the fastest, wettest, best sailing boat I have owned. I just did not like raising the mast or traveling with it, and at the time I owned it I was traveling twice a month to race.

Let me know if anyone is interested in the Tall rig boat, it does have some glass work to be done, but its a heck of a deal.

d
  • I'll bite--how much and where is it?
  • No, I was racing in the non spin fleet (5.8NA). We were the first non spin boat to go under the bridge so I was there to see what was unfolding. I was worried about you drifting into the bridge. If I remember correctly I don't think that you had turtled yet. Anyhow, the East Pass is a very busy place to be on a Saturday morning at 7:30 am. A lot of the fishing charters are going out and the boat traffic at the confluence of the harbor and pass is congested (I also remember a bunch of the fishing charters catching their bait at the MOA marker which we had to honor). Not much I could have done on the cat in such a strong current. I do remember hearing some VHF talk on the handheld to offer assistance. I'm surprised the club didn't help. I know there were a couple of boats from the club taking pictures. Sadly, I have seen similar unrelated situations . . .

You could not have picked a worst place on the planet to get in trouble on a cat. I lost a rig at the mouth of the pass a couple years earlier on a cold January day with the winds 20+. When the current is full on it is a torturous and dangerous place to be. Through the years I have seen my share of many inexperience power boaters get swamped and sink the boat.

How in the hell did you get your turtled boat back under the bridge?

--
    Philip
    --
  • I will bite too where and how much. I would join the OSYC and just leave it up.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • The SC 20 is in S Carolina, $5000 with trailer, sails, self tacker, almost brand new tall rig, New Smyth sails, Sq Top Main, Jib, and Spin, new rigging, fairly new tramp, all barley sailed, thi is a complete set--up. Hulls are red with a little oxidation, One hull has a small 1/4 hole from a rock thrown from a lawn mower, and one hull has a sloppy bridle attachment point. I havent started the repair so that is why the price is so low, but I can fix both issues semi-professionally but the price will be more. The sails and rig cost as much as I am asking. This boat needs to be sold quick, so any reasonable offer will e entertained. Damon, I havent bought an advert yet, but I do have 2 paid advertisements here and will soon get a 3rd when I can get pix.
  • In case anyone's interested, I'm selling my SC15 in Houston, TX. It was a great boat about 20 years, 3 kids, and 100+ pounds ago! Needs a tramp, new lines, and some minor trailer (Skipper B) work/maintenance. The sails are questionable but the hulls should be in good shape. Harken blocks. The transoms were replaced/reinforced back when we were sailing it weekly. Not looking to get a lot ($1000?) but hoping to find it a good home. Email me at my first name at my last name dot com.

Thanks,
    Mike Moulckers
  • moulckersIn case anyone's interested, I'm selling my SC15 in Houston, TX.

Mike,

Link to your classified ad? If you didn't realize it you can post one for free here.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Interesting thread.

However, not all BOston Whalers are Supercats.

I have a Super cat 17 and a unirigged Boston Whaler 474.

Both are great boats, but I don[t believe they were not originally manufactured by Tom Haberman and the the same company (now Aquarius Sails).

When I needed a replacment main for the Boston Whaler 474, Haberman had a Supercat 15 sail that fit...to a degree.

Though both the Suopercat 15 and the Boston Whaler 474 are about 15 footers, the 474 original sail is more of a deck sweeper than is the Supeprcat 15 main, when carried on the 474 mast.

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.