Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

NACRA 5.2  Bottom

• I recently bought a NACRA 5.2. This is my first catamaran. I have a question on the mast there is no spot to put a pin to hold it on the ball. Should there be?

Also I am having trouble with rigging the mast does anyone have a link for instructions. I am a little confused on the trapeze wires.

Please help.
  • The pin is used for raising and lowering the mast once up or down remove pin if you do not have pin or hole for pin you have a older mast base check out murrays as far as trap wires go look at pics of other cats
  • If you have one trap wire the bungee connecting them runs through the front beam. You probably have a non captive base. I have one and it is not that big an issue. There are plenty of pictures of 5. 2 in the photo album. Between wolfman and erice they will have a picture of what you want to know.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • there is a period nacra manual somewhere in the tech files

the 5.2 was made from 1975 through to about 1985

the early models only had 1 set of trap wires, swagged at the top to the sidestays and only 1 mast hound. the 1 set was for the crew and as golfie says the bungee sucking the 2 wires together at hull level went through the front beam

about 1980? trapping the helm also became popular so a 2nd set of rear trap wires was added. this bungee went through a couple of too small 5mm? eyelets? on the outer hull just aft? of the dagger, then across the hull and down a grommet in the tramp. under the tramp and up the other side through a grommet etc.

with 3 stays and 4 trap wires the mast hound was over-crowded so about 1983? nacra put a 2nd mast hound up there.
  • Look around in the tech help threads. There are many posts regarding the 5.2 mast step. Sounds like you have the old design. You DEFINITELY need the new one.

--
    Eric C

Force 5 project boat
    Unnamed

Previous boat
    1980 Nacra 5.2
    "Double Vision"
    --
  • I agree the captive mast base would help, but I wouldn't stay home because of it.

Edited by golfdad75 on Oct 05, 2011 - 01:08 PM.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • I agree with Golfdad here. As long as the old ball and castings are in good shape it isn't absolutely necessary. One caveat though, when stepping the mast you will want a someone holding the mast step on the ball so it won't pop off. This person should be positioned to the side of the mast so they don't get skewered if the mast pops off (common sense I know). Some people have also gotten away with tying the mast down to the front beam to hold it in place. Once the old one breaks or the ball wears out you will need to upgrade.

Dave.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I just got 2 new mast balls in the old size.. .. Will dig up the link when I have a sec.. Seems to me that the tention of some one helping to step the mast with pressure on the forestay holds the cup on the ball quite well. I am doing a steping assist system which will hold pressure on that ball during the process after the mast is 20 degrees up..

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • I have never had a problem raising the mast but coming down if you relax the mast will slip out. Obviously when you are raising the pressure will keep it on. I do like to tie it coming down(bungee)

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • I plan on using the lifting aid to lower it as well for that reson.. Keeps tention on the mast base..

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • I think the most dangerous/difficult part of rigging your before sailing is raising the mast. I think updating to the captive mast system is worth every penny... a lot cheaper than hurting your boat, yourself, or your friend helping you raise the mast. It is not difficult to do either. You just need a drill, a hand rivet gun and some silicone.
  • QuoteI think the most dangerous/difficult part of rigging your before sailing is raising the mast.

My wife would strongly disagree. The most difficult part is putting the ring through the pin on the forestay. I personally think it is coaching your wife to put the pin in while you hold the mast. icon_lol

Edited by golfdad75 on Oct 06, 2011 - 10:07 AM.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.