Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Asking centerboard well repair advice P18-2  Bottom

• Prindle 18-2 starboard centerboard well has damage about 6" up from the bottom. Lets in gallons of water over the first hour of sailing. Looks like a rock was lodged against the centerboard and broke through while bringing the board up or down. The gash looks to be about 1.5"across and is close to the forward end of the well. Can barely get my fingertips to the area. Anyone have any experience fixing something like this? inside wall feels thin- probably a single layer of fibreglas and gelcoat.
  • Take the centerboard out. Tip boat on side so that crack is facing up. West epoxy mixed with 404 adhesive (obtain from West Marine--be sure to get pumps) to loose mashed potato consistency. Use tongue depresser or top batten from your sail & carefully smear the paste over crack (using flashlight). Wipe off batten. Tip boat back next day. Pete
  • Good idea- thanks Pete!
    If I can get the West epoxy (never used it before) to set up in 5 minutes or so, and then trim it flatter before it hardens this will be the perfect answer. I appreciate you sharing your expertise, Pete.
    Bob
  • No, It will not set up in 5 minutes. Trim it flat & leave it. It will take 45-60 minutes to harden, 14 hours to thoroughly cure. Pete
  • Pete, you so rock!
    I followed your suggestions with one little change- I used Marine Tex. The fix looks good. I was able to mix a small amount and use a tongue depressor to get it smooth. I may not even have to sand the area after it hardens. The clearance between the well wall and the centerboard is just a little over 1\8" with the board up, so I needed something strong that would not run. The cat is still tied up on its side to my fence while the final curing takes place. After I got the cat on its side I could see that all the fibreglas was still there, it was a "y" shaped puncture and uneven. Since Marine Tex doesn't flow at all (I have the Arizona heat working for me here...) it seemed the best choice. Again, thanks for your time and advice! I really appreciate it.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Pictures would have been nice. To see before and after.

--
    NACRA 18 SQ uared

Okanagan, BC, Can
    --
  • nl_expatriate,
    I tried to get good pictures but the centerboard well is narrow (about 15mm wide at the damage area) and lined with white gelcoat. The damage was at the bottom and only visible from the top, so photos showed only a long bright white reflection that would not allow focus on the damage at the far end, about 55 cm away. Sorry! I would have liked having pictures of it too.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.