Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Demasting  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3:

• p-16 = best first catamaran...wise move!!! congrads!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Yeah it's going to be a fun rebuild, but since you already took my fav Milwaukee thing, I'm going w/ my next fave Milwaukee export and naming her "Miller Time" which is also my last name

--
    Bob Miller
    1983 P16 Sail # 7312
    "Miller Time" A work in progress; out of the water for 16 years
    Barnegat Bay NJ
    Beach Cat Lesson #1 - A free cat isn't
    Find more Prindles on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/173120656090532/
    --
  • QuoteFour splices?

one splice each end of trap line and one splice each end of adjusting line (attached to trap line)
  • QuoteGlad you were prepared with the phone and got home safe. I once saw a beachcat get home after a demasting by jury-rigging a mast from the boom and lines, kind of a crab-claw setup.

Today got dismasted about 2 miles offshore in the Gulf. My crew got really nervous and I wasn't real happy. 16-18 kt winds and we got caught in a sudden and brief squall and the shroud snapped. Well I thanks to all of the great posts I have read, we had cell phone, vhf, whistles, and some extra line. We made a jury rig like Damon is mentioning and 2 hours later limped ashore. We saw two boats but who knows what they were thinking.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • you get a gold star for sailing her in and not hitting the "OH S#@T!!" button, damn proud of you captain! there are times to hit the button for sure but if you can sail her in, even better.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • QuoteWell I thanks to all of the great posts I have read, we had cell phone, vhf, whistles, and some extra line. We made a jury rig like Damon is mentioning and 2 hours later limped ashore.

Strong work!

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • You never mentioned why you were demasted, shroud failure, anchor bar, missing ring?
    golfdad75
    QuoteGlad you were prepared with the phone and got home safe. I once saw a beachcat get home after a demasting by jury-rigging a mast from the boom and lines, kind of a crab-claw setup.

Today got dismasted about 2 miles offshore in the Gulf. My crew got really nervous and I wasn't real happy. 16-18 kt winds and we got caught in a sudden and brief squall and the shroud snapped. Well I thanks to all of the great posts I have read, we had cell phone, vhf, whistles, and some extra line. We made a jury rig like Damon is mentioning and 2 hours later limped ashore. We saw two boats but who knows what they were thinking.
  • Shroud failure bought last spring. I have to admit we had winds and waves coming out of the south so the limp in wasn't difficult. The hard part was keeping the boom jammed against the front crossbeam. We tied three lines one a back stay and used it as a mast. It only fell about ten times.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • golfdad75:
    Good to hear you are back safe. Nice work.
    How is your crew?

--
    Mooched Beachcats in the past
    Time to try ownership with Nacra 5.7
    Port Clinton, Lake Erie Islands, Ohio
    --
  • golfdad75

Great job in bad situation. Glad you kept your head and were so well prepared. Good seamanship in the self-rescue, congrats.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • My crew probably retired from catamaran sailing. Sore but ok

Edited by golfdad75 on Aug 11, 2012 - 03:48 PM.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • You know that little wire tie that keeps that large shackle on the H16 mast tang from working loose icon_eek ....well next time out I will be sure to install it.... icon_rolleyes

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • Unfortunately that seems to be a common reaction to potential disaster. I haven't gotten my wife back on the boat since a really bad incident a couple of years ago. I ignored a few things I shouldn't have and ended up in a bad situation.

Bill, wow, I'm sure there's a story there! Good advice that I will take when I reassemble my 5.7 next weekend. I have a roll of 18 ga titanium wire I may use for that purpose, and make some ring dings from also.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.