Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Demasting  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• QuoteTo the OP, off topic but why is your tramp so loose?

It's not. It may look like it is sagging but that's just because the cross bars are so high above the trampoline sleeve on the hull.

Quotei nominate this one for "best demasting photograph"

I tried to find a picture of what a demasted Hobie looks like with the sail still up and all, to show my land dwelling friends, but my search came up empty.

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • I know this sucked for the OP, but I'm so glad to see threads like this. The first time I took my H16 out, I had a diving knife strapped to my life jacket. When I had my mono hull, I always carried the smae knife and I always found it handy. I'm a boy scout and there was just something I didn't like about being around so much water AND rope.

My buddy, who is new to sailing says saw me and said, "You look like something out of deliverance".

Well, about an hour into our sail, I got hung up in the trap adjustment line with a storm front pushing us hard. I tried to untangle, but it was useless. I grabbed my knife and sliced the rope. Done.

If it weren't for post like this, I might have forgotten to put that knife on. So, thanks for posting this. Now off to order a couple of bolts :)

Oh, and by the way, my buddy just ordered a knife for his life jacket!
  • That anchor pin on the H18 is a "known" weak point. Take a look a the below links. There is an old and a new design for the pins.

http://www.hobiecat.com/c…hp?f=13&t=14013&start=30

http://www.hobiecat.com/c…&hilit=anchor+pin#p72811

Here is the summary to be able to tell them apart.

Old pins: The threads are groves cut into the diameter of the pin, so peaks of the threads are equal to the pin diameter. You can also see where the thread cutting tool leaves a nick at the top end.

New "rolled thread" pins: The threads are pressed into the pin. The tool presses in and the thread peaks squeeze out. The thread peaks are higher than the pin diameter. The pin diameter also is smaller that the old pins.

Probably worth replacing them when you replace your standing rigging, since well it is part of your standing rigging.....

I keep a VHF radio on a lanyard in a packet on my lifejacket, along with whistle and knife. I use a kayak jacket that has several front pockets.

Glad to hear you cell phone worked in this case. I usually put my cellphone in a waterproof back down in one of the hull ports. I figure it doesn't hurt to have it on the boat, but I count on the VHF for safety.

I never carried safety gear until I started sailing on Lake Michigan, I didn't feel threatened on small lakes. But now I would still carry most of the gear even on small lakes. Except maybe the VHF since there might no be anyone on the other end if the lake is small enough.

Edited by smfinley on Sep 21, 2011 - 12:09 PM.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • So, to have it all in one place, what safety equipment would you folks recommend be on board or on your person when out on a catamaran? What I've read so far includes:

On your Person:
    PFD
    Light/Beacon
    Knife
    Scuba Sausage
    VHF Radio
    Signal Mirror
    Whistle

On Board:
    Righting Bag
    Righting Line
    Spare Parts Bag
    Food/Water

Anything else?

Edited by motivated on Sep 21, 2011 - 01:30 PM.

--
    Karl, Captain of Stayin' Thirsty
    2011 Hobie 16SE
    Atlanta, GA
    --
  • The full list of "recommended" items as listed in the Federal Requirements for Recreational Boaters..includes the following plus a few items I've deleted that don't apply (unless you feel you need fuel tanks!!??). I note a GPS is not included...? Along those lines, my Garmin 76 line promises to be waterproof and it floats. Although, I've never tried it.

VHF Radio
    Visual Distress Signals
    Heaving Line
    Fenders
    First Aid Kit
    Flashlight
    Mirror
    Searchlight
    Sunburn Lotion
    Tool Kit Ring Buoy Whistle or Horn
    Anchor
    Chart and Compass
    Mooring Line
    Food & Water
    Binoculars
    Spare Batteries
    Sunglasses
    Extra Clothing
    Spare Parts
    Alternate Propulsion (Paddles)

there may be other items but this was available so I thought it would be worth sharing.

--
    Bert Scott
    Niceville, FL
    Nacra F18
    --
  • daniel_tericweller

One other thing to learn. Even if the boat is capsized, you can lower the mainsail. Once the main is lowered, the boat is much easier to right.

Some might argue that is it easier with he sail up. Primarily when pointed into the wind as the wind will help to lift the mast with the sail.

Plus then you have to raise it again while on the water which can be very tricky.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Any idea what year the new bolts came out vs the old. Is My new to me old H17 going to have th same issues?

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • QuarathAny idea what year the new bolts came out vs the old. Is My new to me old H17 going to have th same issues?

My standard answer would be to replace all the standing rigging when you get a "new to me" boat. Especially if it has seen salt water. That way you know how old they are. If the boat was cheap and you can't buy new rigging, I wouldn't sail the boat in conditions strong enough to fly a hull, even if the rigging looks good.

I don't know the H17 good enough, but if the shrouds mount in a similar fashion through the hull, then yes I bet it is the same part.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • smfinley
    QuarathAny idea what year the new bolts came out vs the old. Is My new to me old H17 going to have th same issues?

My standard answer would be to replace all the standing rigging when you get a "new to me" boat. Especially if it has seen salt water. That way you know how old they are. If the boat was cheap and you can't buy new rigging, I wouldn't sail the boat in conditions strong enough to fly a hull, even if the rigging looks good.

I don't know the H17 good enough, but if the shrouds mount in a similar fashion through the hull, then yes I bet it is the same part.

I inspected stays and traps lines pretty well and am pretty confident they are in good shape but I didn't consider the eybolts they were connecting to at the time. I plan to pull em all and look at at least now but it would be nice to know when they started using the new ones. My H17 is an 86.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • I bought and old beat H16 at a charity auction for my fiance. I figured it would be a good boat to let her skipper on and in the worse case scenario that it sinks, I am only out $200. We found quickly how important it is to have fresh rigging. She capsized it on the first trip out. When she was righting it, a shroud snapped and luckily she caught the attention of some power boaters and found someone who was happy to help pull her to the dock.

Lesson learned, I bought fresher rigging the next day.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • QuoteI plan to pull em all and look at at least now but it would be nice to know when they started using the new ones. My H17 is an 86.

The reference I saw in the attached threads said they had been in use for "several years" from the 2009 post. So I would say sometime in the late 2000's, so not likely original equipment on any H18 or H17 you find. Matt Miller also said no need to replace the new ones every few years since the new ones are much better then the old ones.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • ericwellerNow if I could just learn to splice a line so that it doesn't fail!

Eric,
    I love the elegance of splicing and do a fair amount of it on my friend's monohulls.
    There is no place on most beach cat's trapeze systems that splicing is appropriate. The line is almost too small to splice effectively (as you have seen) and the thick tail that results hinders usability. A bowline and a stopper knot (half-grapevine or figure 8) are all you should need.
    Sheet In!

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • For the record, a optical disk (CD or DVD) makes a great signaling mirror and already has a sighting hole in the center. Did I mention that they are cheap? And durable?
    So now you have found a use for that Barry Manilow CD you have been too embarrased to throw out!
    Sheet In!

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • QuoteThere is no place on most beach cat's trapeze systems that splicing is appropriate.

I sail with a guy (catman) who has spliced returns on his trap system. they lasted at least 4 years until they died (well past the frey)

Also guys splice 1mm line for mini boats all the time...
  • QuoteThere is no place on most beach cat's trapeze systems that splicing is appropriate.

dyneema trapese lines are simple to make and much nicer to use ( check class rules for racing)with 4 splices on each line
  • There are splices all over my boat, and slicing trap lines is fairly common. Bob, I slice 7/64 all the time and it is stupid drunk easy.

--
    Philip
    --
  • The splice on the trapeze that gave way when we capsized was a 5mm dynema line that attached the trapeze ring to the shock cord. I found out that a 5mm line will need about 1000 lbs to set the splice. Since I don't weigh near that, the splice slid out of place. If I had used a 2mm line, I would have never had my problem.
  • splices should be whipped or have a few lock stiches in them to prevent them coming apart
  • Ooops!
    I spoke out of ignorance. I have no experience with the Dymeema lines. Mine are all Dacron, and the work I do for friends is as well. We have old boats and old lines. Even the wine we drink is old, and that part is good.
    mummpThere are splices all over my boat, and slicing trap lines is fairly common. Bob, I slice 7/64 all the time and it is stupid drunk easy.

How do you set your splices?

eragondyneema trapese lines are simple to make and much nicer to use ( check class rules for racing)with 4 splices on each line

Four splices?

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Back to the VHF comments for a moment.

I'm a pretty new sailor and had a new to me daysailer purchased from a reputable marina as ready to sail. I picked up the appropriate USCG stuff and was on my way w/ 3 friends. Fast forward 20 minutes and we capsized due to a small crack inside the hull but below the self bailer water level. It seems a flooded binge sloshing from one side to another was too much for 4 people to counter so over we went. I had the VHF (waterproof cobra - the sinking kind) and when we righted the boat I tried to call a family member for help and a tow since we were barley able to keep the gunwales above the water. It was a mess but I was able to right a 17 footer with a flooded bilge / cockpit and cuddy with only 3 people.

Point being... you really need to blow out the speaker / mic to remove the water or it won't work. It seems so obvious now but at the time in a panic it was lost on me. Good thing the iphone was in a waterproof box. Some VFH's have a tone that will shake water from the diaphragm. I also carry a riggin knife / whistle on a break away lanyard around my neck.

Between that and a dismasting at our mooring the Admiral says is has to go...So I got a P16 with her approval icon_biggrin

--
    Bob Miller
    1983 P16 Sail # 7312
    "Miller Time" A work in progress; out of the water for 16 years
    Barnegat Bay NJ
    Beach Cat Lesson #1 - A free cat isn't
    Find more Prindles on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/173120656090532/
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.