Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Tacking on SolCat 18  Bottom

• I bought my SolCat 18 almost 2 months ago and was on water few times already trying to get everything working the way I wanted to and learn from my crew mate (cat experienced) as much as possible. One thing we have noticed is that it is very difficult to tack. We tried to tack in 10, 16 and about 20 mph wind on different occasions and the easiest was at 10mph. We read few previous posts about it and implemented few tips and suggestions but that didn't help too much and what drives my buddy crazy is that he thinks that H16 was a lot easier to tack. So I am asking your opinion drawn from your experience, is SolCat 18 is more difficult to tack then Hobbie?

In addition, I couldn't find anywhere dagger boards position during tacking. Should they be lowered or raised?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Adam Bartos
    Wind addict

Edited by windadict on Sep 13, 2011 - 11:55 PM.

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • I have both a H16 and a Solcat 18 and I agree the Solcat 18 is a bit sluggish compared to the H16 in a tack. I think it may be because of the length of the hulls past the front beam compared to the H16 and maybe do to the fact the H16 does not have daggers boards. that being said I still like the solcat better on the long runs much more stable with less pearling of the hulls, less rocking back and forth and lots more room on the tramp.
    I think the more you sail the solcat and get the tacks dialed in the less of a difference you will see. I have no problem in good winds a little slow in light air due to the size.

Have fun with it

Where do you sail?

--
    Jeff O
    N5.0
    solcat 18(sold),
    N5.2,
    H16
    Camarillo CA
    --
  • in the stronger winds try releasing the traveller as you go into the tack

daggers should be all the way down and rudder should be held all the way through the turn
  • Slow easy rudder movements stay on the rear old windward side of the boat until the jib is fully backwinded. Keep crew in the middle until jib starts to backwind. This keep the old leeward bow up a bit and allows the boat to pivot on the back corner and the wind to push the bows around. If really close the crew can reach out and pull the clew of the jib farther out to try to catch more of the wind to pull it around. As soon as the jib is backwinded the crew can release the jib cleat but don't just let the jib pull to the other side and start flapping till you sheet it in. Instead control it all the way to keep pocket of air pushing against it all the time until you can sheet it in on the other side. It's not to hard once you get the hang of it.

That said I still have a pretty hard time tacking in heavy winds on on my Prindle 18.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • At times usually in light air I'll pull the boom out making sure the main is off the wind depowered.

--
    Lance
    P18
    Simi Valley
    --
  • couple of notes...start the tack when the boat is at full speed and the boat is heading to wind almost pinching, push the tiller over 2/3's nice and smooth, as above-wait til the jib is backwinded before you switch sides. ease the main sheet(or travelor) about 2' when the main starts luffing...just a few thoughs, give it a go!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • I am sure part of our problem is the speed. We are going pretty fast and stable but as soon as we start to turn it seems that we are loosing speed rapidly like hitting breaks. In addition 2 to 6 ft waves of Lake Michigan stop you dead in the instance. One other potential design flop that I need to eliminate is the position of rear hiking lines which are attached to the rear of the houls intead the middle like Hobbies have. That position prevents main from traveling little farter during the turn and that my also be another reason why we are loosing speed.
    Jeff, I also like my SolCat. I don't have too much experience on Hobbies or other cats but sure it turns heads of other sailors.

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • I have also found on a heavy air, huge wave day that outhaul & downhaul are very important. Due to the waves and poor layout, I couldn't get enough tension on either. I had a tough day on the water with slow tacks, and at one point being unable to tack. I went into the beach to fix a breakage, and tightened the main. It was like I was sailing a completely different boat. No problems at all tacking, and faster gybing. In lighter air, the more I can get the bow out of the water, the better.
  • Hey!
    Another Chicago Solcat sailor. whaddya know. I got a new mainsail this year, and that made more difference than any weight, outhaul, downhaul, traveller changes in the entire time I've owned the boat.

The old sail was seriously difficult to tack. I had a 50/50 chance of making it around, or ending up with the boat sailing backwards for a few seconds. With the new sail, I might not blow any tacks the whole session. Finally all the advice that people gave (which is remarkably similar to all the comments you've gotten) work.

But, I was sailing on the original 36 year (!) old sail. The new sail was actually made for a Windrider 18, but the dimensions are within inches. If your sail is original, or questionable, suck it up and buy a new one. Sailing is just more fun when the controls do what they're supposed to! The same goes for H16's. My buddy bought a new sail after feeling the difference mine made. Now his boat tacks too.

What beach do you sail off of? I keep my boat at Montrose.

Dan

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.