Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 18 vs 21?  Bottom

• how many people can you put on a 18, and can you put a net infront too? It seems there are a lot of 18s compared to 21s just was wondering the difference in size. I know they have a Getaway but i dont know if i like having no fiberglass? WIsh hobie would make more Cruisers/Racers?

Heck whats the difference once your past 15 knots of boat speed racing cruising, your already faster then every sailboat out there. Unless your looking at competion. icon_confused

--
    Reynolds 21 Catamaran #38
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • How many people are you looking to put on the boat? Are you looking to still have performance in the boat after you load it up with people? Don't forget when you add 400-800lbs of people to a 400lb boat the performance is greatly impaired. A H18 with 3 adults sits much lower in the water then with 1 adult. But if you have wings, you can seat 6 people on the wings (3 each side). You will feel like a barge going through the water, but it is a fun party barge if the wind is fairly low. A 21 either the SE or the SC, will hold the extra weight much better, but are much harder to find. Are there cat sailers in your area? Might try hitching a ride and see what you think.

An 18 feels much bigger if it has wings, if you are worried about space and people capacity, I wouldn't look at an 18 without them.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I couldnt imagine having 800lb on my 18, I went out the other day with about 650lb's of total crew weight and the boat was a submarine!

The wings add so much to the 18 as far as roominess. Before I had wings the boat felt cramped with just me, crew memebr and a cooler...
  • Very difficult to have your cake and eat it too. That said I wish I had a Hobie 21.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Stiletto 23
  • F-27 catamaran for cruising with people
    AC-45 for speed
    Mystere 5.5 for island hoping with bikini's onboard, and sailing faster than most other beachcats around
  • Trading my 18 with sx wings for a 21se this weekend,
    I cant sleep thinking about it.

--
    Rick Dougal
    H21SE
    H18SX
    Port Orange, Fl
    --
  • As you shouldn't. I would consider an SX quite a bit more valuable than a 21.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • i have owned an 18 with wings and a 21sc the 21sc is a dog compared to the 18h.
  • (Trading my 18 with sx wings for a 21se this weekend,
    I cant sleep thinking about it.)

Hey Nasamedic,

You will have a blast on your 21SE as I have had on mine since 1989.
    Let me know if you need anything. icon_cool

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • captainvici have owned an 18 with wings and a 21sc the 21sc is a dog compared to the 18h.

nasamedic mentioned he was trading for a 21se, not 21sc, they are quite different. The 21se has 10 foot beam and taller rig. The 21sc (Sports Cruiser) has extra weight in storage lockers and amenities, 8 foot beam, and basically a Hobie 18 rig. Strictly a family cruiser.

Not a "modern" design compared to the new spin boats but the 21se was created for a Pro Racing Circuit and were meant to be raced with a "deck launch" spin.

With modern material square-top and current type snuffer launched spin the 21se would be a real mile making machine. It's definitely heavy though.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • OK, so that trade didn't happen. I do have my cross hairs on another. will go to see it this week, i think its an SE model. Just encase that doesn't happen let me know if you hear of one, south east would be the best.
    But do I have the 21 bug.....O-ya

Rick Dougal
    H18sx
    Port Orange fl

--
    Rick Dougal
    H21SE
    H18SX
    Port Orange, Fl
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.