Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 6.0 water in hulls  Bottom

• Im a new (to me)owner of a Nacra 6.0. First 8 times out no water in either hull. Today went out, hit a rock with my daggerboard at 15knots followed by a pitchpole. Got it flipped backover, daggerboard maybe repairable-right hull has a 4 inch split/dent in it.
    Both hulls had about 2 inchs of water in them. Day was windy and wavy-lots of splash over the tramp.
    Where do you think this water is coming from?
    Left hull has no noticable damage

thanks
  • How much water by volume? cup, quart, gallon, 10 gallons
    Picture of dent, split?

Check port covers, and top of inside of daggerboard wells. Port Covers should have a small pin hole to vent hull.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • That sounds strange since you had good results the first couple of times. Are you sure you put the plugs in the hulls (yes stupid question but it happens).

Hard to say where it comes from. 2" of water in each hull is A LOT! It the other times you were out it wasn't wavy it might be something simple up high on the hulls (say the tramp track or where the rigging goes into the hull). Some good speed will force quite a bit of water through a small hole, but like I said 2" through the entire hull is a lot of water.

Normally you would go around and seal all the rivet holes, along the tramp tracks and where the rigging tangs come through the hull using a good sealant (like 3M 4200 or some such). That sounds like it could be something more serious. It is probably worthwhile to do a leak test once you fix the hull that is split using some soapy water, a piece of garden hose and a hair dryer (or the blower of a vacuum).

Here are a couple of threads on it

http://www.thebeachcats.c…ms/viewtopic/topic/11764
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ms/viewtopic/topic/11764

Careful not to put much pressure into the hulls. It doesn't take a lot to crack them. What you are looking for are stress cracks in the hulls that could be allowing water in.

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • The water must be comeing from the bottom of the hull where the daggerboard goes. That took a hell of a hit if you broke your daggerboard. Flip the boat over and inspect.......I have seen people use a device that puts air into the hull......then use a water bottle to poor over the bottom to look for bubbles. Once you find it, fiberglass it back up.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.