Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 18' Escape versus Classic P18  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Hi all,

Based on past posts on this site, I understand there are significant differences between the P18 and P18-2, e.g., asymmetrical hulls on the 18 versus symmetrical hulls with dagger boards on the 18-2. Can anyone tell me the difference between the Prindle Escape and the regular P18 or 18-2. How does the Escape fit into the mix? Thanks!

--
    Steve, OCNJ
    --
  • From what I have been told (not from my own knowledge) The Prindle Escape is just a P18 with a P16 Rig. So smaller mast and sail area.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • The Escape... Is a 18 ft. boat with a 16 mast and sail's...it's more for Resort's. & first timer's + it hold's more people.... icon_biggrin
  • If you find a deal on an escape don't pass it up it is still a good famliy boat and if you happened to find a good P18 for parts that has Mast Rig and sails you could make it a full blown P18.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • Thanks. I found an old post by DanBerger dscribing the Escape in pasing as a "newer club version of P18 classic". I've been scratching my head trying to figure out what that meant. But now I get it.

Sounds like a good beginner boat, which is probably what I need. I found one for sale locally. I'll definitely go have a look at it.

Is there any reason the smaller sail area would hurt if sailing on the ocean, e.g., powering through waves to launch off the beach?

--
    Steve, OCNJ
    --
  • Think of it as a P-18 classic with the sails reefed.
  • snashThanks. I found an old post by DanBerger dscribing the Escape in pasing as a "newer club version of P18 classic". I've been scratching my head trying to figure out what that meant. But now I get it.

Sounds like a good beginner boat, which is probably what I need. I found one for sale locally. I'll definitely go have a look at it.

Is there any reason the smaller sail area would hurt if sailing on the ocean, e.g., powering through waves to launch off the beach?

Pretty much all beachcats are overpowered by design so I don't see how this would matter for that. If your racing another regular P18 then you will have less sail and be a bit slower but may be a bit faster than a P16 with the extra length in the Hulls.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • Sounds like a good boat to start off with, you can upgrade the rig but you may not want to! Even with a 16 rig I bet its plenty fast. There is less than 40 lbs difference between the P16 and P18.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • doesn't it also have wings?

QuoteIs there any reason the smaller sail area would hurt if sailing on the ocean, e.g., powering through waves to launch off the beach?

yes.. besides the reasons you mention (power/waves).. with less sail, mast and possibly more people.. you will go much much slower than a p18 with less people and a bigger engine.. and even slower gainst a 18-2 and you will be creepin next to a P19.

so if speed is a goal.. this isn't gonna be the fastest cat (but you'll get a great handicap if you do race)

PS 18-2's have centerboards that pivot into the hulls (vs daggar boards that slide up and down the hull like hobie18's)
  • Clearly I have some things to think about. I don't plan to race anyone, and have no particular need for Mach 1 speed. I really just want something that will comfortably sail through the breakers when launching off the beach and then ride moderate waves on the open ocean. And I'm a newbie to sailing, so don't nead extra sails to help me capsize if I make a rookie mistake.

So I guess I just need an adequate, but not overpowered boat that can carry a friend or two. Based on what I've seen here, it sounds like the Escape should fill that role nicely. Do you disagree MN3?

--
    Steve, OCNJ
    --
  • The escape is probably fine.. but you will get tossed around more than a P16 or H16 because the 18 and 18 escape have Hobie18 shaped hulls (long & straight) and get tossed around quite a bit in waves. The P16 is shaped like the Hobie16 and is probably best for surf.
  • MN3The escape is probably fine.. but you will get tossed around more than a P16 or H16 because the 18 and 18 escape have Hobie18 shaped hulls (long & straight) and get tossed around quite a bit in waves. The P16 is shaped like the Hobie16 and is probably best for surf.

How is the P16 shaped like an H16? I have both and frankly they are shaped very differently from what I can see..am I missing something?

--
    85 Prindle 16
    "If you aint the lead dog the view never changes"
    North Carolina
    --
  • h16 and p16 both have pronounced curved hulls (banana shaped), called rocker that makes going through surf less "bumpy".

more modern designs have much less rocker in the hulls (for the most part).

The rockers (like everything on a boat) have pro's and cons. They act as a centerboard/dagger boards along the entire hull that make pushing through surf a bit easier (as they don't get turned easily). conversely they are known to be a bit tough to tack (for the same reason).

Also the H16 esp is overpowered with a big sail plan and can also punch through the surf.. i can't speak for the P16

http://www.israeltours.com/h16.jpg

modern 16' design
    http://www.israeltours.com/f16.jpg

Edited by MN3 on Aug 11, 2011 - 10:45 AM.
  • Pretty sure the hulls of a P16 and a P18 are almost identical except for length. The Escape is the same as the P18. The P18-2 and P19 would more like the Hobie 18. The Flat sides of the P16, P18, and escape do take impacts from sideways wave action pretty hard though.

Edited by Quarath on Aug 11, 2011 - 11:19 AM.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • Yeah H16 and P16 hulls are nowhere near similar in my eyes - no real banana shape to Prindle 16.

just my 2 cents

--
    85 Prindle 16
    North Carolina
    --
  • Drummer63Yeah H16 and P16 hulls are nowhere near similar in my eyes - no real banana shape to Prindle 16.

just my 2 cents

The hulls on the Prindle 18, Prindle 16, and Hobie 14 and 16 are asymmetrical and boardless. They both have extreme rocker below the waterline, that replaces the side-slip resistance that would be done by daggerboards or centerboards.

You could argue about the banana-hull reference but only because that usually refers to the Hobie 16 hull which really does look like a banana in profile due to the fact that the decks of the hulls are curved also. On the Hobie 16 the deck of the hulls are not the deck of the boat, because of the raised tramp platform.

Since the Prindle 18/16 have "banana bottoms" but flat decks, maybe they are half-banana shaped. icon_eek

Whatever, these asymmetrical boardless designs work very well in the surf they were designed for.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • You say "Banana" and I say "Banana".....huh give that I am English it sounded funnier than that when I said it.... icon_biggrin

--
    85 Prindle 16
    North Carolina
    --
  • QuotePretty sure the hulls of a P16 and a P18 are almost identical except for length.

after seeing a picture of the 16 and 18 next to each other....i think your right..

I was mistaken because when i had my h18, my friend had a p18 and they handled similar in the surf (not great, and bounced around a lot). Perhpas the lenght of the hull over the rocker is the cause of this?

Edited by MN3 on Aug 11, 2011 - 12:26 PM.
  • Well I have never sailed in the Ocean but I can vouch that a P18 sitting in light wind getting bombarded by ski boat and jetski wakes will bounce all over the place.

I found a PDF that says it is a Prindle Escape Manual but it look more like a spec sheet that list the following standard equipment.

5 Year Limited Warranty
    Molded White Hulls with Non-Skid Decks
    Harken Hardware
    Kick-up Rudder System
    Matching Main and Jib Colors
    Hinged Mast Step System
    Beam Mounted Jib Blocks
    Clear Anodized Aluminum Rig
    Coated Shrouds
    Mesh Trampoline
    Fiberglass Battens
    Tiller Extension
    Hull Graphics
    Reinforced Keel
    Window in Jib
    Manual Furling Jib

I found the bold items to be interesting and a plus to buying an escape.

The Picture shows a Bow Foil in use with the furler as well instead of the standard bridles. The extra length of the boat must allow the movement of the Jib blocks to the beam which is a huge plus in my book

it says:

The Prindle Escape:
    Carefree And Simple Sailing For The Recreational Sailor

Utilizing all the fun features of a spirited catamaran, coupled with a simple and sturdy design, the Escape offers long lasting performance for the recreational sailor. The Escape is designed with a number of specific features to provide both low maintenance and longevity. And best of all, the Escape is extremely easy and safe to sail.

An innovative bridle mount system results in a larger jib that propels the Escape at exciting speeds and allows for easier tacking.

The Escape also offers an optional rack system called “CatRax” which adds a new dimension to sailing comfort.

Structurally sound hull and deck construction and a Kevlar reinforced keel assure years of off the beach sailing. The asymmetrical hulls also eliminate the need for daggerboards, which makes the Escape an ideal beach boat. Powering the Escape is a modest sized sailplan and self-furling jib. The boomless rig and lack of mast spreaders also help to eliminate weight and add sailing comfort. Ease of handling is the trademark of the Escape. Whether single or doublehandling or out with a group of friends, the Escape will offer years of carefree, comfortable sailing.

Anyone know what the CatRax system was?

If the price was good and I could afford it I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • Quarath
    Anyone know what the CatRax system was?

Prindle Wings

If anyone ends up with more Escape material, please put it here.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=81472

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=81481&g2_serialNumber=3

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=81480&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.