Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

New guy with recently bought Nacra 5.2!!  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

• Hey everyone,
    I am new here and I used to sail a hobie 14 way back when I was a youth in South Florida on some lakes down there near my grandparents house. Now I have two young children and wanted to get them into sailing so scouring craigslist I found a good deal on a used older Nacra 5.2 . This boat is in decent shape altho it could use a re-gelcoat and some cleaning of the sails. It sails real nice altho It is much different from the hobie in the rigging dept. I am planning to move back to Florida pretty soon and probably be in the Port St. Lucie area down there. Right now I am enjoying the boat with my family on the lakes around my area here in Tennessee. It does not take too much wind to make her scream which is nice because being that far from the ocean there is not that much wind typically. Anyways, are there any others here that have a 5.2? Peace

Pete
  • I think there are more 5.2 owners on this forum than just about anywhere else. At least 5 others I can name off the top of my head. Any questions or tips needed do a quick search and you will probably find them. If not ask a question. Between all of us we have probably solved every problem, worked out the proper things to do and fixed every part of that boat. I have a reasonable boat gallery here http://www.thebeachcats.c…cf85743bac2794bc51f5d886

There are a number of others in teh members gallery. Welcome aboard! Now I`m off to go sailing for another week!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • That is good news because I am not entirely sure what goes where. My boat has the old style antirotation bar under the boom. The hulls are in good shape and as I said I want to repaint them to be nice and white. I have a good friend who is gonna help me with some applied graphics to the hulls and I am working on getting some sail graphics done. Other than that the boat is in good order. We took it out like four times now and even in a pretty nasty squall that crept up on us it has held together. It sure was flying with that wind man I gotta say. Compared to the Hobie 14 I used to sail this thing is like a formula one race car....

I need to rig up some sort of sideloader for the daggerbaords like you did. I was thinking about using some heavy bungees wrapped in surgical tubing and then laced into the grommets in the tramp or maybe pop rivet some eyelets into the hull next to the daggerboard slots. I also need to find some way to put bungees on my trapeze wires and find some harnesses. Anyone made their own harnesses? I want to get this boat looking real sharp and learn to sail it properly. My wife and kids love going out on it and I really love that I can get out on the lake and not use any gas or oil... Just the pure beautiful power of the wind... Amazing really. What is the fastest anyone has gone on an 5.2 nacra? ANy idea? Peace and thanks for the kind welcome and picture gallery...peace

Pete
  • For the side loaders I have a pvc pipe inside a clear hose. I painted the pvc to match the graphics. My bungees are secured with bolts through the tramp track. I like the grommets on the tramp better. The bungee for the crew trap runs through the front beam. Wolfman is right, I know I have asked every question imaginable and everyone has been patient with me. I have moved the jib leads under the tramp and removed the bar.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Hey thanks man, pics or it didn't happen!! peace

Pete

icon_cool icon_biggrin icon_lol
  • Hey.. A California guy also got a new (to him) 5.2 this year. Had lots of questions and was bold enough to put them out here. He was amazed how helpful this site staff and guys were.. Check out my string starting in Feb -11.

http://www.thebeachcats.c…opic/topic/12306/start/0

Great tips from all of the crazies here !! I wanted to up grade all the stuff right then.. But someone said.. PATIENCE GRASSHOPPER.. SAIL HER FOR A WHILE.. Been doing that since June 1.. Glad I did !! But.. and tomorrow I will.. install new Pivmatics for the rudders... Over the winter I will.. 1. Put the jib block tac lines under the tramp. 2. Gromits in the tramp for the trap lines.. 3. cradles for the hulls on the trailer.. 4.Move the boom mount UP on the mast up 6 inches where the dimond wires tac. (and re-mount the rotation arm above the boom so even a fat guy can switch sides quickly).... 5. Going to put on the captive base type mast base... (Look on line cuz they are not to be found new)!! 6.. New sheets and lines ect.. I like the stock bungi set up for the daggers. (I single and they are not in the way for me) and (Positive pull and only pull one way to free up). My son has a 5.8. Dont like that set up.. Not sure about the pole fron xmember to xmenber. Only lost a pint or two of blood going over it but like it for a foot rest cuz I am tall.
    My girl has ony a RED 5.2 on a huge great white sail so NO DECALS on the sail for me !! Classey.. Perhaps a BIG ASs* RED "Nacra 5.2" on the hulls.. I did replace the rigging. Got a new set from Calib on the east coast from a 5.0. Bridals were weird but stays and fore-stay worked. Might try to find a set of rudder casting that are adjustable unless someone her has an idea how to get them to tuck in a bit farther..
    Might post in the Tec blog. Might get more info/ advice/feedback if you need it Cheers Hal

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • Mine are just a piece of PVC pipe with some foam wrapped around them (pipe insulation). One word of advice, round off the the inside of the pipe or the edge will cut through the bungee. You need pretty good tension on them, so a couple of hammok hooks rivetted into the tramp rail (or grommet in the tramp work best. Also the stock shock cord is doubled 1/4" shock cord, enough to span between the hooks plus about 4-5" unstretched.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • petefromtn
    Anyone made their own harnesses? What is the fastest anyone has gone on an 5.2 nacra?

i use an old windsurfer waist belt, not good enough for trapezing hours on end but good enough for small lakes

can be seen at the start of this video

http://www.vimeo.com/5075989

solo on my 5.2, 15knot reaches are common, more than that very rare....
    at 15knots 170lbs? on the wire off the back corner is only just enough to keep the almost fully submerged leeward bow from digging in

another 170lbs next to me on the other trap, and stronger winds, would lever that bow up a few inches allowing another couple of knots but those loads are killing 30 year old cats...
  • I dunno about all of those mods, but the moving the boom up a few inches would not hurt. Up at the front it gets pretty tight and while I do not consider myself FAT, I am a big guy at 6'0 230 lbs... It is all I can do to pop from side to side without getting my life jacket caught under the boom rigging. Also the idea of putting the jib sheets under the tramp I do not understand completely. I know my rig is setup with some slits in the tramp on both sides. There are steel cables coming from the back of the boat and secured to the little pulley blocks that control either side of the jib sheet lines. There are also several bungees underneath the tramp. Two large blue ones that kinda go diagonally to the front outer edges of the little triangular brace underneath the mast. There is also a pair of bungees that go to the jib sheet blocks. This is all difficult to describe without pictures. I need to take some. I am gonna pop some pics if you guys can forgive the chalky worn look of my hulls until I can get them painted. This is after all an older boat.... peace

Pete
  • Okay guys,
    I just posted some pics of the nacra in a photobucket account for the boat. I will post pics there from now on as I could not figure out how to post them here... You can see the rigging and the mast and the whole boat as it currently sits. Any ideas or suggestions on this would be MOST appreciated. Thanks and peace

Pete

http://s150.photobucket.c…acra%20catamaran%20album
  • If you were to raise the boom a few inches how do you make the mainsail work then? I know when my sail is all the way up the bottom of the sail might be an inch or two from the top of the boom. IS there a trick I am not seeing here or do you need to cut and sew the sail? It does sound like an appealing idea. Also how difficult would it be to add another set of trapeze lines to the port and starboard sides. MIne appear to be sorta woven into the stanchion cables and into the rings at the top of the mast..? It would be nice to not have to have just one on each side if my wife ever gets the courage to fly out on the side of the boat like that. I am also considering sewing up my own webbing harnesses. When I was a firefighter our high angle rescue instructor showed us how to fab a quick harness from webbing and that was just tied up but I think a fellow could sew a nice harness easily that would fit under the life preserver pretty easily. I also noticed that you can buy the steel harness hook seperately. Some of the nicer harnesses are in the $200,00 range. I am gonna need at least two... plus I am kind of a DIY guy...peace

Pete
  • If your trap wires are swagged into the shrouds you may have the originals. Captain Kirk at Key Sailing told me that was the stock set up. You may want to replace those shrouds and of course buy new trap wires, Moving the boom leads to more problems. the least of all you would have to recut the main. The slits are for running the jib leads under the tramp. This makes the boat much more friendly. Just attach an eye under the tramp in the same place the eye is above the tramp. Your wife will love the space. I removed the bar and glad I did. I agree with some of the other guys here about the age of the boat. I do not sail mine hard, double trapping on a 30 year old boat could put alot of stress on the hardware.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Nice boat. I noticed the tramp is a newer/replacment with the slits for the jib blocks. I am curious as to your future graphics. I eventually want to reproduce the NACRA 5.2 decal or something similar.

I also have an old Nacra and have made some reference pics: http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=71663

--
    Gray Amick
    Chapin, SC
    '77 NACRA 5.2
    --
  • I bought 2 decals "Nacra 5.2" 56 inches by 6 inches for $15 apiece last summer at a print shop. One color. I assume they could have done whatever I wanted. they put it on computer and the next day wallah! Here is a picture http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=76228

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Gamick,
    Hey man that is some beautiful rebuild you did on that boat. I am really liking the front trampoline you did, I saw a video of a hobie getaway that had something similar and there were little kids like mine riding in it getting wet. I have an old trampoline here ya know a round jumping trampoline that I bought a new tramp surface for it that has not been used. I was kinda hoping I could cut it up and then sew it into something like what you have there. How did you attatch the forward crossmember to the hulls? How strong is it? I do not expect to be able to have ME walk across it but I would love for the kids to be able to ride up there and be out of the way of the boom and enjoy getting splashed as we crank along. Also what did you paint your hulls with?

Golfman,
    Hey man do you have a source of a file for the Nacra logo? Perhaps a .DXF? Peace

Pete
  • My 5.2 is an older one.. There is 6 to 8 inches between the top of the boom and the bottom of the main.. The rotation post is the old single post type mounted 4 in above the tramp. My mast is the same as yours however I have been using a sail from a newer boat. It may be shorter. Going to measure this weekend.. I did replace the old style shrouds. A bit tight for the trap conections up top.. First time out this weekend with the new rigging.
    News at 11..he he Hal

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • What is the new style shrouds look like? I am actually not displeased with the boom setup. If I can get this thing painted in some durable white color and get some graphics on it as well as rig up some kinda bungee for the trapeze setups and then get ahold of or make some harnesses I think I will really be enjoying this boat. Getting it out on the lake last time was a lot of fun and I love that it does not really cost me anything. I only have around $900.00 in the whole boat and trailer so far.... Peace

Pete
  • petefromtnOkay guys,
    I just posted some pics of the nacra in a photobucket account for the boat. I will post pics there from now on as I could not figure out how to post them here...

Did you find these instructions in the FAQ?
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…s/pictures-in-forum-faq/
    You can still post the actual pic here, even using the Photobucket account pics. But if you have your own members album it makes your pics easier to find.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Pete take them a picture of whatever style you like. They will be able to reproduce it. The new shrouds do not have the trap swagged on. Ergo you have to buy new trap wires also and hook them up to the shackle on your mast hound.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • when the 5.2 came out it had just the single trap line swagged to the sidestays

so there were only 3 ends at the D? shackle at the single mast hound

later when they haded the 2nd trap line from the factory i think they also added a dedicated mast hound for the 4 trap lines

if you have a single hound boat, pre-1984? there isn't much space up there for 3 stays and 4 trap lines, so you may have to get creative with shackles and things to make them all fit

i gave up and simply removed 1 set of trap lines

never gets windy enough here to need 2 on the trap anyway

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.