Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Cat-tastrophy @ Seabrook Beach NH  Bottom

• H/16 @ Seabrook Beach NH

The 8th time out this year... or total times out.

Trailered my new to me H16 out to the ocean today, about 80 miles round trip. I picked my cat up from a friend of a friend who hadn't used it in about 8 years. Elbow grease and a few odds and ends and we are ready and able., or not. The boat seems to have quite a few upgrades.

Conditions today, ENE wind 5 to 10. We would launch through 2-3 foot beach break. Swell period was in the 8 -9 range also out of the E. Water was wicked warm at 70. Sunny with an outgoing tide.

Rigged and ready to go.

The waves were pretty constant. You could see out enough that I thought we could get out between sets. I pretty much knew I was F'd as soon as we walked the boat out into the surf. The surf was large enough that we needed to keep the bows straight into them. Problem with that was we couldn't sail in that direction at all, not a friggin chance.

It was at this time we should have realized we were doomed.

We sat in irons, in the impact zone for a shit ton of waves. I was suprised how well it handled it honestly. We kept it trimmed by being as far forward as we could, takin' a ton of water over the head. Bobbing, getting hammered, in the shallow water, in irons, people all over the beach, SCRASH SMASH and BASH. I try to point SE to get some wind in the sails, that puts us almost sideways into the waves. Bammm we take one OK, trying to now head up into the swell BAMM the second rocks this mutha and now puts us in the bent over position of now taking waves right over my starboard rail. Well just one wave. I bail just in time; crew also. Hull in the air, then backwards towards the beach. Without us.

Parents screaming. Kids, bodyboards and swears flying, my Hobie is now heading north up the beach without us.

It doesn't get too far, maybe a hundred yards. WTF. We are battered and beaten. Cut, bruised and bleading. When we catch up to my dearest Hobie as she now rests on the beach an Orca fat women tells us we should just lower the sails and put it away. With a bit of attitude. I concur. My crew on the other hand hits her with,

"Who are you? The friggin' Harbor Master. Mind your buisness."

We ARE done though. With the damages taking their toll on both boat and body. Two small but nasty cuts to each thumb, a little nick to the big "Sgt Hulka" toe that just wouldn't stop bleeding and my crews possible broken finger. The sweet Atlantic didn't just stop at its' physical abuse. It cost me a rudder and a paddle. The port rudder is now about 6 inches shorter than its' counterpart and the paddle is also alittle shorter too.

The crowd applauded as we dragged the boat up the beach a ways. Mocking? Heard a "nice try" "did you guys rent that?" "going out again?" "you guys worked harder than anyone on the beach today" "next time watch the kids".

Lessons learned.

--
    The Bone
    H16
    Mass / NH
    --
  • What, no video?

Sorry to hear how your day went, but glad your boat wasn't destroyed and no serious injuries (to you or the swimmers).

Try again, but maybe a little more aware of the conditions and your skill level. Heading out through moderate surf directly into the wind against the waves is a situation that takes some skill and experience. Of course the only way to get experience is days like you just had!

Keep at it.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • heh, heh. Anyone on here who doesn't admit to having at least one day like that is a liar! That is why we tend to be pretty twitchy on the subject of safety and sailing within your skill level (to some peoples chagrin). We've all done it, gone out in stuff above our heads, or had major malfunctions that could have been easily avoided leading to a miserable day. As long as no one got injured (cuts and bruises aside) and the coast guard didn't have to save your butts call it a 'learning experience'.

In a year after you learn the boat and build your skills either you will look at that day and say 'was i crazy!?' or you will say 'man if I knew then what I know now...'. It's part of the life, and having people shake thier head at you with snide comments doesn't help. If I had a dollar for every beginner sailboarder who I towed back to shore when they realized that they didn't know how to steer...

My own mom 'Shamu' (she even has the black and white swim suit) did the same thing to me several times. Now I'm going out in 18 knots and loving it!

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Makes me glad I'm a lake sailor.

I had a pretty decent sailing weekend but it did not start out so well. First trip out had pretty good winds probably 20+. I was taking my dad for a short run first run of the trip. The wind blowing directly on shore. I had my dad on-board. ( he refuses to wear water gear so in his button-up and jeans.) I pushed off slightly angled to port and was getting adjusted and did not mind my tiller very well and veered through the wind to starboard and just about flipped it right there. We were still shallow so actually bailed off side dumping considerable weight so as to not dump my dad in the drink. Got to test my little step up to get back on the boat which worked pretty well from the shallows where I could touch bottom but is untested while floating.

After that things went pretty well. Didn't get to wild with my dad on board and dumped a lot of air but there was a lot of chop and he got pretty soaked in his jeans and shirt. His idea of a good sail is on his little sunfish. He says my Prindle is just to complicated.

Later that day and the next I got some good single handing and some good time in flying the hull. This was a first for me as with my wright I have had the hull nearly out of the water but all the way out. This time I had it up at a good 30-40 degrees or so fairly consistently. I had a few close calls as I don't have much experience holding that. I have a major bruise on the back of my arm from using it to catch myself from dumping off the side once when I veered down to much when I dumped from the main at the same time. I was slowly getting the hang of it and did even better the next day.

Did a little flying with my oldest son at the helm and me as crew as well. It's even harder getting the feel for it when someone else in the one in control of the boat.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • http://img.ffffound.com/static-data/assets/6/4900e8ae8268648d0c41c82e58b6f4455dd0d3b6_m.gif

launching on a crowded beach is one my least favorite moments of sailing
  • Been there, done that and would have ended up with injuries, and a wounded boat if I didnt have a large group of "handlers" helping us stay pointed into the oncoming waves. 5-10 ocean breeze in 2-3 ft waves is a tough launch. Last beach trip I made to the South Carolina shore we had winds of 17-21 straight up the coast out of the south. Wave sets were tight, but with that wind direction we could have shot through most any seas.

There will be better days, and better decisions made in the future.

Good Luck!

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • h16 rudders are cheap... you got off lucky.,.. great lessons learned.
  • Lake sailing has its own set of challenges. On Monday, we were on Lake Lanier and beached for lunch. The wind picked up to about 15, blowing straight at the beach. On one side of the beach was a row of pilings and the other side of us was a rock outcropping. I only had about a 50 wide space to try and get sailing. It took 3 attempts of pushing the boat out and jumping on, try to get the sails filled, realizing I was going to be pushed into the rocks and jumping back off.
    An ocean surf makes it especially tough. I've done it a few times, but it is ALWAYS hairy. It does give me an opportunity to practice my curse vocabulary, though.
    I am tempted to have my wife start sheeting in while I am in the water holding the boat. Then, just as the sails fill, jump on. My biggest fear is that I can't get on in time and my wife sails off without me. I usually walk the boat out so it is deep enough so the rudders can be put down. At the ocean, most of the time, that is right in the surf zone and I get hammered trying to hold the boat.
    There has got to be a way of beach launching with a headwind that doesn't cause so much misery.
    Thanks!
  • QuoteThere has got to be a way of beach launching with a headwind that doesn't cause so much misery.

u guys seen how they do it on the beach launches for the Tybee 500? It's ugly, broken rudders, broken daggars, broken spirits, cats flipping backwards into other cats....
  • I've sailed off the Outer Banks for a couple of years during our annual summer trip. Getting the boat powered up usually depended on getting everyone on board promptly - we have also dragged a line so crew unable to hop aboard in time could grab a tow and eventually catch up to the boat once we were beyond the breakers. Having a couple of helpers in waist-deep water pointing you in the right direction usually helps until you get underway and the rudders have authority.
    The worst part seems to be getting bathers' attention to move outta the way coming back in. Once you're committed and surfing those last waves in.. you're arriving. Sometimes no amount of shouting will get them to move and give you a lane. Having a helper on the beach to tell them is almost a must - they can't hear you over the surf noise from seaward.

--
    Hobie 16
    Hobie 18
    G-Cat 5.7
    --
  • RSabast
    The worst part seems to be getting bathers' attention to move outta the way coming back in. Once you're committed and surfing those last waves in.. you're arriving. Sometimes no amount of shouting will get them to move and give you a lane. Having a helper on the beach to tell them is almost a must - they can't hear you over the surf noise from seaward.

http://rideliquid.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Air_Horn.jpg

icon_biggrin
  • Seabrook Beach is one of my favorite surf breaks. Being in the impact zone is not anything I am a stranger to. However it is easier to get away from a 10 ft. longboard, than my Hobie 16. It is all part of being a true waterman. I spent the rest of the afternoon right there in the surf, on my longboard, not running over any families.

As far as the bathers... right, wrong or indifferent if a boat is heading towards you, it is common sense to move. Would you let a car run you over because you felt you had the right of way?

--
    The Bone
    H16
    Mass / NH
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.