Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Anyone ever sailed a Spark 15?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• I'm looking for a boat to sail solo when the wind gets over 20 mph, upper limit of 30 mph. We get quite bit of that towards the end of summer, early fall.
    I like my N5.7, but it's lots to hang onto solo once the wind hits 20. My regular crew is working more than he thought, & my wife doesn't want to go out if there is a chance of tipping. I can sail without flipping in 20-25, but I have to mostly point, & lets face it, conservative is just not as much fun as going all in.
    I have a line on a Spark 15, wondering if it would be a blast in high wind, & if easy to right at 170 lbs might be a fun toy.
    I've only seen Portsmouth on the Dart TSX, whick I believe is like the Spark, only totally worked over & modernized. It sounds like there is a soilid fleet in the UK, but I can't really find much info on them, especially, will they handle rough water well or do they want to pitch.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Give somebody $500 to run down to Witchita for that P-15 for $400, add a jib for $100 and you have heavy air boat for a grand--and no boards. Pete
  • Good idea Pete, I had though about a P15, seems to fit the bill pretty well, but I've never seen one where I live. The one you mentioned would probably be a good deal, but Witchita is a 1300 mile run, each way icon_eek Hard to get somebody to do it for $400.
    For my area the no boards is a good thing, looking at the few photos of the Spark (Dart, Sprint) it appears they are a skeg hull too.
    http://www.sailboatsales.com/showroom/images/130158607387870.jpg
    I had never seen a Spark, & knew nothing about them, but there is one available locally, so I wondered if anyone has any time on type.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Edchris177,

Do you have other pics of that Spark 15? I checked the Beachcats Identification and I don't have and album for these.

A little Googling and I found out that the Spark--Dart 15--Sprint 15 is the same boat over time and manufacturers. With the original Spark and Dart 15's made in the UK and then the Sprint 15 made in South Africa from the same molds.

I couldn't find the date when it switched from Spark to Dart, the boat in your picture looks to be in good shape, do you know what year it was manufactured?

http://www.sprint15.com

Here's a timeline from:
    http://www.sprint15.com/sprint15_timeline.php

Quote19.12.2004 Dart 15 Association Press Release: Cat with three lives
    From Spark to Dart 15 and now Sprint 15, this 25 year old veteran catamaran has been given a new name to signal its rebirth as a South African export.

In a ground-breaking move, the name was chosen by a ballot of existing owners, on the basis that satisfied customers would provide the best indication of what should appeal to prospective customers. Members of the class association were asked to pick their favourite from a short list of six names by electronic polling, with a postal option for those not on the internet. Half of the 300 members responded.

Releasing the results, Chairman Nick Dewhirst said that the most popular choice was F15, in recognition of original promoter, Ian Fraser. However, taking into account possible confusion with other classes, the committee awarded the name to the runner-up, Sprint 15, which retains a link to the catamaran's previous life, where this was the designation for the single-handed two-sailed racing format.

He says "This shows that a true classic can live on and on. Nearly 2000 have been built in the UK, a third of which were exported. Despite its age, and a long list of challengers, it remains the most popular single-handed catamaran in the UK. Indeed its two versions accounted for the two best attended championships of all catamaran classes in the country this year."

Newsletter editor, Paul Smith announced that the class magazine, Darticles would be in future be renamed NewSprint.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • QuoteDo you have other pics of that Spark 15?

This is the only other one I have. Am planning on examining the actual boat around Aug 8th.
    http://www.sailboatsales.com/showroom/images/130158607335546.jpg
    I don't know the year, & have not seen the sails. I found out that sail #1242 was 1988, & sail #1610 was a 1991.
    The boat intrigued me as it seems to be the most popular singlehanded cat in the UK. I would like a boat that I can handle easily in 30 mph. The Wave fits that bill, but the performance is lacking.
    It is also small enough that I can store it in the basement at the cottage. I got hold of a scanned manual, it comes apart quite easily, as it was designed to be cartopped, much like the Hobie Wave.
    Despite being a supposedly popular boat in the UK, I cannot find any Portsmouth numbers for it.

Edited by Edchris177 on Jul 27, 2011 - 08:35 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • The design/fit/finish is outstanding with these boats. They were origionally intended to be car-topable. Though never sailed a Dart smaller than an 18' myself, I've always wanted a 15 for heavy air. Looks like a blast!
  • QuoteI've always wanted a 15 for heavy air.

The smaller sail is a bonus for big wind days, & Rodney March certainly knew how to build a Cat.
    I have heard nothing bad about the Darts, there are a few of the larger ones around this part of Canada. They seem to have less sail area than a similar length Nacra, &.
    I found one link, said they had a tendency to hobby horse in choppy seas, best in sheltered waters, I suppose that is true of all the shorter boats.
    I found a site that rated them as 916, without the jib or trap, & 883 with. I don't know how that compares to the Portsmouth tables.
    The price is kind of high on this boat, if they will come down to a more reasonable deal, I just may buy it.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Update on this thread.
    Wow, it's been 6 years since I first had an itch to get one. I'm about to turn the big 60, not as agile as I used to be, & the idea of a performance Cat that weighs 100kg is itching pretty hard. I love the 5.7, & the H18 Magnum is growing on me,(the wife only wants wings so I have to keep it growing), but damn, a Cat I can right from turtle with no bags means I can push it without the work of righting the bigger Cats. They even come with a retractable righting line in the front beam, & the entire boat comes apart with no tools.
    Last year a nice '90 came up for sale, but I dithered too long & the ad vanished.
    A couple weeks ago I came across a '91 for sale. It is the Dart 15, (same thing as when Rodney March first built them as the Spark 15), upgraded to the now produced in S. Africa Sprint 15, with the addition of jib & trap.
    It was brought over from the UK when the original owner immigrated to Canada. Comes with 2 sets of sails, original & newer racing set, Gul harness, modified SeaDoo trailer, spare parts including rigging.
    Now, we don't really need 4 Cats on the dock, especially since I just bought a new stinkpot, & though the itch needed to be scratched I dithered for 12 hours & was told it sold.
    My wife said, "dummy, you don't waste a lot of money on yourself, why didn't you just buy it. You could always re-sell it if you don't like it."
    Ouch, that hurts.
    Next morning I get an email that the original buyer didn't show & was talking about next week. I put a deposit down with the proviso that it in fact matches his photos & description. I'm now sitting in steamy Shanghai, home tomorrow & going to inspect & hopefully pick up on Thursday. It's only a 2 hour drive away, lots closer than Chicago was for the 5.0!
    It also has one of the nicest looking sails I've seen on a production Cat
    I have the assembly manual, looks deadnuts simple,no boom, no boards, but lots of little things show much thought went into these boats.
    I'll add an album once I get it wet.

Edited by Edchris177 on Jul 12, 2017 - 01:38 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • QuoteWow, it's been 6 years since I first had an itch to get one. I'm about to turn the big 60, not as agile as I used to be,

any desires to try the f101?
    looks amazing
  • Quoteany desires to try the f101?

I didn't even know what that is...
    Looks cool, but foils are not good from my dock. It gets pretty shallow at summers end, & those tiny amas would be a tough sell in the rough water once outside the point.
    Also 18,000 Pounds, that's a lot of Johnny in our devalued $.
    I'll have to stick with the 1K I paid for the Dart 15.

Edited by Edchris177 on Jul 12, 2017 - 09:14 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • QuoteI'll have to stick with the 1K I paid for the Dart 15.

oh, I was gonna invite you down again for a ride when i get mine :)
  • Quoteoh, I was gonna invite you down again for a ride when i get mine :)

Call me.....I'll be there, with a couple of airline buddies who also sail. I appreciate you generosity with showing me the bones of Mystere when I bought a 6.0XL
    I had never hoisted a kite those years ago & had no idea they were kind of light wind sails. Our first hoist on the 6.0 was in 15kts. Many times that season I soloed a 20' x 13' (with wings), modern copy of the Tornado, square top sail & launched that kite from a tramp launched bag. Nothing like being 15' in the air, trapped out off a wing...ignorance is bliss!
    As Lindsey Buckingham said in a concert I attended, I've downscaled, from Fleetwood Mac to Me.
    Be honest, is this not one of the nicest looking Cats you have ever seen?
    I seriously considered a Wave, for pure fun, drive the living sh^t out of it, & flip it up after disaster.
    The Dart/Sprint 15 is a Wave on Crack Cocaine
    I know I won't beat the Nacra 5.0, but I am sure I will beat the older, moderately sailed H16's in the bay. It does not have the hull volumn to be great outside the protected bay on big wind days, but I bought it for 30mph days on flat water inside the point.
    Who else has a sail that looks this good?
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=128356&g2_serialNumber=3

Edited by Edchris177 on Jul 14, 2017 - 01:38 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • QuoteThe Dart/Sprint 15 is a Wave on Crack Cocaine

Haha!

QuoteI know I won't beat the Nacra 5.0, but I am sure I will beat the older, moderately sailed H16's in the bay

I know some teenagers who will take that challenge - you may beat them to weather but they will challenge you downwind :) (esp in light air)
  • So, I got it wet yesterday, it flies a hull pretty easy in 12mph breeze. Wind went light & flaky, so i retired after anhour.
    Steers like a dream, two fingers & a touch of weather helm. Came with a ton of spare parts, the guy must have owned a chandler shop. there are 3 furlers, 1 brand new never installed, brand new tendon attachments for tiller extension, 2 dozen various shackles, 2 sets of rigging,(one for Unirig, the other for jib & trap), sheaves, gelcote repair, & a bunch of SS rivets, nuts bolts various other bits. The extra sail/jib is almost brand new.
    I'm still playing with rigging, it seems to rotate to much, on all points of sail.
    Reading the Sprint 15 Assc newsletter, I came across this, in the Autumn 2015 edition. Is it exaggeration? 40-50 kts...with no damage?
    "What an amazing littke boat the Sprint 15 is. I had cause to reflect
    on this a few days ago from the foreshore at Stewartby when 13
    hardy souls took to the water for the first event of our popular
    Winter TT Series. Discretion was the better part of valour in my
    case as the forecasted 40 plus knots of gusts whipped across the
    lake in quick succession. As it turned out, my decision to spectate
    proved a good option. It gave me the chance to take some time
    and watch the racing. I guess, like many of you, that’s something
    we don’t often do because we’re taking part. But let me just say
    this. I was treated to a masterclass in high wind sailing by those
    who ventured onto the racecourse. Sure, there was quite a lot of
    swimming going on from time to time, especially when the gusts
    became even more frequent and began to top out around the 50
    knot mark. But the intrepid helms picked themselves up and
    carried on. It seemed to me that, whilst their own abilities were
    being severely tested, they knew that, so long as they could stay
    upright, their boats wouldn’t let them down. And none did. At
    the end of proceedings, all safely returned to shore. There were a
    few strained muscles, bruised bodies and a few mashed battens
    but no serious damage. Testament indeed to a little boat with the
    ability to provide great sport whatever the weather. Most classes
    go in to hibernation in the winter and there’s many a boat that,
    faced with such conditions, would have been kept on their
    trailers while their helms retreated to the clubhouse. Stewartby was
    a great advert for the people and the boat that make up this
    vibrant class. "

Edited by Edchris177 on Jul 28, 2017 - 10:53 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • I moved over to Dallas from the UK a couple of years ago and been trying to find a sprint 15/Spark to replace the fleet I had to give up when I came over. To go from sailing them most weekends to zero has been tough! If you’re ever in the market to sell the Spark, I would really love the opportunity to buy it. Thanks, Mark
  • There are not too many of the 15’s around, the 18 is far more common, though as you know, in the UK the 15 has the highest fleet numbers.
    I’ll keep you in mind, but, my 15 is up in Ontario, just about as far from Dallas as London!

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • QuoteI know some teenagers who will take that challenge - you may beat them to weather but they will challenge you downwind :) (esp in light air)

That is true. The Darts are undercanvassed, I don’t sail mine in light air. They become real fun at the 20mph mark.
    It is very difficult to compete with the massive jib on an H16, the Dart jib looks like a kid’s hanky.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Thanks for keeping me in mind, that’s a trip to Ontario that would be well worth it icon_smile . Thanks, Mark
  • If you want to consider a Dart 18, there is one for sale in our area (Clearwater, FL).

It’s not my boat and I don’t know the owner. It’s was on Craigslist.

--
    Dana, Holly, Emma & Hannah

LJ/Stu's Dart 18
    --
  • I just purchased a Weta for this.

I was out on Lake George on Monday (Labor Day) with a high wind advisory (reported gusts to 35mph). I was the only sailboat out and the Sherriff was assisting powerboats off the water. I did almost go over once... main was released and feathering into wind when my jib wouldn't release and it almost took me over on jib alone even feathering into wind... have to work on that jib release - :)

Note I got hit with a serious puff immediately after launch (downwind launch and couldn't see the gust/approaching black water since the gust was over land) and stuffed the bow but it popped back. I don't think I would have recovered on my cat and bringing the cat back upright with 20+ sustained and gusts to 35 is not fun.

BTW - wish I had gotten my act together and had a Velocitek cradle or gopro mount installed.

James

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.