Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 18 Magnum Wing Installation  Bottom

• I have a 1992 Hobie 18SE and would like to install some Magnum wings. I’m pretty sure this is possible but I’m not 100%. Can anyone verify that this can be done?

Also, would I need to rivet the anchor plates in place?

Lastly, where the wings rest on the end caps, is there any additional hardware that I need or do the wing tubes just rest around the end cap bolt?

Thanks.
  • Do you already have your wings? Do you realize there are two types, the original Magnum wings and the later SX wings?

The original Magnum wings were installed without the anchor plates, but I ended up adding them to my 1981 Magnum because the slugs were pulling out of the beams. The anchor plates were introduced later, maybe at the same time as the SX wings, not sure, but they really make the wings more secure.

The SX wings also have a rear strut that connects from the rear wings support to the deck lip behind the beam.

Yes, you have to add a tab at the end of the beams to connect the wing struts, this requires removing the outer beam bolts.

Here are the hobie wing assembly instructions, it has details that show the anchor plates and tabs.
    http://2010.archive.hobie…upport/pdfs/SX_Wings.pdf

Ask any questions.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Oh, and welcome to TheBeachcats.com.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Thanks for the help Damon! The instructions were exactly what I was looking for.

I just picked up some used Magnum wings yesterday along with most of the hardware. We were able to remove the bolts on the outboard corner castings but we didn’t have the right size hex key to unscrew the inboard supports. Therefore, we couldn’t get the slugs out of the trampoline track. I’m thinking that a 5/8” hex key will work but I’m not positive. Would the slugs be hard to find on the market? If so I don’t believe it would be that hard to fabricate them from a SS rod.

I have never changed removed/changed my trampoline before so I am unsure of exactly how to get into the tramp track. I am thinking that removing the inboard and outboard corner casting bolts should do. Any help with this task would be much appreciated.

As for the anchor plate, I think that it would be a great idea to use them. I have never riveted anything before but I am crafty so I’m not that worried.

Thanks again for the help and the welcoming!
  • kbossI have never changed removed/changed my trampoline before so I am unsure of exactly how to get into the tramp track. I am thinking that removing the inboard and outboard corner casting bolts should do. Any help with this task would be much appreciated.

You'll need to remove the trampoline to install the slugs, they get inserted into the same openings the tramp uses and then slide to the locations needed. That means you'd need to remove the tramp from the "donor" boat, but it would be worth it to get all the parts.

Also, once you have installed the wings and riveted on the reinforcing plates you can't remove the trampoline without drilling out the plate that ends up covering the tramp slot at the rear starboard location.

On my 1981 when I had the plates added the dealer tapped the beam and used stainless screws on that plate so it would be possible to remove it if I need to replace the tramp. Don't really know if that is worth doing since rivets are pretty cheap and it's not really that hard to drill them out.

I should mention that I sailed and raced my 1981 without the anchor plates for many years before they started popping out, so if everything looks solid with just the slugs, you might be ok, just keep an eye on them.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.