Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Cateez vs. Cat Trax  Bottom

• Needing a set of beach wheels for a P-16. Wondering which is more preferred by users. Thank you in advance. Also, anyone who has a set in mothballs, well here I am.....

--
    Dave R.
    Grand Haven, MI
    '84 Prindle 16
    --
  • I have not used Cateez but but you can't beat a good set of Cat Trax.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • If you are buying new, go for the cattrax. Same price, slightly better product.

Unlikely you will find a good set of used cat trax for much less than retail.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • cat trax have been around forever, and they probably aren't going anywhere, there is a reason they are $$$.

simple, effective, and american made icon_cool
  • That is less of an issue for some of us than others. :)

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • Do these need to be purchased through a brick and mortar retailer or is there a reliable/preferred online resource?

--
    Dave R.
    Grand Haven, MI
    '84 Prindle 16
    --
  • I *think* you can order direct
    http://www.floridasailcraft.com/CatProducts.htm

if not....

w/ out cradles
    http://www.murrays.com/mm…e=13-1401&Category_Code=

w/ cradles
    http://www.murrays.com/mm…e=13-1402&Category_Code=

or

store.catsailor.com

Edited by matt922 on Jul 07, 2011 - 12:32 PM.
  • Have them both. Cattrax are better. Pete
  • I ordered mine through florida sailcraft, top notch and they know how to ship them!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • if your gonna drop some cash, get cradles...i have old type and wheels rub inner hulls leaving gouges sometimes. they work great though(cat trax) but if i had the choice. the old type are real easy to roll up on though(and come squirting out from under too). fortunately, my launch spot is awesome and don't have to use wheels much at all.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=80900&g2

Edited by coastrat on Jul 08, 2011 - 04:27 PM.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Found someone locally who might be willing to seperate cattrax from his package he is selling. Says he has the unit that is for 8'6" wiide span. Can I make that work on a P-16? Do I need the cradles on for a P-16?

--
    Dave R.
    Grand Haven, MI
    '84 Prindle 16
    --
  • you do not NEED cradles for a p16 however there are times on P18 that I wish I had them just because it might make it easier to put the wheels on the cat by myself. If your trying to put them on on land you almost need 3 people. someone to lift the boat and one on each side to roll the wheels under and secure at the shrouds. In the water you can do it with 2.

They like to roll around on you a bit until you get them tied into the shrouds. With cradles you don't really even need to tie the wheels to the boat.

If it has cradles and they don't line up with your hulls you can move em so they do. If it doesn't you should be fine unless the wheels are placed too wide on the axel for some reason.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • i have wheels from Seitech, they came with my nacra5.8. with the handle it is easy to get them under the boat. i can do it by myself! the only thing i didn't like are the knobby tires it comes with. i had to cut them all off.
    http://shopna.laserperfor…uid=70026&GroupGuid=3059

bernd
  • vkmi have wheels from Seitech, they came with my nacra5.8. with the handle it is easy to get them under the boat. i can do it by myself! the only thing i didn't like are the knobby tires it comes with. i had to cut them all off.
    http://shopna.laserperfor…uid=70026&GroupGuid=3059

bernd

I can see where the handle could make loading the boat (in the water) easier single handed, never thought if it before.

But if folks think the Cattrax are expense, these are $743!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I will always say that the cattrax althogh pricey, are not expensive for what you get. I don't know how they make any profit after they pay or the parts. I've tried to price the parts out individually and always came out to more than the retail price. And I'm one of those silly people who stores their cat rigged all year so I only need them twice a year. Goes to show you that there is no substitute for the right tool for the job (do you think that florida sailcraft will pay me for the plug?) :).

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • QuoteBut if folks think the Cattrax are expense, these are $743!

That is expensive Damon. There are quite a few of those Seitech dollies around here. Every serious Laser or Byte, or Mega Byte racer has one.
    They are quite often included with the boat when buying used, or can be had for $200-$300 in nearly new condition.
    You can find them on sale brand new for 3-4 hundred, depending on which model you choose.
    I sold the one that came with my Invitation as I only move it a few feet down the lawn. Didn't have a Cat at the time, so never thought about keeping it. They are well made, & light, though the purpose built Cat Trax are probably better. Most of the dinghies are only in the 130-200 lb range, so the Seitech might not hold up to years of use with 400 lb boats.
    They would be a little more awkward to carry with you on the Cat , but they do break down so as to travel in a mini van. Everyone 'i ever saw came with knobby tires.

Quotethe only thing i didn't like are the knobby tires it comes with. i had to cut them all off.

HA HA that must have been a 6 pack job!

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.