Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

H18 SX Trap Setup with wings  Bottom

• I have a Hobie 18 SX model w/ wings and the trap lines are currently rigged outside the wings. I just broke a trap wire last weekend (plunk !!) and I'm going to buy a full set for both sides.
    I think I'd like to try the trap setup inside the wings this time to see which works better. Any opinions on this before I try it? I'm thinking the only problem may be that they get in the way when moving around (reaching into cooler, tacking, etc.) on a casual sail with a couple of friends on the wings.

Murray's has both H18 & H18SX replacements, and I'm guessing the difference
    is the SX ones are longer. Is that because they expect the setup to be outside the wings and they require a longer length, or because of the extra mast length?
    I guess my question is do I buy the H18 or H18SX trap wires if I rig INSIDE the wings?
  • I am betting the length is dependent on the mast length. I presume you have a rope adjuster system of somekind to make adjustements in overall length when using the trap lines? Where the lines are stored should not have an impact on length, where the lines are used could impact length. Using while on a wing versus using of the hull without wings, may change the desired wire length. But again I think the rope adjustment would be able to adjust for that difference.

I have my trap lines on the outside of my wings. I have a H18M, so the shorter mast but still have wings, and I used the H18 trap lines from Murray's. Length is good for me, so my guess is you want the H18SX lines.

If you broke a trap wire, I would recommend replacing your standing rigging also. Had the same thing happen to me, my wife went plunk one day while flying a hull, when the trap wire broke 3 feet up the wire and the wire looked perfectly fine. Before our next outing I had all new standing rigging and trap lines....

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Hey man, check out this...

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724&hilit=trapeze+system

L8r, Rob
  • That is a good link with a lot of information.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • QuoteUsing while on a wing versus using of the hull without wings, may change the desired wire length. But again I think the rope adjustment would be able to adjust for that difference.

I'm thinking along the lines of a pendulum effect. The closer to the hulls, the lower the dogbone would be. Yes, I can adjust with the lines to make the dogbone lower, but I'm limited on how high I can make it. I'm thinking it may be too low to hookup using the SX wires.

I did see that post, but I'm not interested in changing out the trap system. It seems the stock setup works well, and I don't see a need to mess with something that works. Mostly, I just wonder if inside the wings would be better. The adjustment ropes are very unkind on my wing tramps.

My standing rigging is less than 2 yrs old, but I only replace my trap wires when they break. Not really the best idea I guess. That's why I'm going to buy a new set this time.

Thanks for the replies..

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.