Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 16 rigging  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Time to fix up the old prindle we bought last summer and get on the water! Can someone tell me if there's supposed to be a clam-cleat at the base of the mast? My mast has two metal cleats plus one non-original and badly installed plastic jam cleat which I figured i'd replace with another metal cleat.
    Also, that little screw is broken off in the bottom of the dolphin striker rod. In the event that i can't successfully drill and retap the rod, is this part still available anywhere?

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    Lake St Francis (St Lawrence River)
    Lancaster, Ontario, Canada
    --
  • Been dealing with Prindles for 38 years so have a few parts! Try re-drilling & tapping for screw, but I have a rod. You probably have the older goosenecked boom. The H-16 bearing kit allows it to slide down mast easier when downhauling boom & sail. One cleat is sufficient, but I'd hang a small pulley or two to make it 3 or4:1. Prindle Pete 909-800-5237
  • Actually, i forgot - there is a a single pulley riveted to the base of the mast. You're saying I'd be better off having a pulley on the boom as well for more downhaul? And the jam cleat isn't supposed to be there? I'll be calling you for that rod for sure if I can't drill out the old one. Other than that though, are new replacement Prindle parts available anywhere?

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    --
  • Try calling 714=835=6416 which is Performance Catamaran. Remember they are in California for time reasons when you call. They still carry Prindle parts
  • murray's carries prindle factory parts...i got a new ds rod last year but the part was on back order for a few months and the bottom screw hole wasn't drilled out. call 'em first before you order online...they can be pricey a little.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Thanks guys!
    Hey Coast rat: did that rod have a manufacturing defect or is that how they sell them?

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    --
  • Look at nacra's dolphin striker rod system, they have a fitting that sits on top of the bar with a portion drilled out to fit the rod. Newer system. You need that part as well as the rod. I do not think they drill the hole any more. The screw was a bear to remove, the newer system eliminates that problem.
  • Quotedid that rod have a manufacturing defect or is that how they sell them?

don't know...still havent installed it. ended up making one. i need new mast base castings so i'll wait til then.

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • I have those too along with the rods. Pete
  • Well that clinches it. Next time I break something on my boat I'm going to have you on speed dial Pete!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I have 3 sets of front and rear crossbars for sale for P-16's (front crossbars have dolphin strikers attached in good condition. $65 plus shipping per crossbar
  • dang pete, how many boats do you have!...i bet it would take a minute for you to count em all! i have a new ds rod, should i drill and tap it like the old one. the 2 castings from murray's run about 80 bucks all brand nude before shipping...the thing i have run into with old ones is the alum threads crumble with the dissimilar metal corrosion between the ss rod and alum threads but i would be interested in a pair of used castings in good shape at the right price...

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • If you need the fitting that sits on the V-brace bar, (the one the bottom of the DS rod fits into) I have two extras.
    You can have onne for a $5 donation to Damon, here at The Beach Cats

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • thanks ed! especially for thinking of damon...my old part is still good but it's always nice to sit on some extras. what's the best way to get damon cash? hell, whatever i buy off of this site i'll cut him in, good idea. i'll get back with you on a pm later with the address and stuff...i know you spend a lot of time working in china and south america but if your ever around the new orleans/gulf coast area, give me a hollar and i'll take you out in the gulf for a few "pabst-a-rittas"(beer with salt water splash). october/november is windy and the water is still warm...mid summer is calm in the morning and a squall every afternoon!

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • Coastrat, do you mean a pair of castings to be the mast base castings and the small one over the band or a pair of mast base castings? I have two of latter; threads very good on one, other is corrosion welded to rod. The two rods have good threads for small screw. Have 11 boats at moment (just sold Sol 18), 5 Tornados, 4 Prindles, H-16 & Nacra 18, but more landsailors than that. Just got back from dry lake after 52.6 run (and one split mast & a blown tire). Pete
  • must be a thrill when the boat breaks up @ 52.6 mph! can only imagine what an ice boat crash could do...

i need the casting on the mast base itself and the casting on the crossbar, mine has worn so far that the rotation of the mast is 1/4" more than it used to be. figured i'd start freash w/both pieces and install new ds rod and the nylon ball. gonna call performance and murrays monday and see if they are in stock somewhere.

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • I have a prindle 16 rigging question:

I am redoing all of the lines on this boat I purchased, so Im unfamiliar with how its set up.

Anyway I bought a bunch of sta-set and Im using the salty dog line kit page as a reference.

My question is why does it say there are two jib halyards at 22 feet each?
    I put one halyard on and played around with the jib some, it works fine, 2:1 purchase and its good to go.
    Is the second halyard a misprint?

Also Ive seen trap shock cords on prindles routed towards the back of the boat, or ran across through the tramp, is one setup better than the other?
  • the 2 halyards make it easy to store when the sail is raised. the s hook section connects to the sail, the other section connects to it with a pair of sister clips and is removed when the sail is raised. then the extra piece is coiled up and put into the tramp pocket. make sure your s hook section isn't longer than the zipper when the sail is raised, about 12 to 18" short of the bottom. the s hook section's end(sister clip) is zipped up in the luff, loose. just unzip, hook up extra section, and you can unhook the s hook to lower the sail.

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • My jib doesnt have any zippers at all, nor was there a second halyard, so I still dont understand how that works. theres an eyelet at the base of the mast that I run the halyard through and tie the end to the attachment clip, this keeps it fron going up when the jib is off.

Got a picture of that double setup?
  • I bid a trip to Australia last week, as i wanted to look at the new 14' Nacra (4.3) It looks to be everything the Hobie 14 wasn't, large volume hulls, spinnaker, goes like hell! They are in production, & selling them now, but only down under I believe.
    I need a new mast ball for my 5.7, I'm going back to Oz tomorrow, will be home on Thurs evening. I think I have 4 of them (new) lined up down there, along with a handful of those little delrin rudder adjustment screws for the Nacras.
    I had heard Murrays didn't have the balls anymore. I think I can get these 4, along with 16 rudders screws, at a cost of $10 each. I'm going to sell them for $15, & donate $5 to The Beachcats for each one sold. You get a new delrin 1.5" mast ball, & 4 rudder adjust screws for $15

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.