Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Which Catamaran to choose?  Bottom

• Dear all,
    I would like your opinion.
    I live in a wonderfull island in MEXICO where, unfortunately, there is no sailing club or sailers..... But it's a wonderful place to sale. Said that, I was a catamaran sailor (Hobbie Cat 16) a few years ago. Now that I'm here, I plan to go back to catamaran.
    The main characteristics are:
    1) Mainly for 1 person, with trapeze, but would like the possibility to put an helper on trapeze too.
    2) Stay on the 16'-17 range.
    3) make some long range trip (50-80 miles) so need to carry some survival equipment (for 2), food, drink, etc....
    4) Be fast and fun.
    5) Be strong enough to support coastal sea waves and wind.
    Any suggest on witch model to buy or any recommendations will be really appreciated.

Thanks

Patrick

--
    Patrick DW.
    Ciudad del Carmen, Mexico.
    --
  • The 16 is not a bad choice but I think some Prindle guys on here may have good things to say about the weight those boats can carry for that length. They have larger hull volume and can carry more weight. You just may have an issue finding parts. But I'll leave that up to the Prindle owners to let you know what they think.

I sail a Hobie 18 and it would handle the weight but if you do a lot of solo sailing that may not be the boat for you and as you said you want to stay in the 16-17' range.

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • What can you get your hands on down in Mexico? Hobie 16's are abundant, option 1, option 2 Prindle 16, but if you can get your hands on a used Hobie Getaway, now that would be the way to go. Rotomolded hulls are indestructible, front tramp for storing all survival equipment, hatches for food and drink, once you get going you may never come back, keep on island hopping hombre.

Turbo
  • Where are you in Mexico ? I have couple of Prindle 16's in La Paz. Pete 909-800-5237
  • pbegleWhere are you in Mexico ? I have couple of Prindle 16's in La Paz. Pete 909-800-5237

Wow Pete, you are everywhere!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • which La Paz? tried googlemapping La Paz and came up with several options, the one in Mexico has no water anywhere near.

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Pete,
    I'm in Ciudad del Carmen, Campeche. South of MX on the Mexican Gulf.

--
    Patrick DW.
    Ciudad del Carmen, Mexico.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.