Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Florida lakes & gators!!  Bottom

• I guess this would be a post geared towards Florida or SE sailors but was wondering how safe you think it is in Florida lakes to sail in? Im new to sailing and my thinking is I would like to learn in a lake but I would rather swim with sharks than gators if capsizing. Tell me your thoughts on which you think is safer for me to learn lakes with gators or the ocean?
  • You will be fine in either. I have grown up swimming with Gators around my whole life and have never been bothered by them. That being said I could go out tomorrow and be eaten bu it not very likely.
  • i live in the tampa area and i wont sail in any lakes down here.

to date i have never heard of anyone having a shark jump in their boat but my buddy did land a 5' black tip 1 mile of the dunedin causeway last week (at caladisi pass)

i would suggest you try the beach and do not slather yourself with seal juice and avoid capsizing at dusk (sharks feeding time) and away from marina's where fish guts are thrown and attract bait fish. we did have a tiger shark kill a dolphin at the seminal boat ramp last year
  • av8er you have bigger balls than me! MN3 yea ive caught a couple sharks from the beach myself but it doesnt bother me to know that im probably not far from swimming with them. I've actually seen a baby balacktip swim by me down at passe grill. You dont see the netted swimming areas at the beach like you do in lakes down here haha. I went down to dunedin one holiday not to long ago to check it out but it was the worse sailing day ever. no wind at all. lots of boats only a couple on the water. Do they let you store your boat there? seemed like alot just sitting there with no people around really. also is there any other good launching areas around? Im in brandon area
  • I've kayaked around gators on some South Carolina lakes and never had them bother me. Keep in mind that they mostly stay in the very shallow tributaries, not the open water where you'd typically be sailing.
  • QuoteDo they let you store your boat there? seemed like alot just sitting there with no people around really. also is there any other good launching areas around? Im in brandon area

We worked out 2 nights mast up storage per week with the township. you need to purchase a $100 permit for the year (or $10 for a weekend) at the dunedin rec center. This just went into effect this year and proir to this people left cats for days/weeks at a time (angering many of the people who live on the causeway and they complained to the township and police often)

the only other decent places to launch (that i know of) around are dunedin causeway and davis island (tampa). i think there may be some places in ruskin? Also Clearwater Sailing Center (Sand key) has year round mast up storage for about $1200
  • In my opinion you will never have any issues with sharks. I think you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning twice than getting bit by a shark. Gators on the other hand would pose some concern, but on big populated lakes I doubt there is anything to worry about. Dunedin is a great place to put in and sail, just a ton of boat traffic (jetskis ect) on the weekends..

--
    H16 / Tampa-St pete
    --
  • QuoteIn my opinion you will never have any issues with sharks. I think you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning twice than getting bit by a shark

That what the folks in Scotland said. Then Nessie ate my boat.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Yea I think I'll just stick to the ocean. That was my gut feeling anyways. Thanks for the tips on the launch areas. Ruskin has a few boat ramps just not sure how easy it would be to launch a cat. I'll have to go over and take a better look. Dunedin was really nice that was my first time out there. Wish there were more places like it to launch off the beach like that. It seems like that place was made for beach cats!!
  • I live and sail on Lake Thonotosassa. There are plenty of gators in the lake. I've never had an issue, in fact it is rare to see them while sailing. They're very timid. No night sailing. I also take canoe trips down the upper Hillsborough River, plenty of gators, but none acting aggressive.

I've encountered sharks in the keys on a few trips, but again they were theer, but not menacing.

Learning on an inland lake limits how far you can drift in a capsize, but so would sailing only with an onshore breeze.

There used to be a nice launch on the southern end of Coquina Beach, on the intercoastal side of the island. I don't know if it is still there.

Enjoy!

--
    Todd Elozory
    H18
    H21SE
    Hobie Mirage Tandem Island
    Catalina 22
    Thonotosassa, Florida
    --
  • Wow, lot of great advise. I sailed hobies on the lakes in the midwest and never had to worry about this. Now I am in Florida (DeLand) and have asked the same question. Most people who have been on the lakes say the alligators will not bother you. Has anyone sailed in the gulf out of Tampa?
  • Gaters dont kill people, people with gators kill people... :) Sorry had to say it.

My understanding is that unless you step on them or otherwise harass them they will generally leave you alone. But that is the world according to Steve Irwin and look at where his advice got him. Sharks on the otherhand... if they think you look like a tasty seal you could have a problem. Fortunately I'm about 2000 mi away from any possibility of this, I just have to worry about the occasional leech, sturgeon or swimming bear or moose. Moose are possibly the meanest nastiest animals out there!!

Sorry I couldn't help but I'm enjoying the thread and thought some comedy relief was in order. If anyone is ever in my area i will show you some inland oceans to sail on.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • it's really a good thing we don't know just how many gators and sharks we share the water with...i've seen aireal shots off of pensacola beach where thousands of people are swimming with hundreds of sharks right there with them. gators are way more stealthy, prefering night hunting. let's don't even talk about snakes down south, we live in their world. good news is apparantly humans are not as tasty as the other critters they eat...not to say you won't get your arm bitten off or have a large scale flesh removal, but i just doesn't happen that often. i could do without mosquitos though.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • I can't get my girlfriend over her fear of sharks to get out on the boat with me on the Gulf of Mexico. I guess it didn't help that our last beach vacation coincided with shark week on the discovery channel. My brother and dad were glued to the tv watching it instead of enjoying the beach and sailing.

--
    Griff
    Hobie 16
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    --
  • http://www.facebook.com/m…575622859&type=1&theater

^^Picture of one of many sharks I caught between Sanibel and Ft. myers at the mouth of the caloosahatchee river.
    Which brings me to my next question, I'm on vacation here now for the past week and the next few days. I fish the Ft. Myers area every day from sunrise till 1 and in all my years of doing so i have never seen a beach cat out here. Except the one i rented in December. I think these Florida sailors are fewer than they make out to be??? Am I wrong andrew?

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Todd I've takin a jet ski to lake thonotosassa before and it broke down on me about 150 yrds out and had to swim it back. I was pretty scared the whole way. Someone had said it was mating season and they are more aggressive at that time too. Not sure if thats true but I was saying my prayers. I have all my arms and legs so I guess there may not be nothing to be afraid of or the prayers worked who knows
  • Born and raised in Florida. Use your head as anytime you go outside. Sure each can and will be a danger. You don't swim at dusk or after dark in fresh or salt water. Most gators are found near the shore, but don't think the big ones won't cross the lakes. The only time you have problems with the gators are around areas that tourist have fed them and or trailer parks. Retirees think its cute to feed them, and help them out. They loose fear of man and think they are getting something when they see you. Stay out of the cattails, bull rushes and woody banks. Look at it this way, he won't eat you alive, but will have to kill you and drag you way for later. Shark eats you alive, along with the cudas getting you in murky water. But then again, you don't need a rain storm to have lightning. Just use your head. Good Luck, and enjoy the sail!

Forrest

--
    Forrest
    I-20 USA-645
    Hernando, Florida
    "There's not enough rum in the drum"
    --
  • QuoteAm I wrong andrew?

YES... HAHA!

The issue is there are very very very few public launch areas (and yacht clubs/marinas, etc that allow beach cat access) on the west coast of fl. There is a guy from Ft Myers that drives to St Pete to launch (and race) his f16.

Condo's and private homes are taking up all of the beach front, most towns dont allow public boat launching.
  • We use a public ramp that is beach cat friendly. I did see a windsurfer today. and we see a lot of kite boarders now that i think about it.

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.