Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Advice wanted on Prindle 16 maintenance/repair work  Bottom

• Sorry for the length in advance, but I'd greatly appreciate some expert advice.

I have a 1979 prindle 16 (my first boat) I have sailed it almost every weekend for 2 summers now on a big lake in TN. I just sail recreationally, but I am trying to take care of this boat and make it last as long as possible. It is insanely fun to bomb around the lake (in 15-20 mph winds) with 2 people. I'll list what I have done, but I have a few questions about things I possibly should do to my boat:

Already done:
    -replaced all standing rigging
    -replaced all lines, halyards etc... everything
    -new mast ball
    -installed new rudder crossbar, tiller, etc.
    -new jib cleats, mainsheet system etc.
    -installed righting system
    -new trampoline
    -installed double trap wires, and cannot wait to use them this summer
    -probably more that I can't remember

Current issues, questions:

1. One of the decks forward of the crossbar is a bit crunchy, not too bad, one is rock solid and the other makes a little crackling noise when you push on it... I was going to do the injection repair method, but should I just leave it, because it may be just solid glass and not foam core? as the post below describes
    (http://www.thebeachcats.com/forums/viewtopic/topic/12503/start/0#pid27761)

2. Gel coat is worn away on the bottoms of both hulls (not bad though), I think I can just put new gel coat on (avoid the whole glass bottom job)? tips on what to use, how to do this etc? hulls are white

3. What is a good hull wax/polish to use solely for the purpose of protecting the hulls and making them last longer

4. Also, what is the "correct" way to rig the downhaul... my mainsail is attached to the boom, and I have a downhaul system that pulls the boom and mainsail down, but it looks like according to the manual the boom should just rest, and only the mainsail should be tensioned?

--
    RRL
    1979 Prindle 16 "Flying Machine"
    Nashville, TN
    --
  • Your hull is basically a triangle. When you weaken one face of the triangle and then sheet in with 5:1 block system with two of you on the wire, the load goes up the mast, down the forestay and tries to break your hull up where one face is weak (just had a call yesterday from a guy in San Diego who broke his hull off !) Definitely inject it as it is foam core. Then take mast & rudders off, flip boat over and using 2" glas cloth (Jamestown Distributer) epoxy on at least four layers (after sanding lightly first &filling any divots). Sand next day with your rotary sander (5" velcro paper) and paint on thin layer resin afterward. Very easy to do & good for another five years. Next time you go to lake, instead of dragging boat over sandy beach, lay down two sheets white lattice (Home Depot) cut lengthwise (2' x 8'). Store on tramp for traveling. Any wax is good to keep staining down & filling pores on hull. Buy Murrays 12-2050 gooseneck bearing kit ($8) for your old style boom and add a Harken bullit or two for easier pull down. Pete
  • Thanks for the advice, I will inject it this weekend most likely... seems straightforward enough.

Do I really need to add fiberglass? or can I just do gelcoat? The wear is just barely starting through the gelcoat.

--
    RRL
    Nashville, TN
    --
  • Don't bother with any bottom repair if it's that minor. Gelcoat will give you very little bottom protection. Do the injection in the shade in morning or late afternoon. Be sure to wear gloves, fill syringe only 7/8, work fast and wipe excess with paper towels. Pete
  • I can take some pictures of the bottoms and post them, but are you saying if it just barely through the gelcoat then don't do anything? I just feel the urge to take care of the thing, but if it is not broken then don't fix it? As an aside, The hulls leak less than 2-3 cups of water over the course of 5+ hours of sailing in 15+ mph winds.

--
    RRL
    Nashville, TN
    --
  • If you're concerned about the 2-3 cups water after 5 hours sailing, use silicone to seal the hull/deck edge under the lip all around the hulls. Pinholes may account for the water when you're going to weather at speed. Pete
  • Thanks for all of the advice! One more issue... I was over at the boat today and noticed that the mast is not bent, but rather has a nice little dent in it about 2/3 of the way up... it was blown over in a storm and miraculously largely undamaged. Any thoughts? The sail track is very slightly pinched... so I will get it open again, but other than that I think it is just a cosmetic defect... the entire mast is still straight and only one side has the dent in it.

--
    RRL
    Nashville, TN
    --
  • Upload a picture of the dent, if it is locallized dent that just pinches the track a little it's probably OK. Just open and straighten the track. If it extends through the body of the mast (i.e. across more than 1/4 of the mast circumference) then you may need a pro repair by an aluminum welder to pull the dent and reinforce it.

Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.