Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

wooden rudder  Bottom

• I have a broken rudder on my h16. I have access to some free 3/4 inch marine grade plywood and was thinking of making one myself using the good one as a template. My thoughts were to cut it and shape it using a power sander and then using some fiberglass resin to protect it. Has anyone out there ever done anything like this or is there something I am missing considering I will use wood. I have bulit a similar rudder for a sunfish with no major pronlems. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. I imagine this is not class legal but I will not be racing anytime soon.

--
    Griff
    Hobie 16
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    --
  • Sandal wood would be good to use

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • You could probably do it, I would also lay some fiberglass mesh in to reinforce and stiffen the rudder a bit. Marine grade plywood definitely needs a seal coat whereever you cut it and at the edges or it will absorb water and swell.

I believe that most people use a lighter wood than that though, I've heard of quite a few cedar or balsa daggers and rudders out there with 3-5 layers of glass on them, but I am pretty sure you would have to put stringers (fiberglass plates) in the main body to provide stiffness and strength.

I would think that you should be able to get a used H16 rudder really cheap if you put a want add here.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • First off it would be class legal for the Hobie 16, but not most other classes.

1.1 Rudder blades made of another material, yet
    conforming to the size, shape and minimum
    weight of the standard rudder blades, may be
    used. Rudder blades must conform within the
    minimum and maximum dimensions that are
    found within the profile plans. Profile plans are
    available through the IHCA.

1.2 The maximum thickness of a rudder blade(s)
    shall not exceed 1.015 in. (25.8 mm.), tapering
    over a distance of 2 ft. (60.96 cm) to a maxi-
    mum thickness of 1/2 in. (12.7 mm), 2 in. (50.8
    mm) from the bottom tip of the rudder. These
    dimensions are for reference purposes only.
    Please refer to profile plans for exact dimen-
    sions. Profile plans are available through the
    IHCA.

They have to weigh as much as an EPO rudder, about 3 pounds. The original EPO rudders have a foam core and about three layers of glass and epoxy over that. So you don't need to make the core all that strong if you put enough glass over the top.

That being said a plastic rudder costs $25 to $55 depending. Shipping is usually around $25. For what it's worth as stock rudder weighs about 7 pounds.
  • The oddball home built rudder on one side will detract from the resale value of the boat. I have white rudder for $75 including shipping. Pete 909-800-5237
  • Differently go with replacements, the plywood even covered with glass and resin is not worth the hassle
    Not to take the sale away from Pete who is a great source of parts, but there a pair for sale on Ebay with a day or so to go on the bid.

--
    Jeff O
    N5.0
    solcat 18(sold),
    N5.2,
    H16
    Camarillo CA
    --
  • I bult a rudder out of plywood and it turned out well until I put the fiberglass on it. This was my time working with fiberglass and it turned out looking lack a hack job. The plywood blank looked great and I was really excited about it until i glassed it. I guess I need more experience working with fiberglass. I ended up bitting the bullet and buying a pair of used rudders on ebay. I now have a spare hobie rudder and a spare rudder that is ugly as h### but useable if I am ever in a bind!

--
    Griff
    Hobie 16
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.