Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

new sailor  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Really, I wouldn't help someone with an Aquacat!

Ok, maybe I would, but I wouldn't like it!

Ok, maybe they are a little cute and kind of neat.

dammit. OK but I draw the line at people with Sizzlers!

Well if one is still out there that floats... there was one in Jaws 2...

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Thanks for all the info. I almost feel like a sailor and I haven't gotten wet yet. I'm going to try for that H16, and see how it goes.

"Let me square the yards, while we may, old man, and make a fair wind of it homeward."

--
    Bruce Henry
    Lithonia and Lakemont, Georgia
    82 Hobie 16
    --
  • Certainly have fun with it and if you don't know about something just ask. There are no stupid or silly questions.

One word of advice before you ever go on the water pick up one of the decent into books on catamarans and read it from cover to cover. Then go sailing a couple of times and read it again. YOu won't understand everything the first time through but after a couple fo sails it will make sense. Rick Whites book is the bible but it isn't for a beginner. Pick up Catamaran Sailing From Start to Finish by Phil Berman and or The Catamaran Book by Brian Phipps. Both are good introductions.

If you can get someone to show you how to rig the boat and sail it that is even better (but pick up a book anyway because there are is lot of info that not everyone knows).

Lastly realize that you will likely scare yourself a time or two while you are learning the basics and your limits. Don't let that deter you, the most important thing is that you wear your life jacket and at least have someone with a motor boat available to keep an eye on you for the first couple of times you go out. That could save you a world of anxiety knowing you have a safety net waiting to rescue you if something goes wrong, you can't get back or you flip the boat and can't get it to right. Actually you should always have a rescue plan ready, just in case, weather it is a 2 way radio or cell phone for us guys on small lakes or a vhf radio for those Gulf guys.

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • I've almost finished Berman's book and have read parts of Whites book. There's some good video's on Youtube about rigging and sailing. I've run some pretty hairy rapids in a loaded canoe in days gone by, so I've been worried on the water more than once. Sailing seems to be a very challenging endeavor and I really appreciate the advice. Maybe one day I can offer the same type of helpful assistance I've received on this forum. Cheers, mates and may the winds be with you.

--
    Bruce Henry
    82 Hobie 16
    --
  • This string has been a blast to read. Hope the deal works out for you on the H16. Looking forward to the word on your maiden voyage!

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • We'll I bought the H16 and took it out with the owner in 15+ winds gusting in the 20s for my first time out. We were sailing only with the main because it was so windy, but that really limited our ability to tack. Some tough moments now and again, but we returned to our put-in in one piece. Land forms can really cause problems. I go back for another lesson, and then I'm on my own. I look forward to taking her out in lighter air.

--
    Bruce Henry
    82 Hobie 16
    --
  • reach48I'm guessing it will usually be me and my wife though I have a significant extended family who are getting excited about this. I've thought of maybe scaling down to a Nacra 5.2. Prindle 16 & 18's have a lot of fans. I guess the fact that the're not being made anymore scares me a little, but seems to be a good option. Thanks for the advice.

I wouldn't be too worried about this fact. I have a Prindle 16 that's needed (among other things) a new mast. Apparently most small boat masts are designed to about the same specifications so you CAN still buy new but, because they were also built so well it was REALLY easy to find a used one on craigslist.
    Having to repair a mast is about the worst thing that can happen to you. In my opinion a busted up hull is easier to deal with than a bent mast.

Buying a Used Prindle probably won't be an issue simply for the fact that by the time you are able to do any severe damage too it, you'll probably be ready to buy up anyway. And ANY damage other than to the mast and metal supports is usually simple to fix for anyone handy. They've been used and abused for 20 years! What's another 10?
  • The monohull/multihull argument is simple and has been settled in the minds of most people for quite some time.

Multihulls are generally better in every way except beating into weather without daggerboards and as cheap, roomy live-aboards.

The heavy weather argument is the simplest of all. Capsized keelboats sink, modern foam sandwich catamarans don't. They won't even sink if broken up. That sells me on cats personally.

icon_smile
  • I would also suggest not worrying too about buying a boat that isn't made anymore as long as it was relatively popular. If you go with Prindle/Nacra or Hobie most of the parts except the hulls are still available new and there are lots of used ones.

Most of the parts on any sailboat except the rudders, daggers and some of the castings are not boat specific. Rigging is mostly custom made to order anyway, as are sails and tramps. With masts as long as you have the top and bottom casting you can find a mast that will fit pretty easily. Even rudders and daggerboards can be home built out of wood or fiberglass with some time and shop skills. The toughest thing with some of the low production run boats (mysteres, sol cats, etc) is when the castings for the rudders, cross bars or mast breaks. Used replacements can be hard to come by and making your own is not possible. The only choice then is to retrofit a system from another boat or buy another used boat. Usually it's cheaper and easier to start over with a different boat at that point.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.