Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Tornado rudders  Bottom

• Looking for 2 rudders for an 1980's version Tornado.
    Anyone have any suggestions?
  • Don't forget to post a wanted ad in "Parts and Gear Wanted" so everyone knows what you need.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…6amp-3b-gear-wanted.html

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Try Jill Nickerson (Robbie Daniels wife) at Fun in the Sun - funinthesun AT juno DOT com
    they raced T's and had lots of parts back in the day.. she might have spares / know where to find em
  • I needed rudders for my 21SE Hobie and just made my own out of mahogany wood.It was too easy to do,I could not believe it.I had my old rudders as a template for the overall size,traced it on the wood,cut that out with a jig saw,routed out the edges(bull nose and sharp,used a large rasp to file the wood to meet the routed edges and shape it.The whole process took less then two hours for both rudders.My friend with a machine shop cut two exotic" plastic" sleeves to act as bushing for the stainless bolt pass through.I used a Forster bit to drill the wood for my new bushings(Teflon like) and glued in place.I wanted no friction between the rudder bolt and then wood.I little fiberglass and paint and went sailing.............

the wood ( 1.25"thick X,13" wide X 72" long) was $63
    the sand paper,paint & fiberglass was less than $120
    the bearings free
    My time was well spent and enjoyable( free)

So for less than $200,I ended up with new pair of rudders that are 2oz heavier than my fiberglass ones.
    Mine only regret was not to cut an extra pair for another $63 because I had enough other supplies left over to made a second set.I could have even tried a different shape just for fun,something more "high tech looking.
    Anyways,it was a good way to spend some winter hours in my garage.They are about 8 years old now and look great.I touched up the paint once..................Good luck,Bill 404 21SE

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • Here is a set of vintage wooden Toronado rudders on San Francisco Craigslist. Not mine.
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/boa/2201612215.html

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.