Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 16, Prindle 18, or Prindle 18.2  Bottom

• Sailed a P16 while in high school about 10 yrs ago and parted ways before heading to college. Go Noles. I'm finally ready for a "new to me" Prindle. Looking around Florida I have a few options. I am familiar with the P16, but am seeing some 18s and 18.2s for sale as well. I will be dropping the mast on occasion to drive to the beach and need it to be easy enough to do. I wouldn't mind more room and faster speeds of the bigger Prinldes, but don't want to get any more advanced than the P16. I have a few questions...

Is there big differences in sailability between these boats?

Are there big differences in rigging?

I've been told the newer P18.2 made by Performance Cat(?) aren't at all like the original Prindles. Any truth to that? They are newer and thus in better condition. There are more of these boats for sale than the rare P18. Any advice?

Thanks,
    Parker

--
    H16 / Tampa-St pete
    --
  • Yes get the best boat for the best price and do not worry about sailability. They are all as easy or as hard as you want to make them. Personally I would lean to the 16 over the 18 but the price is the determining factor. I was looking for a p16 or a p18 and found a Nacra 5.2 for 460 dollars. Haven't looked back.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • *WARNING - Prindle Fan Boy Reply*

P16, P18 and P18-2 are all similarly rigged with the exception of the 4-way
    jib control on the 18-2. P16 rig is smaller than the 18 and 18-2 but still
    similar. The 18 rig was transferred in its entirety to the 18-2 hulls.
    The 18 is an asymetrical (slab sided) hull. The 18-2 is a symetrical
    (rounded) hull design with dagger boards. The 18-2 is also 6" wider in beam
    than the 18. Thay are all easy to rig for 2 people, slightly more difficult solo.

As for performance. . . think of them this way.

P16 - small family sedan with ok power for the freeway

P18 - powerful minivan with very good power for the freeway

P18-2 - High performance midsized 2-door with excellent power for the
    freeway but will only reach its best with a driver who learns his vehicle

Hope this helped :)

------
    P-19
    ------
  • i'm with golfdad, get the 500$ boat... thats what i paid for my p-16. you will spend a few hundred bucks this season on stuff no matter what boat you buy(life jackets, trailor repairs, boat parts, etc.). the 18-2 is a totally different boat(center boards, and more control lines) than the 16 and 18. check out the sails real close and make sure the boats are complete. don't be afraid of soft spots, they save you big bucks on purchase price if the owner is freaked out about them and the repairs are cheap if you "ain't scared" of a little resin. i can't say it enough, i LOVE MY P-16!...it can take heavy loads in heavy seas and goes from trailor to ready in under 30 minutes...did you see dudes "prindle 16 as icebreaker" post!!!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Coastrat is correct that the Prindle 18-2 is a centerboard type boat, which is what I have. However I agree you should buy what you are comfortable with, as they are all good boats. If you are new to sailing, which it sounds like, and we all were at one time. Buy a boat that you are comfortable sailing, big isn't always better. Shop price, but also keep in mind condition and extras that come with whatever boat you choose. Extras that add up are main sheet blocks, hiking sticks, etc., stuff that is easy to miss on a first look. I also agree that the 18-2 is more complicated to sail than the 18, though the 4 way jib system can be taken off easily, which brings the 18-2 back to the same basic controls you would have on the 16 or 18. The 4 way just gives you more to play with for sail shape, and pointing ability. Happy sailing, whatever you choose.
  • Last summer I started sailing a P18-2, it was my first cat, not my first sail boat, I've been into sailing for over 30 years. Took me about 10 days to sort out all the extra special lines,blocks and the 4-way jibsheet control.
    The Beachcats forum was very helpful (thank you guys!) Now, after one season of sailing a P18-2 I can say it's a
    handful solo, so I simplified the jib-sheet arrangement and added some stuff I found useful.
    There's two P16's an one P18 on our little marina cat-club. All I can say the 16 and 18 hulls are build like tanks,
    it's possible to use the P16 as an icebreaker.....
    The P18-2 and 19 are much more fragile, and build as a racer derived from the Olympic tornado class. It has a lot of
    trim lines and needs a bit of effort to get used to.
    So, you don't wanna get more advanced than a P16 I'd say buy one or get the P18, you probably have to spend some bucks to go on the water, but they're great cats. So I'm with golfdad and coastrat.

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • Thanks for the info and opinions guys. I'll keep you posted on what I end up finding.

--
    H16 / Tampa-St pete
    --
  • In my search for a P16 I found this H16 for $1200 in great condition and loved the sail designs. After a new tramp, decals, and rail rubs she was sailing in my home waters a week later.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=79422&g2_

--
    H16 / Tampa-St pete
    --
  • congrats!

Safe Sailing

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Great looking boat, again what you start off looking for ends up being the best boat for best money. Congratulations

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.