Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

H-14T or P-16? Which to buy?  Bottom

• Well I have found a great deal on a h14t and a p16. I have owned a H-16 for a while and would rate myself as an average sailor. I scared myself off the 16 and sold it because after floating around for 3 hrs in the gulf and not being able to right it.

I am looking to get back into sailing but was wondering which of these top two boats I should buy?

I would like the easyer to handle boat and easy to right boat as well. Most of the time it would be me 175 lbs and my girlfriend of 125 lbs on the boat.

Let me know what you all think.

O by the way I will be sailing just off the shore in daytona beach. :)
  • Both can be righted alone. My experience is that the H14 is easier to right but also much much easier to flip/pitchpole. Especially with the jib on as well. The H14 is not suitable for 2-up in 15 knots or more wind.
    The P16 is much easier to sail and trapeze off. Also can be sailed solo up to 20 knots going back to just the main. 2-up after 25/30 knots survival mode.
    We have both a H14T and a P16. I have sailed both, I think the ability to push the P16 harder makes it more fun for me.

--
    Stefan, Denmark.
    H14,H16,P16,P18,SC17,N5.8
    Team StaySail
    http://www.staysail.eu
    --
  • Thank you for the reply. I think I have pretty much settled on going prindle this time around. either a 16 or 18. i found an 18 for 1100 with trailer and call ready to go. The guy said there are some soft spots on the top but from what I have read I should'nt worrry about that it is an easy fix?
  • I am not able to right the P18 solo. the mast is almost 3 feet longer.
    But it is totally cool to sail P18. So much better then all the other asymmetric hulled boats.

--
    Stefan, Denmark.
    H14,H16,P16,P18,SC17,N5.8
    Team StaySail
    http://www.staysail.eu
    --
  • The Hobie 14 is one of the worst sailing cats there is. The turbo is much better but still not good compared to racing cats, but the 14 is great when used for what it was designed to do, surf, and beach through breaking surf. I love it. I have a Turbo 14. I sail alone in the Pacific Ocean, Moss Landing, in high winds. I roll the jib in when the wind is overpowering. I never tack, I jibe, what a rush jibing on the face of a swell in high winds. If I flip the boat, often, I can easily right it alone. Not the fastest boat, but my favorite. Dave
  • my p-16 is easy to deal with solo or with heavy loads, from the trailor to rigged and loaded in under 30 minutes. your girlfriend will be plenty enough help loading/mast steping if you need it.

Quotethe ability to push the P16 harder

right on! i get excited when the winds get over 15kts... i have been out in some pretty good seas giving it hell and the boat can take a beating...love the ruggedness. good luck!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Both fun boats but the P-16 is rock solid and the H14 is pretty twitchy. Given the choice and little other info the Prindle is the better choice. The H14 is really best suited to solo sailing for a person in teh 100-150 lb range. The prindle can be sailed solo or 2 up without problem and crew weight isn't much of an issue.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I love the H14T, but for your skills and crew, and the ruggedness/forgivness of the Prindle over the Hobie.. get the Prindle.

That said from a H14T and H18 guy. Hey, every boat has its place and use... you gotta make the fit right.
  • The two of you should have no trouble righting a P18, and it's a fun boat. I'd say go with it over the other two.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • My first 2 cats were P16s. I liked them more than the H16. They were both solid boats. I've never been on a P18, so I can't comment. We sold the P16 and bought a Hobie Getaway. Slower boat but still loads of fun.

Barry Martin
  • I am a love Hobie's but if I had to choose between the two I would get the P16 of course a H16 is what I would prefer. I have done some floating in the gulf myself (too much!) but it was because water got into the boat. Even a H14 is impossible to right if the hulls or mast gets full of water. It sounds like your boat had water in it or you did not know how to right a boat correctly. A P16 will not be an easier or harder to right than a H16. Also if you are sailing in the gulf thru the surf the Hobie rudder kick up system is one of the best made IMHO. Not up for a debate on it just my opinion. Here a good video onrighting a boat http://surfsidesailing.wordpress.com/videos/

Edited by fa1321 on Mar 02, 2011 - 01:34 PM.
  • I have owned 2 h16 and 1 p16, I liked the p16 better. Geoff Prindle improved on Hobie's design, that said I would let price and condition factor the most. Both boats are good, but the p16 seemed easier to sail and rig.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.