Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

High Power Downhaul for a boomed Nacra or Prindle  Bottom

• Hey Everyone, I have been progressively upgrading my Nacra 5.2 over the last couple of years. I got an awesome flat top main sail last year but found that with only a 3:1 downhaul and straight spreaders I couldn't depower it. I rigged a 6:1 downhaul but it really didn't fit in the space left by my mast rotator and boom. None of the off the shelf systems will fit my boat either.

Well I acquired some backswept spreaders and have been trying to figure out how to make a high purchase downhaul that I could fit. I was searching the internet and stumbled across this!!: http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=78848

It is an absolutely perfect setup for a tight area and very simple. You can reuse the stock cheek block and strap eye and move the multi-pully system to the side of the mast out of the tight spot and easily get upwards of 28:1 purchase, I wouldn't recomend more than a 12:1 for an old 1981 boat like mine, but it should work SWEET. The only downside is you can only work the downhaul from one side of the boat. You could install a second setup on the other side of the mast to give you access, but for guys like me who sail for recreation only set and forget is fine.

This system would also work for an internal downhaul inside the mast, if you have a lot of patience and a bit of inginuity.

I have been looking for a long time and when I saw this I got so excited I had to share! :)

D.

Edited by Wolfman on Dec 25, 2010 - 10:11 PM.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I would encourage you to look at the Nacra f-18 downhaul. My inter-18 has it and i'm 99% sure the newer ones have the same design (aka well tested). you would require the SS bracket that attaches to the mast just above the base. This has 2 "half/hinges" or gudgens that a STD Harken block and cleat attaches to via a pintle, 2 blocks on the mast just above that, 4 free blocks on the line. the 6:1 purchase is great. and its compact. I have a spare bracket from an old mast. Let me know if you go this route.

--
    nacra inter-18
    CNBP
    --
  • Cool if you have the bracket I would be interested. Also if you have good pics of the downhaul that would be good also, I haven't found a picture that shows the entire thing from one side or the other so I can't quite figure it out.

I worked out a way of doing a continuous 12:1 using the system above, but unless I can get used parts the stupid thing will cost me about $400.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Here's yer sign:

http://www.murrays.com/archive/26.pdf

Look at the "8:1 downhaul kit with double blocks" at center right of the page. This is a bracket that rivets to the bottom of the mast. It is what is generally done on the older NACRA

Edited by tami on Dec 28, 2010 - 09:45 AM.
  • Yes ... that picture is real close to what I have, except I have cheek blocks and a single free block vs. the double block ( I guess its 8:1 not 6:1. hinge block is a standard harken block, I have an extra, but want to keep as they get trashed if (ahem when) you loose the mast for one reason or another. I'll go look thru my parts box tonight for the bracket which includes the center cheek block. You should call Murrays and see what your cost would be for the rest of the parts. That page has them priced at $95 or $70 each ( I dont know the size)
    - 2 x double blocks
    - 2 x hinged fancy cam cleat + block .
    - about 30 ft of line (really).

$239 might be the cheaper option for the whole monty, ready to go.

--
    nacra inter-18
    CNBP
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.