Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

5.2 shrouds  Bottom

• My shrouds need to be replaced. My trap wires are swagged to the shrouds right at the thimble. My mast hound only has a single hole. I assume I will have to reswag or replace my mast hound with a three hole. Any suggestions?

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • mine is the same vintage and has the single hole hound like yours, later models had a double hole hound with the upper? hole being used for the trap wires?

if you carefully cut the trap wires off the shroud swage you should be able to reswage them apart from the shrouds. if you get the biggest anchor shackle that will fit through the hound hole you should be able to the fit everything on. i've gone back to a single trap wire set for my 5.2, now the boats are approaching 30yo they seem most likely to break boards,masts and hulls when twin trapped hull flying, so it makes sense to me to just have the 1 trap and depower a tad earlier

http://www.allproducts.com/metal/kingsnaps/Product-200861111535.html

Edited by erice on Dec 24, 2010 - 06:38 PM.
  • I have the same vintage boat and just replaced the shrouds and put on double traps. You can fit 2 big shackles into the hound hole (at least on mine). Use 1 for the shrouds the other for the trap lines. If you just need a single trap you can get someone like APS to make you a custom shroud, just send them an example. They usually have a really great rigging sale in January also! It is really better to send your rigger the old lines anyway, because the 5.2 shrouds, bridle and forestay changed lengths slightly in 1985. The pre made ones that Murray's and other sell tend to be the post 1985 lengths. I ordered those and found that the rigging didn't quite fit. Solved the problem by replacing my shroud adjusters with 10 hole ones and putting a second adjuster on the forestay. A bit of a pain but it works, better off sending the old ones in and getting the right lengths.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Thanks for that info Wolfman. I think I have the original setup in 1981.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Annapolis Performance Sailing's January Rigging sale has started. 15% off on wire and line, 25% off on rigging labor charges. I had my forestay and bridles made by them and they are top notch!

Also check out the Paraloc line for running rigging. They have some in thier Sale Line section and in the mail line. The Stingray line is pure dyneema, yet has good hand feel/grip and holds it's shape extremely well. It is my new favorite for halyards, tramp lacing and downhauls! Anything that needs a 1/4" diameter line or smaller, it does run about 1/32" fatter than published though. Might be a little slippery for sheets I still prefer VPC, Salsa for or Ultra-lite for those.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.