Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

H-16 Cradles Anyone?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• Would any of you H-16 sailors buy custom fitted hull cradles for your H-16? I'm looking for some winter projects and need a feel if these are needed...sailboxes.com

--
    Kenny Boudreaux
    2010 C2 F18 USA 323
    Goodall Design "Southern Area Rep"
    Owner of Sailboxes.com
    --
  • Kenny I would like to see you make some front and back mast cradles.

--
    Andrew ~ Nacra F17 #136, Hobie 18M #22
    --
  • I would consider cradles on the front of my trailer for a Prindle 18. I would imagine some made for a hobie 16 would be very similar. I second the Mast cradles.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • A good mast cradle would be very nice. Both front and rear.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • OK guys...looks like I'll be making some front and rear mast cradles. I know that the front cradle will be generic because of the Y flat bar, but the rear will be harder due to the different shaped rear cross beams. If any of y'all would like to trace your cross beams and send them to me, that would be a big help in determining what shape the cradle will be. I might have to make 2 moulds...one for the newer square beams and one for the older round beams. Your feed back is greatly appreciated. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

--
    Kenny Boudreaux
    2010 C2 F18 USA 323
    Owner of Sailboxes.com
    --
  • http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=76769&g2_

here is the cradle that came with my boat...i think it will work on both round and oval beams.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • A guy in our group with a P16 has one of those that came with his boat as well. Wish I knew where it came from and if they are still available anywhere.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • The cradles like the one pictured above were called Mast Caddies and were manufactured by a company called Midwest Aquatics out of Birmingham, Michigan. Best I can tell from my search they are no longer in business.

I have a nice used one that I would be willing to sell. $75 + shipping. if interested email me.

Edited by DaveW70 on Nov 24, 2010 - 07:43 PM.

--
    Dave Wilson
    Hobie 16, Hobie 14
    Tampa, FL
    --
  • DaveW70...how bout I buy it and make a fiberglass version...how much?

--
    Kenny Boudreaux
    2010 C2 F18 USA 323
    Owner of Sailboxes.com
    --
  • Kenny ... regarding the Hobie 16 hull cradles ... what's the cost for a pair? Also, if I decide just to use two, is it better for the cradles to be positioned at the front or back of the trailer? What kind of hardware is needed to attach? Thanks!

--
    Ralph
    --
  • the Mast Caddies are really nice but hard to find these days. I think it would be a good starting point to re-engineer a fiberglass version.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I'm guessing the same as the H-18 cradles...$78 each, not sure about the mounting hardware...will have to wait until I make one. I would start off putting them in the front.

--
    Kenny Boudreaux
    2010 C2 F18 USA 323
    Owner of Sailboxes.com
    --
  • Now I'm thinking about purchasing hull cradles for my homemade beach transport/dolly first, then possibly the trailer next. If I had the money, I would cradle everything, but it's too close to Christmas!

Regarding my dolly, the axle is 1" steel roll covered by PVC pipe & a layer of hard rubber. So possibly a couple of U bolts to attach?

The H16 hull shape is rather unique. Looking from the stern along the keels, the hulls are shaped sort of like two V's that are leaning toward each other. I assume the custom fit hull cradles will have to be installed so that the V's of the cradles lean to the inside, right? Or is that only for the stern? Are we talking one shape for the stern, another for the bow, and (the one I'm interested in - for the dolly) a different shape for the middle of the hull? You can see that I'm no engineer ... HA!

--
    Ralph
    --
  • Yea...I'll start with the front cradles, then the stearn, they will be custom fiited to protect your hulls. Started shaping the front cradles today! What size is your PVC pipe...standard size is 2"...this is what I'll shape the moulds to fit.

--
    Kenny Boudreaux
    2010 C2 F18 USA 323
    Owner of Sailboxes.com
    --
  • Kenny ... I finally got a chance to look at the PVC on my dolly axle. It's 1" PVC pipe, outside diameter around 1-3/8". But making the cradle to fit 2" should still work ... and you would also be able to attach cradles to a trailer cross beam that is 2" thick, right?

After you made your hull shape measurements, are you finding that you have different fits at front, back and middle or will you be able to shape a Hobie 16 cradle that can be used at any point (or at least a couple of locations) on the hull? Again, I'm looking for a cradle that fits the balance point of a Hobie 16 (with mast up).

--
    Ralph
    --
  • Yes on both questions...the base of the cradle will be appprox. 2", so it will sit on top of the 2" square tubing for your trailer and be able to bolt it on to your pvc pipe as well. The shape is made for the balance point, but should fit the stern as well...maybe not as tight but should be OK, if not, I'll look into building a rear set also. Contact me from my website and I'll send you a pic of the hull shape I'm working on.

--
    Kenny Boudreaux
    2010 C2 F18 USA 323
    Owner of Sailboxes.com
    --
  • I have a Mast Caddie left over from my Nacra that I just sold. It's in great condition and I can't imagine not having it now. For years I used beach towels etc. to protect my mast and crossbeam. The buyer only wanted the Nacra and not the trailer or Caddie. It expands to different size crossbeams and masts.
  • Send me a pic
    wgaryI have a Mast Caddie left over from my Nacra that I just sold. It's in great condition and I can't imagine not having it now. For years I used beach towels etc. to protect my mast and crossbeam. The buyer only wanted the Nacra and not the trailer or Caddie. It expands to different size crossbeams and masts.

--
    Kenny Boudreaux
    2010 C2 F18 USA 323
    Owner of Sailboxes.com
    --
  • Hi Kenny,
    It's just like the pic above but a pic of the real thing is in classifieds under "cat parts for sale", "trailer cat for sale - galvanized..." and scroll down to the pic of it or email me at wgary@aol.com.
    Cheers,
    Wes
  • OK Wes...I aleady have one of those.

--
    Kenny Boudreaux
    2010 C2 F18 USA 323
    Owner of Sailboxes.com
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.