Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Ice has thawed!  Bottom

• The local lake has finally deiced. I was wondering at what water temperature have you guys sailed. I'm thinking its still 33 34 degrees, but Ive been out and back dry before. and some days the air gets up to 50. what do you guys think? Last year I got out April 7th it was nearly 80 air with 50 degree water temp.

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • I think you should move.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • golfdad75I think you should move.

Good answer, but I'm a little tied down here.

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Are you sailing in a wet or dry suit or with just clothes?

--
    Scott
    ARC 21
    Prindle 18
    Annapolis, Maryland
    --
  • Ya, you should move!

My sailing year started Jan 28th. Once the air temp hit 60 it was time to go. Water was still 54 in the Gulf requiring a wetsuit. But I've been sailing every weekend since. Air temps last weekend hit 80 and the water temp was 67 still needing a wetsuit but kept it unzipped. I could have gone without it but when the water is still that chilly I want it on and ready in case I find myself in the water.
  • i did go sailing in ft. Myers on new years eve. it was 80 with some chilly waters not sure the temp. i wore trunks and no shirt. i do have a wetsuit that ill wear under my rain coat with neoprene wrists and neck hole ill wear my snow pants too. and i have neoprene gloves and boots. i think ill be dry

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • I believe anytime the water temp is below 70F you should have protection. Perhaps as a Boeing 777 pilot I am a Wuss, & to conservative, we get paid good coin to play the worlds most expensive pinball game & never tilt. The operative word is "never", it is all about risk management.
    The chances of going into the drink may be small, but what if you do? What if you can't right the thing, or the boat comes apart? Are you able to bob around in 60ish degree water & live through it? When the water gets down to the 50's your time of useful action,(even dressed in a windbreaker with under layers) becomes very short. Once hypothermia sets in, the first thing to go is logical thinking.
    I sail in Canada, & have gone out 3rd week of October. On a sunny day with air temp of high 70's, things are great. Cloudy day has the same effect of 5-10 degrees cooler. I dumped my 5.7 in a good blow, & was damned glad I was wearing a full wetsuit. It allowed me time in the water to sort things out & get the boat back up solo, twice.
    Personally, I go with the idea that I am prepared to spend several hours in the water...what if my boat sinks & no one comes along scenario.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I second that. Always plan that you will get wet and/or dump it! Remember that water temp is about 5-10 below the air temp normally (water temps are closer to the night time low). Water temps between 65-80 are normally fine without a wetsuit. 50-65 you want between 2 and 3 mm of neoprene on you - Farmer John and a spash top are fine. 40-50 you want AT LEAST 3mm of neoprene, probably should have a dry suit. Under that you really should have a dry suit.

Some of this depends one how you personally react to cold. For instance most Navy Seals can swim down to 40 with minimal protection. They are conditioned to it. Last October I went out and the water was about 40-45, I had 2 mm of neoprene but I realized half way through that my half gloves and booties were not up to the task. I wasn't too comfortable and if we dumped I would have had a hell of a time getting enough grip strength to get back on the boat. Kind of scary because we were basically the only ones left on the lake before winter so if we stuffed it we were screwed - no help coming til spring. I scared myself pretty good and I've dealt with deadly cold (-40 and then some) every winter of my life and probably have a better than average cold tolerance.

Anyway, the point is a good steamer wetsuit and some boots and gloves are a small price to pay to extend the season safely! A couple of chemical warmers (hot shots) to shove down your pants to counter excessive shrinkage probably isn't a bad idea either! :) That's an old Canadian outdoor hockey player trick. :)

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • get a dry suit. worth every penny. we ARE taling about survival should something bad happen.

we sail the great lakes (lake michigan/north of chicago). It's cold till june. with a dry suit we can sail 8 mos a year only taking december thru march off. without one you would be stuck with June, July, August, and September. and the good wind here is in spring and fall.

also if you are on bigger water ... get a VHF radio. flares in a nelgen bottle.

--norm

--
    nacra inter-18
    CNBP
    --
  • I'm just south of Chicago.... Sox fan. I've had my fare share of scares on Lake Michigan. June though September is Okay with me. The biggest problem with dry suits and any kind of cold weather gear though is i have enough trouble finding crew. so i can only go as cold as what my friends can round up to be warm.

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Yeah that's why I ended up in 2mm neoprene on a freezing day. My buddy was wearing my 5/4/3 steamer.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • Out here in Utah 60-65 is about the warmest water you get. Usually it is closer to 50. I don't even own a wetsuit. I gotta lot of natural insulation but 50 water 80 air is shorts and t-shirt sailing here.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Sounds like a pretty deep lake, we have a few of those around here. Mostly ours are pretty shallow so the air temp and water temp are similar. In the fall the air temp can be quite a bit colder than the water just before freeze up. What I said above are just general guidelines. When we were kids we would swim in 55F water all the time, not for long mind you, but below that it's a little iffy. If you step into the water and get an ice cream headache you know for sure it's too cold. :)

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • The local Cedar lake is 794 acres 20 feet at the deepest point. In the peak of summer time it will get up to 90 degrees on the surface. its not even refreshing to get in.

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Happy St. Patrick's day. There was 19 mph winds. 70 degree air temp and 45 degree water temp in NW Indiana today. All went well and I was more than warm!

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.