Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

hobie 21 se?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• hello all had a great season sailing my new to me h 18, then I came across h21 se for sale price is pretty right. I like the idea of bigger boat to be able to carry more people more room and of course the wings. It seems like sailing with teenagers there is always more than one or two. would probably keep it at the lake with mast up on trailer. 21 seems like it would be more stable with the wide beam.
    any one with any pros or cons to think about.
    thanks for any input....
    Ted

--
    Ted
    Hobie 21SE Feral Cat
    Upstate NY lake sailing
    --
  • Are you interested in selling the H 18? If so, where are you located?
  • ~~~ Gee Ted, ya upgraded already???? A 21 Hobie... The "Caddy" of the Hobie fleet !!!! LOL....... Invite me out sometime to go on it with ya. I thought about a 21 at one time, but too much cat for me.... My 18 is just fine (I still have my hands full) It would be more stable, more hull volume, could take more weight::: IE - BIG COOLER OF BEER WITH LOTTA ICE prost Did ya get the boat ??? Ya gotta call Pete & me next year... ~~~

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • Quotere you interested in selling the H 18? If so, where are you located?
    maybe if the price is right albany NY area then I could buy new sails for the 21

--
    Ted
    Hobie 21SE Feral Cat
    Upstate NY lake sailing
    --
  • Ted,

I loved sailing the H18 solo, or with 1 or 2 crew, but when there were two couples, the boat was a little sluggish in light winds.
    I could solo-right the H18 and pushed the limits for years.
    I was able to step the H18 mast solo, and get out on the gulf in about half an hour, after a 30-45 minute drive to the coast.
    I could sail on inland lakes or head to the coast. I wanted more crew capacity.
    I live on the largest lake in Hillsborough County (Tampa).

I moved up from the H18 to a H21SE almost ten years ago.
    I was warned that it is a beast.
    I love sailing it, but the set-up, stepping etc., is very tough.
    Depending on where you sail, the H21SE could reduce your sailing time because of the hassle with the set-up.
    I leave the mast stepped unless a hurricane warning is issued.
    I've only taken the H21SE to the salt water a few times.
    Trailing the boat expanded is by far easier than collapsing it and trying to re-expand it at the beach.
    Stepping the mast is easier with an EZ-Step, very difficult without it.
    I like to have 4 people to step, although I've done it with two.
    I've done it solo once, collapsed the tubular EZ-Step.
    I've replaced the tube with a bar. It will not break, or bow.

The few times I've trailed the H21SE for week long vacations on the gulf a few times.
    The sailing over the shallow in the Florida Keys was the best.
    In light wind we popped the chute and just cruised downwind, two teens snorkeling under the tramp, holding lines below.
    But the set-up was miserable, almost three hours from start to launch.

What kind of pricing is "right"?
    Where is the boat?

Todd Elozory
    H21SE
    Thonotosassa, Florida
  • As mentioned above, and from my experience with a SC20 with a 12ft beam, setup time is the biggest downside of a wide beam boat. If you have mast up storage, and a crew of 1 or more consistently then the H21SE is a great boat. Grab it and enjoy it. Make sure to inspect the wing pockets to make sure they don't have cracks and leak. If you are in snow country, make sure they don't fill with water and freeze in the winter. Some of the boat specific aluminum pieces (wings, beams, etc) may be hard to find replacements for, so check the conditions of them.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • [quote][quote]
    Todd thanks for the reply and comments the boat is here local I have driven by it for lots of years, it was in his back on trailer with bows up in air with numbers visible, I always thought it was a cool looking boat. when he moved it out to the road to sell this spring, I had just bought my 18 and stopped to talk to the owner, he has marked the price down a couple times it is at 3900.00 now. I found a hole in the bottom where wing socket probly froze so he said he would be up to lower price for that..so i need to go with some cash and see what kind of deal can be done.
    Ted

--
    Ted
    Hobie 21SE Feral Cat
    Upstate NY lake sailing
    --
  • Ted,
    It takes about an hour to set up my 21SE (including loading the cooler).I can rig everything myself but stepping the mast requires a second person to winch up that mast with a "telescopic crane" I built attached to the forward mast caddy.Most of my sailing was solo this season on my 21SE.I own a 16 also but seldom sail it (because I have a 21).I should probably sell my 16 but it is too cherry to let go of. icon_cool I justify owning two Hobie because the 16 was just for me and maybe a second crew member but I have proven to myself that the 21SE can be enjoyed without crew.When I go to the lake,I simple ask someone walking by if they will help me raise my mast and I have always found help for about 10 minutes.It usually cost me a cold beer or soda depending on my helps age.
    Good luck with getting that 21SE....Bill 404 21SE

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • This was my first season with my H21SE and absolutely love it. I sailed a H16 for 2 seasons and then got this thing. Size wise yes it is a monster being 565lbs, 300 sqft of sail (700-900 with spin) and a 33 ft mast.

On the water it is easy to solo (depending on conditions) and nothing compares to three people being trapped out flying a hull. Here is the last sail this year (I dont know how to sail telltales all over the place) http://www.sportstrackliv…xies/Oct-16th/68255/full

Honestly I think although a bit more work than the H16 its easier to sail, much more predictable. Its kind of funny to be sailing around and having the crew walking around even on the leeward side and not having to worry about flipping or pitchpoling.

Also every time I have pulled up onto a beach with people I always had people asking me about it. They knew it was a hobie but they never saw one that big...ha

I keep my boat setup all season, so I cant comment on setting up.

I pickup mine in NY with two spinnakers, spin setup, sails in great shape, two sets of standing rigging trailer for $2900
    I did need to rewire trailer, replace tramp, running lines and the wing sockets need work.

It is really an amazing boat, I cant recommend it enough.

I also sent a PM check your inbox
  • hey all thanks for input I am going to look boat over this weekend, I made owner an offer and he is thinking about it. I will be in market for sails as they are shot. any sugestions.

--
    Ted
    Hobie 21SE Feral Cat
    Upstate NY lake sailing
    --
  • customcraftsmanhey all thanks for input I am going to look boat over this weekend, I made owner an offer and he is thinking about it. I will be in market for sails as they are shot. any sugestions.

If you want to buy new kelly hansen (helly hansen's sister?) has good deals:
    http://www.kellyhansonsails.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1326940

Plus you have 90 days to pay....

You will love this boat
  • well I went and made the deal today and will pickup the boat this week. Looking forward to sailing in the spring.Needs two spots repaired on hulls, some buffing, coat of polyglow or something like that. hopefully we can get a season out of the tramps, and maybe repair sails for this season till I can figure out which to replace them with, square top, pin top, dacron, pentex, white or colored sails, so many choices and so much $$$
    will try to post picture

--
    Ted
    Hobie 21SE Feral Cat
    Upstate NY lake sailing
    --
  • Hey Ted,

Congratulations on getting the 21. Can't wait to sail again with you this summer.

Pete

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • ~~ Hey Ted..... Congrats on the 21. Let me know where and when ya sail with Pete. I'll bring my 18, you two have my phone numbere right ??? ~~~

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • I've had a 21se for 10 years and it is a great boat. I bought new sails a couple years ago from skip Elliott at Elliott Pattison Sails (epsails.com). I went with a dacron Jib and a Pentex square top main. They are very powerful and really well made. Skip has built all the NACRA sails for years and really knows his stuff. I have also heard good things about Whirlwind who advertises here.

With the right system you can rig a 21se pretty fast. It is just like an 18 just bigger. The mast is the tough part. I actually have a tougher time rigging my NACRA 5.8 since I haven't perfected the mast raising system yet.

--
    Dan Jebens Denver, CO & Lake McConaughy, NE Hobie21SE #270 "Jammin" Nacra 5.8 #656 "Una Mas"
    --
  • Hey Dan,
    How about some photos of your new sails?
    Thanks,Bill 404 21SE

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • You guys have talked me into it. I need to get me a H21, I don't understand the rigging though, 3 hours to launch? My 5.2 is 25 minutes tops. Is it that big a deal?

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Golfdad75,
    I rig my extended 21SE in about an hour with help and fill the cooler too.With 10-15 mph wind ,solo is fine.In 15-25 mph wind and than bring along your sailing buddies.The boat can be disassemble(retracted)to be 8'6" wide for long distance trips.Without retracting those hulls,I am 9'7" wide ?The outside of the wing seats are over 13'wide.Huge foot print....very stable and your sitting on a wing seat and not squatting on the tramp.
    Good Luck,Bill 404 21SE

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • Hey Ted congrats on the 21. I just bought mine this fall and had all four pockets frozen and broke. I did the work myself and it was not near as difficult as I thought or the fiberglass repair shop. I only had it out twice before the weather and time got bad but it was a blast. I had 5 adults on it and we rocketed past a Hunter 36 on lake Texoma like it was standing still. If you want to talk about the fix drop me an email and we exchange contact info.
    Drew
    drew@ntin.net
  • I don't know if I should congradulate you or chastise you. Really I am happy for you and you will like the boat as you have no choice. Its yours and you are going to make it work. I have had mine for almost two years and I am completely addicted to his this boat. My boat is now 23 feet 6 inchs long in its lake mode and 22 feet long in its beach mode. Self tacking jib,daggerbaords,spin with retrieval, large mesh tramp, 14 foot righting pole, raked forward bows. Lake mode has the extended sterns with non transom hung rudders, monohull like spade rudders. I recommend you just sail the boat as it is and just use it. I drive around with it in the extended to 9"-7" position and I take my chances with the law. You may want to weigh the boat as it is not 560 pounds, its a LOT more. If you ever want some free centerboards I have four. Send me yor email address if you want to see some pics. I did finally get a chance to sail with a F18 and he did catch me but it was harder for him than he thought it would be. For what he paid for the boat I would have expected the F18 to really fly by me.

michaelacquart@yahoo.com

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.