Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Need for ratcheting mainsheet on H18?  Bottom

• Im in the process of upgrading the mainsheet on my H18 and is a ratcheting mainsheet necessary? I typically lock off the sheet when sailing and just hold it in my hand. I don't plan on racing the boat and I haven't yet had an issue where I couldn't release the sheet fast enough... With a ratcheting mainsheet do you typically sail with the sheet in your hand and not have it locked off in the cam?
  • I would not want to sail an 18 in anything over about 10 knots without a ratchet on the mainsheet. Much harder to sheet in and hand hold the sheet without the ratchet.

dogboy
  • I wouldn't sail my H18 without the ratchet either. Anytime there is enough wind to get a hull near to out of the water you will want to be able to hold he sheet not cleated, and you will get tired fast if you don't have a ratchet. What are you doing to upgrade the mainsheet? New block and sheet?

I went with a 8:1 block system and new sheets this year. If you don't sail in heavy air I would recommend a smaller ratio system with a ratchet before getting rid of the ratchet.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • the first 14' weta trimarans came without a ratchet on the mainsheet blocks for the 8.5m2 mainsail

then the factory started fitting them and now owners of the first boats are thinking of retrofitting ratchet blocks

the h18 sail is about double the weta's mainsail at 16m2

that would be awful hard work to handhold on a reach and stressful to worry about un-cleating in time when reaching in stronger winds

you should be able to pick up a 2nd hand lower block with ratchet for around a $100 and it would be money well spent

http://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/catamaran-parts/p10908-harken-triple-main-sheet-block-set.html
  • Yes, you absolutely need a ratchet on an H18 Mainsheet unless MAYBE if running 10:1 or 12:1 blocks. I would also recommend ratcheting blocks for the jib.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • i cleat my main off for the most part too. but also have ratcheting blocks, they are definitely nice to have when you in shifty, gusty winds. the main time i am uncleated is when i'm flying hulls...and they really help then.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • OK thanks guys. I need to upgrade my blocks badly, there original seaways from the great year of 1985, lol.

I plan on going with a harken 57mm ratchomatic triple (2629) w/ 40mm (2652) at the base and three single 57mm carbo blocks on the boom.

Does anyone know if the 40mm( 2652) will bolt onto the triple (2629) above the cam? And if that is strong enough? Otherwise I would have to buy the triple with becket and block (2632) which is more expensive.
  • you can add the 40 mm block above the cleat with an eyestrap.

--
    Philip
    --
  • If I do put an 8:1 purchase how should I rig the blocks to the boom? I was thinking of using two 57mm double blocks. The other option is two single blocks and a fiddle... One quad block would be nice but I think that may overload the stainless strap on the boom.
  • How were the old ones attached? If it was a 6:1 or 7:1 with a triple on the top, a quad should be fine. If it was the 3 singles (I think the 18s originally came with that) then you could possibly overload it with a quad, but not likely.

If you are worried about overloading it then the 2 doubles mounted on the 2 rearmost straps will work fine (and are probably cheaper than a quad).

If you would prefer the quad and are worried about overloading it you have a couple of options. You could replace the middle strap with a beefier one. It's pretty easy to drill out the rivets and replace it. Or you could get about 12" of 5/16" dyneema line and tie a loop around the 3 straps and attach the quad to that. That will spread the load of the quad over the 3 straps and provide you with more than enough strength for the 8:1.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • It has the three seperate straps on the boom. I probably go with the double blocks. With the double blocks shouldn't I use the two end straps on the boom to best replicate the original force direction of the mainsheet? I do understand that I would have more sheeting power using the end straps but with 8:1 it's not really necessary..

Edited by car_guy on Oct 31, 2010 - 07:31 AM.
  • Completely up to you. I don't think it will make much difference,

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • I would recommend using the straps that are closest to directly above your traveler when sheeted in. If the end strap is significantly past the traveler you will put your mast rotator in a bind everytime you sheet in. It will also put some odd forces on your boom. It might actually have less sheeting power, all depending on the angles of the blocks and the lever arm of the boom.

I used a quad block on the boom and a triple ratchomatic with a 40mm single as the base. Works great. I was a little worried about the 40mm block, but it is one of the first blocks in the system, so it gets much fewer revolutions then some of the last blocks in the system, when sheeting in or out. So don't size your sheet to that block.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • i had an 18 and added hangers (s hooks) so i could remove the blocks from the boom for storage. this led to tangles in my blocks. so i upgraded to a triple top (harken). it was GREAT. i never had any issues hanging it off the middle block hanger.

i later upgraded to the harken base (ratchomatic) and LOVED it. It was about a year before i realized that the auto ratchet feature WAS NOT WORKING. i called harken and after a few self-repair attempts they suggested i sent it back for a replacement. they were great to work with... but the point was with the 7-1 ratchamatic set up, i never realized i had no ratchet feature. i am sure it would have made a little difference, but i never even knew it.

granted i was not a very good (knowledgable) sailor at that time, and didnt know how much i didnt know...

I later upgraded to the quad top and i still use that system on my 5.5.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.