Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Advice on beachcat selection for rig test platform  Bottom

• I am interested in testing 4 to 6 different rigs to use on a short-handed, large cruising catamaran. One potential challenge for a couple cruising a large cat is the size and weight of the typical main. In my view, this is no problem as long as all works well, but it can be a real issue if there is a failure. Many people have suggested solutions for this: ketch, bi-plane, aft-mast, wing masts, junk rig, Balestron; all are possible. While each has its proponents, I have not seen any direct, data-driven comparisons. There is also a subjective aspect to the decision. For example, ease of use is somewhat in the eye of the beholder.

My plan is to buy two relatively inexpensive and identical beachcats. I will modify one so it can easily switch between the 4 to 6 rigs that I choose, e.g. extra chain plates, structure, line-handling systems. I will use the other as the base line, after adjusting it to account for the weights and moments added to the modified model.

Then, of course, I plan to sail them against each other collecting actual and qualitative data on performance. I will decide which rig I like the best and then scale up to a larger catamaran. I recognize that there may be some scaling issues, but I think that they are surmountable.

My question: which beach catamaran should I select as my test platform?

Some important criteria to consider (in no particular order):
    • 17 to 25 feet long: smaller saves $$ on the boats, rigs and sails; larger may be easier to work with and adapt (see the next point)
    • Able to take the added weight and structure necessary to test a half-dozen very different rigs
    • Fiberglass (not sure that it would be easy to stick things to a rotomolded poly hull, although I can see some ways to avoid the problem)
    • Simple: highest performance is not the key, but getting the boats in and out of the water has to be relatively easy (I can leave them rigged and in the water for some period of time however)
    • Sails well: I am going to spend a lot of time on them; they should be fun; I prefer wings for comfort
    • Identical: formula classes do not work unless the boats are the exact same version from the same manufacturer
    • Easily available: obviously, my focus is on the rigs, so extra expense in buying the hulls takes away from the budget for rigs and sails

It might be useful, though not essential, to have three cross-beams to more easily accommodate the modifications that I will be adding to the test boat.

Suggestions?
  • Hobie 16 is the easiest to find as there are tons of them out there, however do not fit your 17 foot minimum length. If you want wings, you are limited mainly to Hobie 18's and Hobie 17's. You might be able to find a Hobie 21, which also have wings but they are fairly hard to find.

Older Hobie 18's tend to be heavy and durable. If you are mounting things in various places older, heavy, thick fiberglass seems like a good thing. So I would avoid the newer high performance boats since they have lighter weight hull designs with only reinforcements where needed for the original rig.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • If your just looking to test rigs for a larger cruising cat I'm going to suggest a Shark.

Sharks can be found and on the cheap. Craigslook yielded this beauty.

They are very sturdy and have quite the structure to handle different rigs.

More importantly the don't really "fly" a hull so they will have a similar geometry to a larger cruising cat which will also not be flying a hull.

edited by: lonbordin, Oct 11, 2010 - 11:24 PM
  • http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=25163&g2_serialNumber=3&g2_GALLERYSID=d26d0d5918e32e4f0826a95f5e896940

--
    Philip
    --
  • Well I'll be... we were never able to get that sucker up when I was crew on one (LOL).

I stand corrected. Mummp that is an awesome Shark as well... love those woodies.

Still they sail more flat than a typical cat. I love Macalpine-Downie boats.
  • Thank you for the suggestion on the Shark. This is not a name that I had turned up in my research and I will consider it.

Mummp, you must enjoy varnishing more than I do icon_smile -- lovely.
  • I have a custom 24' cat that was used to test a biplane rig, pm me if you wish to chat about that experience.

Dave
  • Please update us on this extraordinary idea
  • QuoteI have a custom 24' cat that was used to test a biplane rig

That sounds like quite an alternative to a wind tunnel ans scale models! Show us some pics.

Andrew, put the rummies aside & work up a new avatar, it looks like a scratch on the negative of an old 35mm sunset picture icon_lol

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • davefarmerI have a custom 24' cat that was used to test a biplane rig, pm me if you wish to chat about that experience.
    Dave

Dave,
    I'm shootin' you a pm .....
    I'd really like to know about your findings on this.
    I got a biplane rigged beach cat design that I'm putting together.

Dragon701,
    this is a cool idea you got going on.
    I'd think this kind of test all sorts of folk want to know about.
    You might even get manufacturers to supply their rigs for the test?
    Of course if you got the funds you can just do the test minus any bias .........
    What kind of biplane rig are you thinking about?
    Also, If it were me, I'd forget the wings, to more closely simulate your crusin' cat stance.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.