Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Practicing righting  Bottom

• OK- so I have only sailed the cat once, and have not dumped it yet. I hear one should "practice" righting the boat. What the heck does that mean? How do you do that? To me, it seems like practicing pulling a knife out of your stomach- only one way to figure it out. Is it a simple matter of capsizing the boat near shore? In my redneck part of the world (north GA), I would probably have a dozen bass fishers come by to offer assistance. I'd like to practice at night in my back yard, but the wind swirls a bit too much back there.

--
    Eric C

Force 5 project boat
    Unnamed

Previous boat
    1980 Nacra 5.2
    "Double Vision"
    --
  • I'm with you HR. The only time I've ever been over is in the surf, and then you get to watch the waves rip the sails, break the rudders, stuff the mast into the sand, ect ect. I've been sailing for 17 years now, and have NEVER been over...if the windward hull gets too high, you LET OUT SOME MAINSHEET. Problem solved. I do think I should practice in the event of a sudden weird gust or something, but I've never had the chance. Maybe you could get a bud in a bass boat to hang out there with you while you give it a shot--at least that way you wouldn't be the object of a search and rescue mission.

--
    Repairable P18
    --
  • try doing it without the sails
  • I just capsized my new to me Nacra 5.0. I was on a broad reach in big gusty winds and pitchpoled. In hindsight I should have been at the stern and should have pulled the sails in to depower them in the 25 mph gusts. I was glad to have the opportunity practice righting the boat before a fisherman came by to offer assistance. The wind got under the sails (after I swam the mast into the wind) and the cat came around quickly. The fisherman said he clocked me at 18 mph! There are usually other boats around to help lift my mast during righting, but it is very reassuring to know that I can right it solo. I don't think I would bother to practice righting, but make sure you read up on how to do it and have a righting line readily available.
  • you dont ever have to capsize... just stay off the boat in winds over 3knots, don't ever push it, dont go fast, and never sheet in.

But if you plan to go fast, push the boat a little, maybe someday test the limits, and you like to feel the adrenalin of sailing fast... and such.. it is a GREAT skill to learn and could really save you (and others) in a bad situation (like when a sudden thunderstorm forms and you are not near the shore)

You SHOULD do it with another boat around (and hopefully they have crew on board that can assist you if needed). this will also discourage people from calling the coast guard and cops to "save you".

I have seem people who can sail VERY WELL capsize in 5 knots (yes they were in the wrong place on their boat, and had the sails sheeted in ways that can cause low speed flips). i have seen a guy recently capsize in 2 knots, and unable to right his boat (and he was in a shipping lane, know to have sharks in it, it was after sunset.. and i had to swim to his boat to give him assistance).

you can go to an area with little powerboat traffic. i would suggest you make sure your mast is sealed first or you will have to learn a much harder skill (righting a boat that is turtled upside down). I would suggest you have crew, or crew near by as i mentioned above (on another boat).
  • Righting practice makes for a fun day when the wind isn't
    blowing. Also makes the boat a bit harder to right. Last time we were camping and had the boat next to the swimming area. Informed the life guards what we were about to do and swam the boat out to deep water and hung off the shrouds to flip the boat. With a sealed mast you will plenty of time to try solo,with more people and with a righting bag. We flipped it four times and got really good at righting. Also gives everyone on shore and in boats a good show.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • you really should know what to do when you go over, how the boat will lay where to go ect you dont want to wait till you are caught by a storm. All the stink boats will have run for shelter and you will be all alone on lanier (which doesn't happene often i know first hand) plus the lake affect winds can dump you before you even see it coming so know what to do and how to do it will make that time a lot easier! righting is easy once you have done it a few times and KNOW WHAT TO DO. I highly recommend not waiting till a crisis to find out
  • I've been in a boat that capsized as a result of another boat being in the wrong. (during a race, we had no choice). Out on the trapeze, with kite flying.

It's not a matter of being a good or bad sailor, righting a boat is something everyone should try at least once. Reading about it is just not the same.
  • The most important thing that I learned was positioning
    myself so that I can grab the dolphin striker so the
    boat doesn't sail away. Sounds easy, but the first time you see those dagger boards heading for you the natural reaction is to get out of the way and not under the middle of the boat.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • Knowing that you know how to and can right your boat instills a confidence that takes the worry out of sailing your cat. This allows you to relax and enjoy it more as well as push it harder.

For me it was one of the first skills I wanted to learn and get out of the way.
  • As some people mentioned, righting your boat is a SKILL, not something you can just read about and do easily the first time you try. If you are not one to push the boat and yourself while sailing it is likely you will never flip. But that also means if you do flip it is likely an unexpected situation, and having the skill to get the boat back up, will make that unexpected situation that much less stressful. I have been sailing for years, as a teenager I would flip my boat probably every other day I sailed. Typically because I was goofing off. Until last year I probably hadn't flipped in over 8 years, but when it happened on Lake Michigan during a hairy (but fun) day on the water, I was very glad I remembered how to do it and got the boat back up quickly. Flipped it again this year, and again glad I had those years of practice when I was younger.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Flipped my Nacra 5.2 for the first time. I must say it comes over easier than my Hobie 16 or have I just become older and more forgetful?

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Eric - Are you on Lanier? I was planning a session of capsize/righting practice on Lanier in the next couple of weeks. I need to practice with my son so he (and I) know what to do when we do flip it (which we will). If you are up there then we could have a joint capsize afternoon - having another boat around would be great.

David
    NACRA 5.0
  • I'm close enough to Lanier- sailed on it many moons ago on a Sunfish. I found Hartwell to be more enjoyable- no monster wake-making mega yachts commonly found on Lanier. I might be able to swing this Sunday- 10/17?

--
    Eric C

Force 5 project boat
    Unnamed

Previous boat
    1980 Nacra 5.2
    "Double Vision"
    --
  • I actually dumped it for the first time a couple weeks ago on a small reservoir in Northern Utah. First I was alone on the boat which was actually a first as I usually have at least one of my sons with me. Winds were maybe 12-18 I somehow blew my placement on Gibe. I am not exactly sure how as I had done the exact same maneuver about a half dozen times before then(Did I say it was Small Reservoir) But as I was coming around and moved to the rear center, I had just put the stick around was grabbing the sheet blocks to kind ease the Boom when it came around and the next thing I knew I was in the water. I was told it looked like it went over in slow motion but it didn't seem that slow to me.

I wasn't to worried we were sailing with group of people. I managed to get up on the hulls which was my biggest worry as I am a very big guy. So after I mooned the entire shore getting on the hulls I rested a bit.

here is were I had trouble. I am sure I could right the boat I didn't actually try right away. because I needed to turn it. I had heard walk out on the bows so I did that nothing. I had heard walk towards the back I tried that but I can't go to far either way or I over balance the boat and it starts to cartwheel one way or the other. I did not try swimming it as first i was all ready on the hulls and was not about to go through getting back up again and second by then The first boat from my group has shown up and was circling trying to tell me what to do. Also motor boat came around that time.

Again I had not tried to right it I was first trying to turn it but I don't think they motor boat got what I was trying to do. I know they meant well and one had sailed small mono hulls before and ended up coming to the hulls to help only him moving on the hulls as well unbalanced things and put me back in the water. By then another of our boats showed up and one em jumped off and climbed up and righted it without turning it at all. I was too beat to climb back up at that point so I just let them. I slid to the back and grabbed the tiller and turned it into the wind as soon as it came up.

Then I had to get back on. I had practiced this once with my son and it did not go well and that was without being so tired so caved and climbed up on the motor boat and stepped over which not easy either especially with wakes hitting us. We also cold have sailed to the fairly close shore and I could have climbed on there. We were pretty much cleaning up for the night anyway so The guy who helped right it sailed us over to the ramp while I rested.

It was a good learning experience. Mostly that some times too much help is not good. I really think I could have gotten it up had I not been trying so hard to first turn it and then not had so much extra help pushing me to do something faster. I was not in any danger of going turtle the mast sealing seemed to have done it's job.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Eric - I can't make this weekend. I'll send a PM and we can connect...thx

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.