Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Looking for set of sails for a Nacra 5.7  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• My sails are dating back to 1983 when the boat was built and have done their job. I asked some sailmakers for a quote on new ones but really look to buy some used - it is a frequently used fun toy.
    Anybody has an idea? Would be greatful for a hint.
  • The problem is most of the used ones also date to the mid '80s. I'm glad my 5.7 lived in Canada, pretty short season compared to Florida, & weaker sun to boot.
    I saw a thread where Damon put a fellow in touch with a shop that had a like new suit for a 5.7,for $500 I believe, but they don't come like that very often.
    Some of the guys have had their Nacras suited by Chip Buck
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/module-forum-viewtopic-topic-1750.html
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/module-forum-viewtopic-topic-12060.html
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/module-forum-viewtopic-topic-2030.html

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • i'm sending my 1979 p-16 sails to SAIL CARE in ford city PA for cleaning and re-resigning and some repairs. my sails are in descent shape for there age and i have heard good things about the company and there product. check them out and see if that is interesting to you...if you buy some used sails they still may need some attention and new sails are a "capital investment". i will probably come in under 300$ for all of my work and the sails will be ready for the next 30 years...i have struggled with the thought of puttin 1700$(top of line whirlwind) sails on a 500$ boat!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • i had a 5.7 until about a year ago when it broke beyond repair. the sails were used probably less than 20 times but they are from the mid 80s. when i put them in storage about a year ago i remember them looking great, ill go take a look at them again and let u know a little more about them
  • Nacra 6.5, I sent you a PM. Don't worry Flying Twigs, I'm not in the market for new sails!

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • FlyingTwigs:

The CatHouse had 1 or 2 NOS (new old stock) 570 mains earlier this summer. You might try giving them a call. www.cathouse1.com
  • coastrati'm sending my 1979 p-16 sails to SAIL CARE in ford city PA for cleaning and re-resigning and some repairs. my sails are in descent shape for there age and i have heard good things about the company and there product. check them out and see if that is interesting to you...if you buy some used sails they still may need some attention and new sails are a "capital investment". i will probably come in under 300$ for all of my work and the sails will be ready for the next 30 years...i have struggled with the thought of puttin 1700$(top of line whirlwind) sails on a 500$ boat!

Sounds like a good option - except my sails are beyond repair... Status is pretty bad though still useable. Thanks for the thought.
  • Edchris177The problem is most of the used ones also date to the mid '80s. I'm glad my 5.7 lived in Canada, pretty short season compared to Florida, & weaker sun to boot.
    I saw a thread where Damon put a fellow in touch with a shop that had a like new suit for a 5.7,for $500 I believe, but they don't come like that very often.
    Some of the guys have had their Nacras suited by Chip Buck
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/module-forum-viewtopic-topic-1750.html
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/module-forum-viewtopic-topic-12060.html
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/module-forum-viewtopic-topic-2030.html

Thanks will check it out.
  • NACRA6.5i had a 5.7 until about a year ago when it broke beyond repair. the sails were used probably less than 20 times but they are from the mid 80s. when i put them in storage about a year ago i remember them looking great, ill go take a look at them again and let u know a little more about them

Hi Nacra6.5 - wedding of friends distracted me from the chat. Would love to hear, whether you still have the sail and would sell it.
  • RG7351FlyingTwigs:

The CatHouse had 1 or 2 NOS (new old stock) 570 mains earlier this summer. You might try giving them a call. www.cathouse1.com

Are you sure 570 sails work as well?
    I try that route as well, though the used sail of Nacra6.5 is a good alternative.
  • FlyingTwigs, Nacra 570 is just another way of saying Nacra 5.7

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • turbohoboFlyingTwigs, Nacra 570 is just another way of saying Nacra 5.7

So my request extends to a used set of sails for 5.7 or 570!
    Thanks for the adivse.
  • Call NACRA US, they have a 570 sail sitting there Jack will let go for $300 plus shipping. The colors are black orange an yellow pentex

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • The metric system is so easy, everything in 10's or 100's, 100 cm to a meter, so 5.7 meters = 570 cm. Dunno why the Americans have not adopted this, it's a no-brainer. icon_razz

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • We went through the pain in Canada when I was about 12. There were quite a few costs associated with the change, & grants were given to tradespeople, mechanics had to invest lots of $$ for metric wrenches.
    We did it because a tremendous amount of Canadas foreign trade was in large volume commodities,gas/oil, lumber, coal, grain. All of them trade internationally in metric tons, giga joules etc. A secondary reason was to become one with the scientific community.
    Of course there was much gnashing of teeth & predictions of doom, but as you mentioned the entire system can be learned in 15 minutes, 20 for the slow kids. I often wonder why we wasted days of our school life learning things like feet to a mile, inches to a yard, acres to a section, pecks in a bushel, ounces in a pound, (was that fluid, troy, dry or avoirdupois?) Where is it that water freezes & boils? Not a single measurement from the old British system had one iota of logic or consistency. I spent a lot of time on cars as a kid, I remember working on an ignition system & couldn't seem to find a wrench that fit, my Dad pulled out "an ignition wrench set", 32nds of an inch. That did it for me, give me metric. For those with science backgrounds the old system was very frustrating, only the Brits could invent a system of quid, stones, rods & farthings...
    In a previous life I engineered water projects, try to remember there are 43 thousand some odd sq feet to an acre,( and while surveying the project, an acre is defined by a "rod" moved across the distance of 1/2 mile, & if you did that 640 times you would have a section & that "rod" equals 16 1/2' & 3 of them is a "chain") & if I can contain 2000 acre feet how many gallons of water will we have?
    Even though we changed decades ago, there are still some holdovers. The breweries did not want to redesign their bottles, so domestic beer is 374 ml, vs the European imports of 500 ml.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Yeah, I do engineering work in Canada and the US and learned both systems in university (so I'm officially bilingual - EC will get that one). You want confusing try figuring out forces in Kips (Kilo-pounds). Slugs are always fun too.

Municipal governments here all still work in imperial and all 30+ year old design drawings and standards are imperial so you have to be able to talk in both languages. Unlike Europe where they have been metric for almost 200 years in places.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Ha Ha, bi is good, we have to be quadlingual to fly in China, Russia. Only the USA & Canada use inches of Hg as an altimeter setting, the rest of the world uses hecto pascals or millibars. The Chinese give us landing winds in meters/second, the Americans in knots (but visibility in 8ths of a mile, cause some early meteorlogical guy was German & they used octas),the Russians in kilometers/hr, & the Canadians a mixture of British & metric, depending on what the source of the data is.
    Everyone in the world sets altimeters so as to read altitude above sea level while sitting on the runway, except for Ivan, & SOME Chinese airports, they want to read "zero" on the ground. You have to be bloody careful, as those are killer items.
    Perhaps they have logical reasons, I think it is a leftover from the Cold War...ah Comradski, we did not actually loose war, only resting!

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • I'm all for bi and have been accused of it before. I think it is a better quality in the ladies though. icon_lol

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Thank to you all for advice.
    Never heard back from Nacra6.5 and his old sail.
    CatHouse did not have anymore 570ies on stock but Curtis had loads of good tips. Jack of Nacra US indeed had a sail for me and the jib, which is different for a 5.7 to a 570, I got newly shaped by Skip Eliott.
  • my fav.worst? imperial moment came when the nut i was trying to remove from the 747 tail was smaller than 3/8 and bigger than 5/16

being very cold and tired and WAAY up high on a lift being a metric baby i had to go through

"bigger than 5/16 is 6/16, which is 3/8

and it's smaller than that, so it must be a half size

so if i double up on 16 i get 32 and if i double up on 5 i get 10 and then i need to add 1

so it's an 11/32

think i have 1 of those in my special toolkit, cost a bundle and i hardly ever use it as i don't work on the engines, where this nut is probably supposed to be found"

standard similar sized nuts in metric are 8mm and 10mm and if it doesn't fit either of those it's a 9...

edited by: erice, Oct 15, 2010 - 04:52 PM

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.