Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Rough water condition boat of choice  Bottom

• So when the conditions are rough what boat do people like to be on? The reason I ask is Sunday we had 18-24kt wind with 5 foot waves, air temp upper 50's, on Lake Michigan in the Chicago area. In Wilmette we have around 200 cats on the beach. Most 16's and Getaways, but a little of everything. There were only 4 boats on the water off our beach and they were all H18 Magnums or SX's, all with wings. On a busy summer day four 18's on the water is about typical, it was just interesting to see they were the only boats on the water yesterday. For those of you not familiar with Lake Michigan, our waves are very close together and steep since they are completely wind blown, no ocean rollers here.

So if you have a choice, what boat do you sail on in rough conditions.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I have been on a Dart18 in 25-30plus. it was wild but FUNNNNN. it did get out of control, but we were basically sailing on the beach line, 2 up, 2out (on the wire) and came in when we could no longer hold our line.

This jan, i was on a Dart20 in 35-45. it was wild, fun and a bit scary. We had 3 onboard, 2 on the wire. We broke 3 or 4 battens on our first run to an island. we also ripped a few batten pockets out. After our very fast run to the island, we headed back home (only a mile or 2 away). There were moments when i KNEW we were going over, but the skipper never broke a sweat, smiled and steered us through it. (we never capsized)

These boats were built for the North Sea and have small sail area to handle it (although the dart20 had tornado sails on it)

Actually brings up a point, most of the cats here that sail year round have a set of high wind sails (pin top) as our winters and springs are often much windier than our summer
  • I loved big surf on my Hobie 16 I would fly over big waves! A Prindle 16 would work too but for really big waves a SuperCat would be my first pick. I have chose to stay on the beach with my 5.5 on big days and was pissed I sold my H16!

edited by: fa1321, Sep 27, 2010 - 10:33 PM
  • i LOVE my p-16...especialy for high winds and heavy seas. the small jib keeps the boat stable and the bows dug in. the big hulls can really take a beating w/out coming close to p-poling. the simple set up and rigging keep your focus on the wind and waves(no dagger boards,mast straightener,barberhauler,etc.). i have been through 50+kt winds and finished the race when EVERYONE else crashed and burned...love it.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.