Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Sailing Shops in Niagara Falls, Ontario  Bottom

• Hey everyone,

I'm going to be in Niagara Falls, Ontario next week and am wondering if there are any good sailing shops to check out nearby? We have essentially one reasonable sailing shop locally where I live and this might be a good opportunity to pick up a few things.

Regards,
    Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Fogh Marine in Toronto is about the biggest around, unless there is something just across the border in Buffalo. Fogh is the Hobie dealer, & have the most Cat stuff.
    They are on winter hours now,"Starting on the Tuesday after Labour Day (September 7) Fogh Marine will be open Monday to Friday from 9am to 6pm and Saturdays from 9am to 5pm."
    You would need a car rental, it's about a 45 min drive. Make sure you are out of the city by 14oo hr, the QEW sucks major a** during the morning & afternoon commutes.
    If the wife is with you there are lots of trash & trinket shops in a pretty little town 5 minutes away, Niagara on the Lake, lots of wineries, I think they have a published wine tour. The Falls is pretty touristy, though this time of year it will be easy to find parking.
    The Canadian side has the much more impressive views & close up & personal of the immense power of that much water,80% of the river goes over that side. The American Falls, the cantilever view platform you can see from our side is a bit of a bust. It only costs $2 to go down the elevator to the bottom, but there isn't much to see from that vantage point. The other viewpoint on the American side, the one on the Island, it's a State Park is nice, & has better views.
    http://www.foghmarine.com/index.asp

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • If you're going to be in Niagara Falls check out this place. They should have something for ya.

Obersheimer Sailor Supply ?1884 Niagara St. ? Buffalo, NY 14207 ? 716-877-8221

--
    Mike Conway
    H16
    Hilton, NY
    --
  • im no expert guys but im sure even andrew would agree, sailing anywhere near niagra falls is a bad idea!!

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Actually below the falls would be good. The river is wider than many lakes people sail on, & the prevailing wind would give you a reach all the way to Lake Ontario, then you have 12,000 sq miles.
    Above the falls would be a bitch. Huge current, whitewater, rocks, eddies, islands, &of course that final drop migh tput a damper on all but the most robust Cat.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • well if you servive the drop you atleast get to sail the good area

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • here's one of our fleet members. he said it was a rush!

http://home.roadrunner.com/%7Ebobkerr/images/falls2a.jpg

--
    Mike Conway
    H16
    Hilton, NY
    --
  • Heh heh, I design hydro power plants for a living so that's actually the reason for the conference. Not planning on sailing while I'm there but if I did, I would say Lake Ontario would probably be a good bet!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.