Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

mast float install on a Prindle  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Has anyone here tried to install a Hobie mast float on a Prindle mast (ours is a 16)? Hobie sells a universal shaft mount float for about $240, but their smaller float is half the price and I've been told it can be adapted to fit with a bit of work. Just wondering if anyone's already tried it and whether it's worth the trouble (the universal also seems monstrous at 22"L x 18"W).

Jason

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    Lake St Francis (St Lawrence River)
    Lancaster, Ontario, Canada
    --
  • It can be done and is very simple to do. You will need an old 10 hole shroud adjuster. Line up the adjuster with the 2 mast head sheaves and cut it so there is enough length to go from the front hole to the back. Then cut it to length so you will have 2 pieces. File the cut ends to get rid of any sharp edges. Then line up the float bracket and the 2 pieces with the mast head sheaves, remove the clevis pins and put it all together. The mast float bracket will only line up with the front sheave and you will need to add another clevis pin to the rear hole in the bracket. The adjuster will line up with the front and back holes of the mast head. The float bracket rear hole will fall some where in the middle of the holes of the adjuster that you cut. It is really quite simple and should take less than 30 minutes. Let us know how you make out. If you have any questions just post them here and I will answer them.
  • I have a baby bob if your interested. $70 shipped to 48 states. PM me if your interested
  • will a baby bob work for a prindle 19?
  • I just drilled extra hole in mast casting to just miss sheaves. Works great and boat is still fast enough to win local races. Pete
  • Quotewill a baby bob work for a prindle 19?

that is the question

edited by: Kevin219, Aug 31, 2010 - 10:49 PM

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • I'm OK with putting it on, but will it support the weight(physics) of a capsized prindle 19? I solo mostly and locating and installing the right mast float is my winter project.

all insights appreciated.

-j
  • jnesbittI'm OK with putting it on, but will it support the weight(physics) of a capsized prindle 19? I solo mostly and locating and installing the right mast float is my winter project.

all insights appreciated.

-j

Some float may be better than no float but why not just seal the mast with some marine silicone sealant?

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • good question. The mast is sealed, but i thought that a sealed mast is not sufficient in the prevention of turtling. am i wrong?
  • Depends how well the mast is sealed. On my boat with a sealed mast and baby bob it floats no problem. P19
  • Some guys have reasons for installing a float, others don't. I find that on my N5.7 with a well sealed mast, even with two people hanging onto the mast after a capsize, it doesn't want to turn fully turtle,(they have to let go after the mast goes under). I stuck it in the mud twice, at about a 70* angle, but having everyone move from bow to stern on the hulls freed it.
    Once I get bodies off the mast & out of the rigging my mast comes back up so that only the hound upwards is still in the water.
    Clean all fittings except for the mast base(to allow any water that does get in to drain), rivets etc with alcohol, then apply marine silicone sealant. Then tip your boat over in controlled conditions & see how it ends up. Grab onto the mast near the tramp to drive it under, then let go & see if it comes up. Try it again with an empty water bottle, small & medium milk jug tied on. If you decide you need/want more flotation, remember, the tip of the mast provides quite a bit of leverage, it will not take much of an additional float to keep it up once you get the deadweight out of the rigging. I experimented with a 1 litre (quart) water bottle duct taped to the mast but decided it was not necessary on my boat.

edited by: Edchris177, Sep 05, 2010 - 12:07 PM

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I capsized for the first time when i was soloing this weekend and had ample opportunity to observe my P19 in a state of 'sideways'.

context: I weigh 220 and the wind was pushing 25k.

B/c the mast is sealed it stayed reasonably close to the surface, however, not enough that i was able to right the boat with my righting line and me leaning way out.

that said, at no point did i feel like the P19 was going to turtle.

I am going to take Edchris177's advice and test and if necessary reseal the mast.

i am also going to purchase the larger hobie mast float as it can only help. additionally, i am considering a righting pole.

Thanks for advice.

• If you didn't turtle, and you didn't think you would... why get a float?

a float isn't going to make it easier to right the cat.. just prevent it from turtle (right?)

It is my understanding that it will actually add weight, and make it harder to right it with the added weight.

Were you bows into the wind?
    where you anchored?
    was your boom uncleated
    was your jib centered?

these are all the steps i need to do when righting.. and its alot to remember and get all set.. esp for the first dozen times.

if all those things weren't in place, then you don't know you cant right it solo (ps big air usually helps if you have the boat set up right ... but will hinder in the wrong setup

I think a righting bag is the way to go.... but have never tried a pole. they look nice, but i dont want the weight, hardware and i don't think they will give me the added leverage i need solo... so i carry 2 bags (i have a fat cat)

edited by: andrewscott, Sep 07, 2010 - 04:47 PM
  • Bows were into the wind -
    i was not anchored
    boom was uncleated
    didn't do anything with the jib.

maybe a B- for effort.

the righting bags sound good. but with your body weight and two righting bags how long can you hang onto the righting line? Can i assume that when all the other items are managed your time leaning out is short?

re: mast float good for anti-turtle but no bearing on righting cat: i was kinda thinking that the larger float would lift the mast up just enough to get some wind under the sail and break sail/water surface tension. in retrospect this probably is not going to happen unless i go with a really big float.

i'm rethinking float and preparing for more testing.

• This works on my 5.8 I only weigh about 180 and can right the boat by my self when it is windy. Have not tried it with out wind. http://www.thebeachcats.c…topic-12032-start-0.html
  • the design makes wonderful sense. I wonder what a carbon fiber pole would cost?
  • $299.00 http://www.murrays.com/mm…_Code=C-RI&Store_Code=MS

I have also know of people using windsurfer carbon mast and universal joints. My aluminum conduit has been on there for about 10 years and still looks OK. I tried a piece of 2 inch PVC pipe but it was not strong enough.
  • Quotethe righting bags sound good. but with your body weight and two righting bags how long can you hang onto the righting line? Can i assume that when all the other items are managed your time leaning out is short?

I have yet to try it with the 2 bags, but have done single bag about 6 times. i am certain another bag will not be a problem...

both bags will be on a single block system. when the bags are full you simply raise them from the water... get in front of them.. and use your shoulders to push out on them. they are attached to the righting line so its just a matter of pushing the line out as much as you can with your legs, and use your body weight ...
  • You shouldn't need a float to get the mast where the wind can get under it. If sealed only about 6' of the mast/sail are in the water. The rest of the sail, & almost all of the jib should be out.
    With the bows into, or better yet 45* to the wind, this will get wind under & lifting the sail.
    You are correct that you only need to get the tip of the mast a few inches out of the water & it comes right up.
    Often the top of the main will be slightly underwater, if you are heavy enough to lift the water on the sail, you are not strong enough to hold yourself fully horizontal a few inches off the water. Just hike fully horizontal & hang there for a few seconds. If the main is uncleated & free, the upwards pull will drain the water. As the water drains it will come further up, then the wind will catch it, & literally a couple seconds more & you are reaching for the V brace bar.
    I righted my 5.7 solo in 20 mph (I'm only 170 lb)with the jib cleated.
    It caught wind & helped lift right away, but in hindsight this might not be a great idea, because as soon as it rights you better have a good grip & be able to pull yourself aboard as it may start sailing.
    Other times I used a partial bag, sitting it on my chest, or as Andrew stated let the bag hang clear of the water, then get the line ovewr your shoulder & push out.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • No bob, make sure the mast is sealed like Geoff intended. Get a buddy, or carry a radio. Righting bags are good too.

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.