Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

stern repair on my 5.2  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• I use mine any time I want the hiking stick to stay put. Comes in handy when on the wire to set it down and straighten out the main sheet. When collapsed on the beach it keeps the stick in a protected location.

edited by: skarr1, Aug 25, 2010 - 08:25 PM
  • Hey Golfdad. I just got done with a complete re-do of my NACRA 5-2. In the process I had a conversation about the mounting of the gudgeons with Ron at Fastlane Sailing Center here in SD. When I was dis-assembling the rudder system I noticed that there were just regular washers on the inside of the bolts holding the gudgeons to the transoms which I thought seemed kind of weak. Ron brought up a good point that I think you need to consider. When you are attaching the gudgeons you want to make sure they are secure BUT...in the case of a failure not unlike the one you just experienced it is better for the bolts to [u]pull through the transom and leave a hole as apposed to pulling the entire transom off along with part of the hull and sinking your boat. That being said, when I re-assembled my boat, I just used bolts with washers.
  • Hey Adam do you mean use flat washers and no backing plate? I have finished the glass job, drilled the holes and ready to install the gudgeon.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Yep. That's how mine is set up now.
  • I would have to think that one over. I would not want the rudder stress concentrated on a small washer and lock nut.But I am sure your guy has seen more than me. On mine the outline of the backing plate cracked the stern but didn't pull through. But again I wasn't going but about 5 knots. I am sure more damage could have resulted. I will break down and order pivmatics.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.