Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Harken Triple Carbo Ratchamatic settings?  Bottom

• Anyone have an idea on how much tension or turns to set the ratchamatic for the load of my mainsail on the Nacra 5.5?
    I just got the Harken 2630 and need some input the intial settings as it does not look like you can adjust them on the water.

edited by: fa1321, Aug 27, 2010 - 10:32 PM
  • ATTENTION: E C Hilliard bust out the math like you did on my Adding Flotation to a Nacra post. icon_confused

edited by: fa1321, Aug 27, 2010 - 10:36 PM
  • I'm driving, I'm bored . . . .
    The answer is turn the allen set screw all the way in and then back it off 1/4 turn. You will spend more time getting the sheeting angle right!

--
    Philip
    --
  • I'll defer to Philip, I never touched my ratchets, they seem OK, though I did read the paragraph on Harkens site regarding adjustment. It is under "manuals", though I think it only tells you what size allen wrench to use, & what direction to increase/decrease loads.

Why the sad face on your post? I'm sorry my flotation post did not serve the purpose I intended. Rather than just give you a number of what the flotation value of a pool noodle is, I attempted to dumb the math down, & teach you how to calculate it, along with a bit of background on the relationship between flotation/displacement. This will then allow you, & others with the same question to calculate, instead of guessing, the flotation value of many items that may be used inside a hull.
    A little education goes a long way. If we give a man a fish we feed him for a day, if we teach him to fish we feed him for a lifetime.
    Actually that may not be correct...teaching a man to fish usually means he learns to sit in a boat & drink beer all day icon_lol

edited by: Edchris177, Aug 28, 2010 - 10:44 AM

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • E C Hilliard
    Dont be sorry it was an awesome post did not relize the guy was frowning saw the ??? and thought it was more of a puzzled face. I was thinking you had a math formula to figure the load of the sail that could help figure out how much tension to add to my new block. I was definately not poking fun at you if I gave you or anyone that impression I am sorry. Although I do like to take a stab at Andrew sometimes for fun!!! Lol!!!
  • Fair enough. That sort of math would be way beyond me. I sailed my 5.7 for 6 days before I figured out that I had ratcheting blocks, but they were turned off! I moved the switch thingy to "ratchet", & life was good. I think as Philip alluded to, just begin with 1/4 turn & change things by 1/8 or 1/4 turn at a time til you find what you like.
    We have 20 mph wind today & hot, so I'm sailing for 90 minutes, then coming dockside to add another layer of resin & cloth to the dagger board well of my Invitation. The morning was spent grinding & sanding. Seems some idiot, & I'm not pointing fingers or looking in the mirror, managed to hit the only rock in the bay at full speed with board fully down. icon_mad

Why does everybody pick on Andrew, his avatar doesn't look like a scab?

edited by: Edchris177, Aug 28, 2010 - 03:28 PM

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Edchris177I sailed my 5.7 for 6 days before I figured out that I had ratcheting blocks, but they were turned off! I moved the switch thingy to "ratchet", & life was good. I think as Philip alluded to, just begin with 1/4 turn & change things by 1/8 or 1/4 turn at a time til you find what you like.

Ed, you're probably confused. There are two different types of ratcheting blocks. fa1321 (nameless) was referring to the carbo ratchmatics. You probably have the classic blocks, which have an on/off switch, but no adjustment for the auto engagement. Back to my original recommendation. Turn it all the way in, then back off just a little bit (reason explained later). The intent is to get the carbo ratchamatic to disengage as soon as possible (go off ratchet) to allow free spinning of the sheave. With the spring turned all the way on, the ratchet still turns on very easily and prematurely, with a minimal load.

What is your name fa1321?

--
    Philip
    --
  • Thanks Philip!
    My name is Floyd I just have not taken the time to add it to my signature.
  • fa1321My name is Floyd I just have not taken the time to add it to my signature.

Thanks Floyd, glad to meet you.

You can also fill in your Profile by clicking on the Profile link in the left menu.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.