Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Do I really want a roller furling jib?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• After taking stock of my 5.2 yesterday and fixing those things I have been meaning to get to. I thought about the next project. I thought about a roller furler, but then I asked why? I sail off the beach in the Gulf of Mexico or Mobile Bay. I trailer my boat exclusively. Never singlehand. Can someone convince me either way?

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • It will take an extra 2 minutes to rig. Comes in handy when caught in a squall. Keeps the jib from flapping when on the beach. If your jib has batons, you might want to have them repositioned.

The lumps are caused by the short batons.
    That's the lumps on the jib.http://www.thebeachcats.com/modules/pn_bbsmile/pnimages/smilies/icon_lol.gif

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=75536&g2_serialNumber=3&g2_GALLERYSID=8722f6183bfdbfff971a8a421836f791

edited by: skarr1, Aug 08, 2010 - 10:53 AM
  • Sounds like you dont need it and they are pretty expensive. Talk to Teddy Turbo Cat he put a fuller on his old 5.2 and he sailed in very semiliar situtation. I remember him saying something about the 5.2 being picky about mast rake and after he changed to roller fuller jib he had trouble getting the boat setup like it was before he added roller fuller. Also on the beach you can just wrap the jib around the forstay if its going to sit for any lengtgh of time.
  • i can't justify one for me, a lot of money for something that doesn't improve speed(like new sails). i use my jib in really heavy winds and de-power the main, lets me point and keeps the boat stable(basicly a storm jib). being a trailor sailor yourself it will only slow you down on setup and breakdown. spend the cash on a new main, now that would speed you up! my original 33yr old sails are in amazingly good shape, thanks to staying clean, dry and rolled up proper. these days, any capital investment on the boat better speed me up!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • coastrat these days, any capital investment on the boat better speed me up!

Well said!
  • I think I will invest the money in a flathead main and race coastrat.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • i accept you challenge golfdad75, you get a new main sail and i'll get a larger ice chest and we will settle this on the high seas!

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • Only if you sail solo more than 90%, I picked up my Harken furler and swivel for $110, jib for $75, does not slow down setup as the wire in the jib luff is my forestay, I attach jib with pigtail and swivel to mast tang along with shrouds and step mast. Has been a lifesaver for me, jib is furled for launching, before beaching and when beached, furl jib in emergency for those squalls that suddenly gust 30 mph plus, jib sail does not hang up when tacking. All in all, best $200 spent on this H16. In fact, I'm not too sure I can remember how to use the original H16 forestay with jib that clips to forestay.

I think if I wanted more speed, I would use the original jib but do away with the seperate forestay wire and convert the original jib into a furling jib by adding the swivel and furler and removing the battons. As long as the jib sail is secured to the wire running up the sleeve in the luff at the top and bottom thimbles, there should be no problem. icon_biggrin

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Great investment. Saves me rigging time. Makes launching and landing easier. I can depower in gusty conditions. Gets jib out of way if we capsize. Pc of mind when boat is siting on beach in swirly winds (no unmanned launches). In other words, I have a jib when I need it and when I don't its gone.
  • if you dont have battons in the jib, there is no reason not to get a furler. Is is also great if you anchor as the jib causes the boat to swim up on the anchor and can run away from you. for under $200 this is a great upgrade. If you are going to do it your self, make sure you shorten the forestay to make up for the furler and dont forget the swivel up top
  • PDS624 make sure you shorten the forestay to make up for the furler
    This could effect your mast rake so be careful. I still think you do not need one.
  • You can still adjust mast rake with a furler, no different than without.

--
    Philip
    --
  • i solo my 5.2 90% of the time

when it gets hairy

i want to depower 20m2 of solo sail

if you don't solo

it's hard to see the need

however

if a setup falls into your lap...

edited by: erice, Aug 10, 2010 - 12:49 AM
  • I don't have one and want one. I think it's worth it just to not have to manually furl it on the beach.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • It comes in really handy as you depower and approach the beach. I dislike the jib flailing around when beaching.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • I personally like the Jib furler.
    It's come in handy on boats like the getaway.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • It' one of the best "convenience items" that I added to my boat. My hooter is also roller furling. Wrapping the jib around the fore stay by hand in any wind is a real pain. Getting caught in a squall you can reduce sail instantly. Perhaps the jib might last longer since it will not be flapping as much.
  • I put one on my Nacra 5.2. Wouldn't do without it now, for all the convenience reasons mentioned above. Not being able to trim is BS as far as I'm concerned. Yes the 5.2 is unbelievably sensitive to mast trim so you will need to make sure the forestay length is adjusted so mast rake is unaffected. If you're like me and don't have cash on hand for everything you would like to upgrade, you'll need to decide if you need a new main or a furler. In my case being able to lose the jib and get it back at will is what made me choose the furler over a new main. I sail solo most of the time though. In your case maybe the balance could swing towards go-fast features. It's your call!
  • furler is nice definitely...many perks to it. i keep reading something on this thread ane want to comment. if you are caught in a squall(35+knts wind) and can't make land, your best survival strategy is to point up as far as possible, totally de-power the main(travelor and main sheet all the way out), and use your jib to sail with. if the main catches any wind the first thing that happens is the boat takes off like a rocket then one of three things happen next. 1-you instantly flip 2-your mainsail ripps 3-rigging fails. your jib is not big enough to flip the boat easily. use it as the storm jib and sail into the waves and wind unti the wind subsides. it takes massive pressure off of the boat. andrew posted some stats on wind increase vs pressure on rigging and its amazing. the main sail is way to much sail in a storm. if you don't believe me then try it next time you get caught in one. the end of this years slip to ship reggata ended with a squall at the finish line, i was the only one to cross the finish after the storm hit, the rest flipped, ripped, and were blown way down the beach. this is standard operating procedure on mono hulls, most monos over 20' or so have a storm jib and if they don't they sure want one.

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • Skarr has it nailed, trying to grab & wrap the jib in any significant wind can get ugly.
    MUMMP is correct in saying there is no change to rake adjustment. Someone posted a photo of the drum being on top of the adjuster, that is the wrong way to do it. As long as you mount the adjuster on top of the drum, you can adjust rake exactly the same as you always did, make your forestay 5" shorter than original,(to account for the length of the drum & swivel), and you have the same adjustment range.
    If I always sailed with knowledgeable crew, & always off a beach with no space issues, the furler is probably not as important. However, it you buy a used one, & decide it wasn't worth it, you simply resell it here on Beachcats for the same amount you bought it for.
    I do about 50% solo, on a 2 man boat (N5.7)& the time/convenience factor is worth way more than the cost. I paid $120 for a used Harken,(Appx 250 new if you buy the 2 pieces as a kit)& changed the bearings to Torlon for another $25.
    If you go out 2-3 times a day it really adds up. They are not a neccessity, but much like the remote control on your TV, they soon become a must have. Keep your old forestay, & if you buy a new boat, remove the furler & transplant it on the new one.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.