Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Windward-Leeward Helm  Bottom

• In my younger days, I used to sail/race Cats and some Mono-hulls. after some time away, I recently purchased a Hobie Wave to sail on the lake behind my house.

I've been tweaking the boat to get it "balanced" and have run into something I can't quite figure out.

When on Port tack, the boat has a noticeable weather helm, while on starbord tack the boat has a lee helm. I've checked the following and made adjustments but still haven't been able to get it straightened out.

1. Replaced the rudders due to molding irregularities.
    2. Aligned the hulls. (center line forward and aft)
    3. Made sure the hulls were square. (measured diagonally)
    4. shrouds were the same length and set the same.
    5. Made sure the mast didn't have any play where the comp tip fits into the lower section.
    6. checked the bend of the mast under way to make sure it was the same on both tacks.

Anyone have any ideas on what else to check? Or suggestions on what it might be?

Charlie
  • Your on the right track with what you have checked. How about diamond wires and is the mast base in the center of the boat?
  • Steve,

The boat doesn't have diamond wires, mast is in center. Also checked the mast rotation is the same on either tack. Tightened up the tramp, took it out today and the same situation. This has really got me stumped.

Charlie
  • Is the boat twisted. If sat on flat ground one bow higher than the other? Never seen that but might be possible. Try sailing with one rudder on both tacks then switch. Bridle wires the same, attachment points to the boat the same length and locations.
  • The wave is a 13 foot boat. Are you setting in the same place on each tack? The father forward you are the more weather helm. You would be pushing the bow lower in the water.

edited by: skarr1, Jul 17, 2010 - 10:47 PM
  • Below is a copy from Matt Miller's comments on rudder rake in a Hobie 18 thread. Just an idea but you may want to check the rake on your rudders. Good Luck....

rudders raked more aft will cause weather helm... boat will round up. Lee helm is caused by rudders being too far forward... boat rounds down. The rudder that is loaded is the lee side, so on stbd... port rudder is primary. Try raising one rudder to be sure which is the biggest issue and in which direction you should more the blade.

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • Go to ww.catsailor.com and ask Rick White the same question. He is the one to ask anything about the Hobie Wave.
  • HULLFLYERGo to ww.****.com and ask **** ***** the same question. He is the one to ask anything about the Hobie Wave.

Just make sure you come back here afterward, that's not a good place to hang out too long. icon_evil

From your description and the things you've done, I think the "one rudder tucked more under than the other one" idea is probably it. It's possible for a rudder to have been drilled incorrectly, you could take the blades out and compare them carefully, or just swap them and see if the problem is reversed.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.