Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Solo mast stepping, carbon mast  Bottom

• So I basically lost out on a weekend of sailing this weekend cause I couldn't find anyone to come with me. On the plus side I did go flying instead. I have an SC17 and I'm a bit nervous about stepping the mast on my own. How do other people solo mast step with a 30' 50 pound mast? I tow with a small car (subaru impreza coupe).
    This got me thinking about a carbon mast but I don't really know diddly about that soooo.... Is there a good site out there that covers the basics of what to look for, how to spec, etc. I know they will be expensive and I think I'm ready for that. Bla bla bla, I'm ready for the learning. icon_smile Let'er rip.

Thanks, Carson

--
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    SuperCat 17
    --
  • For what a carbon mast would cost you could hire someone to come with you and help step your mast, then you would have crew too! icon_razz

Seriously, there are lots of solutions to solo mast stepping, it depends on the boat and what is the main problem. There are commercial solutions available from Murrays.com and many versions of home-made rigs.

This one is kind of representative of how they all work.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…pictures&g2_itemId=53380

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=53420

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • We used a handle winch system to raise a SC20 mast. Talk about a big heavy mast. But once you got it in position, one person could crank up the mast. Then you could have tied off a trapeze line and connected the forestay by yourself. Launch from a trailer and raising the sail solo is a whole nother issue. The SC20 system was the stock system on their trailer and used a Gin pole at the front cross beam. Similar concept to the picture above.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • i used the e-z mast step system for about a year.

now i solo my 30' 70lb (est) mystere mast solo. i have turned my cat around so i trailer it sterns to trunk (car). this way the mast (once the step pin is in place) it is already at an angle where i can get under it and walk it up.

dont get me wrong.. its heavy... if i sliip... i will need a new car... but it's possible without a gin pole.

another tip is to make sure you cat is level or even better tilted a little while stepping.

i do get someone on a safety line if anyone is around
  • I step my Nacra 5.2 mast solo quite often. Of course, if there's any help available I'm happy to ask. Solo stepping is slower and sweatier!
    What I do is park the boat in such a way that the wind helps keep the mast up. See if I can make use of some initial support like a fence or something for the top of the mast (or bring my own alum. "A" frame ladder). I need this to prevent the mast from jamming against the main beam. Attach a long line to the jib halyard and a turning block to the bridle. Feed the long line through the block and back through my jib furler cleat on the main beam.
    Pick up the mast and place it (rotated 90 degrees) on the ball and the support. Attach the stays and sort out the other mess so it won't snag (need a bit of luck here). Lock the ball just to be sure (well... less uncertain that is). Grab the long line and take up the slack as I walk up the mast and step onto the tramp. As The mast gets higher up I start to use the long line to help pull it up the last part. Then, holding the line taut, I step off the main beam and hook up the forestay.
    Reverse procedure for unstepping.
  • Andrew, Your mast is under 45 pounds. Fairly easy to step solo. One of the lightest extrusions out there.

The SC 17 is pretty stout(28'9" long but no spreaders).
    Do you need help lifting the mast or just getting it to stay in place till you can attach the forestay?

edited by: beachsailor, Jul 13, 2010 - 11:05 AM
  • QuoteAndrew, Your mast is under 45 pounds. Fairly easy to step solo. One of the lightest extrusions out there.

really wow! i thought it was much more.. i guess it just feels like 500000 lbs :)

it certainly isn't lighter than my h18 was

whats your boat situation these days (ps i am already sick of being passed by your old cat, couldn't you have de-tuned it a bit before you sold it) :)
  • Hi there, I can get it up and down but feel like I'm at the edge of my control with that. I usually get the second person to make sure the mast base stays on the ball even if it's pinned and then hooking up the forestay as I don't want to let go when it's just up there standing. I like the other fellows idea's about using a thin line to pull the forestay and bridle wires together. icon_smile
    An early quote I got for a carbon mast is $6500.

beachsailor

The SC 17 is pretty stout(28'9" long but no spreaders).
    Do you need help lifting the mast or just getting it to stay in place till you can attach the forestay? edited by: beachsailor, Jul 13, 2010 - 11:05 AM

--
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    SuperCat 17
    --
  • There ae several things you can do to make stepping solo easier.
    1.Tie hiking wires to the mast. Less things to get caught.
    2.If you don't trust the pin put a metal eye on the mast base and tie a line between the mast base and the front cross bar.
    3. Set the trailer up so the boat is bow down. You can do this but putting the rear trailer cross bar on top of the frame and the front trailer cross bar under the frame. This way the mast is straigt up or going forward when all the way up. This helps hold the mast in place till the forstay is pinned. Much better than using muscle to hold it in place.
    4. Always(if possible) step the mast with the wind(if any) coming from the sterns. Same reason as 3.
    5. Ease the side stays.
    6. run a line from the end of one of the hiking wires over the bridle wires, thru a turning block mounted on the tonge of the trailer back under the bridle wires to a cam cleat on the front cross bar(I use my spin tack cleat).
    With the trailer setup so the mast will stay up with little effort(after is is raised) you pull the line tight and the mast is locked place so you can pin the forestay.

I've been using this system for years on everything from a Hobie 18 to a Mystere 6.0.

edited by: beachsailor, Jul 13, 2010 - 02:47 PM
  • You know... all of these mast-stepping threads had me kinda worried when I first got the H16. Maybe it's not the heaviest one around, but I've never had any problem. The only "aid" I use is a light piece of line. I tie one end on the forestay, just above the eye and loop the other around the roof-rack on the car. To raise the mast, I just stand on the back of the tramp, one foot on the beam, and lift carefully (use your legs, not your back). Once the mast is up, I pull in and tie off the temporary line. All it does is hold the mast steady while I scramble down to attach the shackle. Then I remove it and loop it around a pylon to use it as a painter at the boat ramp.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.